Life Expectancy of Storing New Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who purchased extra oil filters and let them sit on the shelf for a few years........

What is the life expectancy of new oil filters?

Doesn't the filter media and gasket material get brittle or harden up over time?

I would use an oil filter that is 20 years old if it was kept in a cool, dry place.

I have about 35 PureOne oil filters and by the time I use the last oil filter it will be approx 15-20 years old.

Cool and dry would easily be 5-8 years for me.

Heck - I have even USED filters for 3-4 years in multi-year OCIs ... so storing on the shelf should be at least 2x that.

I know; pure heresy.

Last edited:
Poke at the ADBV now when it's nice and soft and then again in 10-15 years when you're getting ready to use the filter. If it's hard, time to trash it. Simple as that.

Here is what I said a year ago in a similar thread:
Oil Filter Storage

"I just interviewed two engineers about this directly. There is no specific shelf life but filters don't like humidity... especially if they have cellulose media (which absorbs moisture). One guy told me that if you see rust on the tapping plate, it's likely the filter has been exposed to too much moisture to be safe. The ideas above are great... ziplocks or airtight cans with desiccant... great! I am using a Foodsaver to vacuum pack mine. Upper limit... couldn't get them to commit to an exact number. One said, "in proper storage, a very long time." The other said, "at least five years." IMO, the vacuum packed idea makes storage life almost unlimited."

As other have noted, a very long time.
Rust on the base plate would be an indication that the filter shouldn't be used.
OTOH, since the oil flows in through the holes in the plate and flows out through the center threaded hole, I have used filters with minor specs of rust on the plate with no ill effects.

Thanks for the tips.

* Store in a cool, dry low humidity area.

* Add desiccant to the filter in a sealed compartment like a ziplock bag.

* Look for rust on the base or tapping plate.

* Poke the ADBV to see if it's hard.

I wouldn't be to worried .. I used 15yr old Group 7 (purolator's "B" filter) in my Taurus. Nothing wrong at all. I cut a couple open and they were fine.
They didn't have ADBV, which was fine, the filter sat upright anyway!

Notice though, that Honda OE filters have a plastic wrap on them? I bet they've planned on long term storage!

Forgot about the higher quality filters having a protector like a "plastic wrap" on them.

Ziplock bags might not be ideal, I've noticed they're pretty pathetic for storing food. Simple plastic wrap outperforms them by far.
I've used ziplocks myself for some rubber suspension parts that I bought prematurely. But I now have doubts about how effective they are, when they can't even keep an onion fresh for 1 week.

Think about the material components of the filter:

Aluminum
Steel
Silicone (or Nitrile)
Paper

All of these will last for ages when stored in a dry, cool area.

A garage shelf will serve as perfect storage for years and years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Hyundai OEM filters come with a peel off plastic seal over the open end.

Subaru OEM Oil Filters are also sealed.

Have been buying 1/2 dozen filters filters at a time when on sale and storing them in the garage, which gets up to 100*F. in the summer. Haven't seen or had any issues with air or oil filter quality.

The only really dangerous situation long term is high humidity, especially with cellulose media which doesn't like water much. Before I purloined my wife's Foodsaver, I would stretch a nitrile work glove over the open end of the new filter with a packet of desiccant in there for long term storage. If you bleed the air out of the glove, the filter can be stored in it's original package. I do the same thing with my used filters (since I have a used glove after the OC, it gets a second job) after draining as it prevents them from drooling all over while awaiting proper disposal.

BTW I am usually 230 or 265 grain ( : < ).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I do the same thing with my used filters (since I have a used glove after the OC, it gets a second job) after draining as it prevents them from drooling all over while awaiting proper disposal.

this is a good idea!
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back