Life after free oil changes.

My daughter has a 2018 (and a half, if that makes a difference) Rogue Sport. Wants me to pick an oil and she mentioned Mobil 1.
I narrowed to Mobil 1 Extended and Mobil 1 AFE, both in 0w20. I know Extended is a couple bucks more but the rebate is a couple bucks more.
Anybody have pros and cons or prefer one or the other? Thanks.

We own a 2017 Rogue Sport and I've done oil/filter changes every 6 months regardless of the low miles the car is driven (less than 3k mi). (Dealer did the 1 yr. "free" oil change w/the oil I brought in. Their filter.) Ever since I've done the oil changes. This car has a relatively small 4 qt. oil capacity. I would personally never go too many miles between oil changes "extended" oil or not. Also, check your air filter! (For some reason gets much dirtier than expected in a shorter time span.) Great car! Many safe and trouble-free miles for your daughter! PS...I'm using a blend of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20/5w-30 w/great results. 1:1 ratio.

I'm using a blend of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20/5w-30 w/great results. 1:1 ratio.

Why even bother with the 0W-20? The PUP family of motor oils is so close together in viscosity that you might be better off just running straight 5W-30 without any worries, and you'll be slightly better protected in case you have to go a few more extra miles between oil changes, considering that small oil capacity. I didn't know why some manufacturers made these ridiculously small sumps. Honda has 3.7 quarts, filter included, for their 1.5 turbo engines.

Just curious, you're doing sub 3k OCs with PUP frankenbrew. What do you consider great results? Is a theoretical 2.5w-25 really any better?

There is an actual business that's selling motor oil with weird viscosity specifications like the one you mentioned so they don't have to adhere to any standard.

PUP motor oils are really good, and considering that both the 0W-20 and 5W-30 have a pour point of -48C, the Frankenbrew should still start with 0W. Funny fact, PUP 0W-20 might be identical to 5W-20, the only being the jugs. The specs are almost identical if you look them up. PUP is really good stuff so there is no good reason to mix it. The 5W-30 shears down a bit anyway, like every modern oil, so there is not one single good reason to mix them.

First two oil changes were w/Eneos 0w-20 and I did not like all the valve noise at start-up. So I began to really research the Nissan Mr20DD engine. The oil spec around the world was 5w-30 and up. So...the third OC was w/a blend of Eneos 0w-20/5w-30 (1:1). So much better. Engine ran much smoother and valve train noise wasn't as loud. After the Eneos, I stocked up on PPU when the oil was really well priced. Superb oil. Every oil change from then on was w/PPU. Slowly I'm increasing the ratio amount of 5w-30 to 0w-20. What I (and my wife) has noticed is the engine is running much smoother. This engine really needs a 5w-30 oil. The light 5w-30 oils are perfect IMO. The reason I'm doing it this way is that I don't want to use a 5w-30 while under warranty and I was curious. Soon I'll use a 3:1 blend. After I run out of PPU, I'll use Quaker State Ultimate 5w-30. Slightly higher viscosity than either the Platinum/Ultra Platinum. Why 3k mi oil changes? The sump is only 4 qts. The car is short tripped a lot. Small price to pay to have a great running engine and I get to do something I enjoy. Not a fan of the 0w-20 oil unless one lives in the frozen North. (I saw that the person whom started this thread lived in N. Illinois so I didn't want to mention my thoughts on 0w-20.) Hope this clarifies....Bill.

There is an actual business that's selling motor oil with weird viscosity specifications like the one you mentioned so they don't have to adhere to any standard.

I believe you're referring to HKS.

img_oilexp_pc.jpg

My daughter has a 2018 (and a half, if that makes a difference) Rogue Sport. Wants me to pick an oil and she mentioned Mobil 1.
I narrowed to Mobil 1 Extended and Mobil 1 AFE, both in 0w20. I know Extended is a couple bucks more but the rebate is a couple bucks more.
Anybody have pros and cons or prefer one or the other? Thanks.

Given EP is actually $0.01 Cheaper a jug after rebate, I would just buy the M1 EP 0W-20 and do 10,000 mi OCI assuming it's out of warranty or that meets warranty requirements. She can get two jugs with the rebate and assuming she holds 5 qt or less she is set until next year if she drives 20,000 mi a year or less. Probably OEM or Fram Ultra filters.

Might to write...Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP). Superb oil.

It's good stuff and what I've noticed is that Pennzoil tries to be at the forefront of oil formulations. Even their full SAPS oils are snow API SP licensed. Talk about being on the bleeding edge 😁

My only gripe with them is that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is always hard to find, you have to always order it online or pay through the nose at NAPA or some other store. I would just love to go to Walmart and be able to buy it off the shelf.

For a run of the mill commuter car I think you would be well served almost anywhere.

If you want to go synthetic I would consider supertech or offerings from Costco or Sams Club (Kirkland, etc)

if this rogue sport is a daily driver, with only a 4qt oil sump, i would focus more on a shorter interval than on an expensive, longer interval, oci. why not a six month/5000 mile oci with any decent, less pricey semisyn or syn 5w30 (e.g. supertech, something rated dexos1gen2)? also, if i were taking care of another’s car, i assume that the other person is less mechanically focused so a shorter oci provides a forced, more frequent, looksee of the car. fwiw i am irredeemably old school, i just can’t wrap my head around 20 weight motor oil...

Last edited:
For a run of the mill commuter car I think you would be well served almost anywhere.

If you want to go synthetic I would consider supertech or offerings from Costco or Sams Club (Kirkland, etc)

Yep. Whatever oil that meets spec. I'd be more worried about that Nissan cvt grenading itself.

Back