LG NEXUS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought I'd post this. Google is selling these UNLOCKED starting at $299. So If anyone wants to give android a whirl without locking in to a contract, these phones should be a cheap way to test it out. They aren't 4GLTE (they're hspa+), but seem like a decent phone otherwise.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb

Disclaimer: I do not work for Google or LG and have no vested interest in these companies. I'm just passing along a decent priced, new, unlocked phone.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they didn't put LTE in their new top of the line Nexus model. This basically limits you to AT&T or T-Mobile in the US, or pay as you go derivatives thereof. Maybe in the rest of the world this will work out well for Google, but here, it doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, no love for Verizon customers.
smile.gif

I agree that it should have included LTE.

This phone's too big for my needs anyway, so I'll stop complaining now.
smile.gif

I have a Droid Razr but would like a bigger screen next time. This phone would be a great option for a pay-as-you-go GSM carrier.

But as you have mentioned, I love my Verizon service!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
No LTE in this day and age is a bit of a deal breaker.

I don't have LTE on my current phone, but I run youtube, pandora, Netflix over hspa+ without issue. Is there that much difference?

AT&T LTE in my are reaches 45 mb/s. Even at 10-20 mb/s it is a drastic improvement over HSPA+.

I know the 4G is faster, but what is the real benefit?

Like I said, If I can stream Netflix movies over 5mb/s hspa+ perfectly, where's the benefit?

I can't watch movies any faster. I can't listen to pandora any faster.

Fill me in here.

Let's say you want to download a large file, such as a movie with a file size of 500 mb. At 5 mb/s it's going to take 100 s. I get 20 mb/s on LTE so I'll use that number. At 20 mb/s it will take 25 s. So essentially you can download faster. This translates to web surfing. I notice web pages download faster on LTE than it does on HSPA+.

And even my phone which is a year older has LTE. I don't understand why a newer phone doesn't have it.

It seems to be a great device for the money. Google said that LTE frequencies differ so much depending on the carrier and country that the phone's price would jump up more than they would want. Even though though no LTE is a let down, I understand the strategy for being an unlocked global device for under $300.

And Verizon really handled their version of the Galaxy Nexus poorly so it looks like Google isn't going that route for this Nexus.

Wish it had a removable battery.

I'll only buy unlocked phones that can work on prepaid plans so this phone does look good. Wife LOVES her Galaxy Nexus.

If I was in the market I'd look at one. Can go with a few carriers.

Bill

Let's say you want to download a large file, such as a movie with a file size of 500 mb. At 5 mb/s it's going to take 100 s. I get 20 mb/s on LTE so I'll use that number. At 20 mb/s it will take 25 s. So essentially you can download faster. This translates to web surfing. I notice web pages download faster on LTE than it does on HSPA+.

And even my phone which is a year older has LTE. I don't understand why a newer phone doesn't have it.

I get that, but do people really download movies onto their phone? My curent phone would only hold 16 movies lol.

Do Americans have unlimited data plans? I only have 6gb on mine. I've come close to going over a few times. I'd be broke if I started downloading movies.

Originally Posted By: D189379

I get that, but do people really download movies onto their phone? My curent phone would only hold 16 movies lol.

Do Americans have unlimited data plans? I only have 6gb on mine. I've come close to going over a few times. I'd be broke if I started downloading movies.

I think 6 is the max in Canada isn't it?
I only have 1 gig. I usually try to use WiFi if I am doing anything besides email and basic messaging stuff on my phone.
I learned that when I used 106MB the first day I had my phone. Oops. Time to make sure I use WiFi for data!

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: D189379

I think 6 is the max in Canada isn't it?
I only have 1 gig. I usually try to use WiFi if I am doing anything besides email and basic messaging stuff on my phone.
I learned that when I used 106MB the first day I had my phone. Oops. Time to make sure I use WiFi for data!

6 is the most I've heard for the larger carriers.

One or two of the discount carriers offer unlimited, but they don't have 4G networks, and even their 3G coverage is spotty, at least in Calgary.

Depending on the area, you can get between 10-27mbps, on T-Mobile. That is LTE territory and probably with better coverage. Unlocked means you are not stuck on ATT which has [censored] hspa+ speed. Why pay $80 a month locked into a contact when you can pay $30 on T-Mobile no contact and get speeds that are undistinguishable unless you are a speed.net specs junkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back