LG Red in a VW DSG trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just recently purchased a new-to-me 2013 Passat TDi with the DSG (tiptronic) trans.

I'm a huge LubeGuard advocate and use the stuff in all my Auto Trans vehicles with great success. However, the DSG trans is a different animal with no real torque converter and duel clutch setup. It also uses a very unique fluid. Is it safe to use LubeGuard Red in this and have any of you VW guys done this successfully?

The DSG is basically a high tech manual transmission that shifts itself. DSG fluid is like a thinner gear oil, not an automatic transmission fluid. So do NOT add it to your particular application.

Ask Lubegard, they will give you the correct answer Just email them with the question Then come back and tell everyone.

I hope you did not use regular ATF in that. If you did you might have problems. Volkswagen also recommends changing the fluid in the DSG every 40,000 miles last time I checked. Of course for my Passat with a 09G they say 60,000. I feel that they specify intervals that are just too long. I know a mechanic who works on Volkswagens mostly and he disagrees with 10,000 mile oil change intervals. He recommends 5000. I wonder what he would say about ATF and DSG fluid change intervals. If in doubt about the fluid type you can call or visit a VW dealer with your VIN and they will tell you what you need or at least give you a better idea what fluids you do need for that car. I do believe that DSG fluid is not dyed red like many ATFs are.

It is more similar to a manual trans than an automatic. So no, I would not use it.

There is a some friction modification for this automatically shifted dual clutch transmission. If LG has a specific fluid for this transmission I say go for it. Otherwise change the fluid and filter every 40,000 miles with approved fluid.

LG Red is mainly used for removing varnish on the hydraulic solenoids and clutch faces so I would avoid ANY LubeGard additive unless I knew there was a specific problem such as hard shifting or flare.

What is the G XXX XXX part number of your transmission?

It appears the DSG has a Spider Gear differential and if that is the case then a LV ATF with a healthy AW content such as MaxLife ATF should work.

Have the fluid analyzed to make sure it is a Low Viscosity ATF, which I suspect, it is.

Last edited:
a Tiptronic is not a DSG from past ownership, so check its numbers or with someone with more knowledge

All good info! Thanks guys, wasn't planning on using it or the ATF. I was just asking you pros for your thoughts. I know it isn't a regular Auto and I also know it requires a special "DSG" fluid that is stupid expensive. Mine was just purchased as a CPO and with 40k miles on it they just serviced the trans so I won't have to touch it for another 40k.

I however now have a peaked interest with molakules post about MaxLife.... I love that stuff! lol

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Hi guys, I just recently purchased a new-to-me 2013 Passat TDi with the DSG (tiptronic) trans.

I'm a huge LubeGuard advocate and use the stuff in all my Auto Trans vehicles with great success. However, the DSG trans is a different animal with no real torque converter and duel clutch setup. It also uses a very unique fluid. Is it safe to use LubeGuard Red in this and have any of you VW guys done this successfully?

Nope, no, no way.
Do change every 40k, use VW DSG fluid. Do not use anything aftermarket unless it is Pentosin.
VW did several versions of DSG fluid. First it was full synthetic, and now it is semi-synthetic fluid to address certain issues, and it seems it works best.
Fluid change in dealership goes between $230 to $500, depending on location and dealership. More dealerships around, lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back