Lexus IS500

Kudos to Lexus:

I think if they execute this right, they might get some BMW, MB, Audi drivers.
Their previous attempt to attack high performance BMW's, Audi's etc. was IS F. I had opportunity to drive it several times, and it was far from being capable as M3. It was hoot to drive, but execution was not there, mostly bcs. IMO know-how and some rookie mistakes (IS F had battery in the hood, which for higher performance RWD is IMO astonishing).
It seems to me that IS500 has engine pushed back more in order to create better balance. All IS models regardless that they are RWD (and this was especially the case with IS F due to engine size and that battery, among other things) understeer a lot. But it seems to me, at least from photos, that they paid attention to it.
Naturally aspirated V8 in small 4 door sedan? I might be looking at this down the road!

I doubt they'll get BMW, Audi and Mercedes buyers.

The Lexus IS500 and previous IS-F are more like American muscle cars... just fast in a straight line with a Japanese badge.

The Germans also have figured out how to balance handling and ride comfort, so the IS500 won't handle as nice as a German car, especially with a heavy 5.0L V8 throwing off the weight distribution.

Naturally aspirated V8 in small 4 door sedan? I might be looking at this down the road!
If this was available in 2018 when I was looking for a V8 sedan, I would have been seriously looking at it, although it sounds like it's going to cost quite a bit more than what I paid for my SRT. Still, it may be worth the price considering typical Lexus reliability and much nicer interior.

What transmission model is in this thing?

I doubt they'll get BMW, Audi and Mercedes buyers.

The Lexus IS500 and previous IS-F are more like American muscle cars... just fast in a straight line with a Japanese badge.

The Germans also have figured out how to balance handling and ride comfort, so the IS500 won't handle as nice as a German car, especially with a heavy 5.0L V8 throwing off the weight distribution.
I agree about all those points, but I think there is a point where people might be overwhelmed with push for technology that "mimics" driving entertainment. I do not expect IS500 will be capable as M340. But, question is: is IS500 handling good enough? I highly doubt IS500 is not going to handle very good, so we are talking difference between really, really good, and really good :)

If this was available in 2018 when I was looking for a V8 sedan, I whould have been seriously looking at it, although it sounds like it's going to cost quite a bit more than what I paid for my SRT. Still, it may be worth the price considering typical Lexus reliability and much nicer interior.

What transmission model is in this thing?
I think it is Aisin 8 speed designed for longitudinal engines. Old IS F was pretty fast shifter.

It is still an IS. Nice car and reliable.
It is no replacement for the GS, but it's all Lexus has.

If you want performance, you gotta go Tesla.

It is still an IS. Nice car and reliable.
It is no replacement for the GS, but it's all Lexus has.

If you want performance, you gotta go Tesla.
Why it would be replacement for GS? GS is bigger vehicle.
Tesla has V8? You can put your iPod in IS500 and there you go. Much better sound, and you still can play with iPod :)

Why it would be replacement for GS? GS is bigger vehicle.
Tesla has V8? You can put your iPod in IS500 and there you go. Much better sound, and you still can play with iPod :)
Drive a GS and drive an IS. You will understand.

As far as sound, the stereo in the Model 3 is better than the Mark Levinson Lexus stereo.
All good.

The world really is on it's head. Mercedes says all their C-Class models will be 4-cyl moving forward and here we have a Japanese brand still using a V8 in a luxury compact sedan.

Drive a GS and drive an IS. You will understand.

As far as sound, the stereo in the Model 3 is better than the Mark Levinson Lexus stereo.
All good.
I understand very well what is GS and what is IS. Those are two different category of vehicles. IS is in category if BMW 3, Audi 4, not 5 series or E class like GS is.
Driver of IS is not going to look at battery charge before turns on stereo.

The world really is on it's head. Mercedes says all their C-Class models will be 4-cyl moving forward and here we have a Japanese brand still using a V8 in a luxury compact sedan.
I think when they decided to put V8 in IS, again, that is precisely reason why they did it. Downsizing push by Europeans, and ballooning weight of BMW products (new M3 will pack 1,875kg), is blurring lines here.
I believe Lexus, if execute this properly, has a real chance here to get more traditional oriented drivers.

The problem with the GS is.... people rather buy a 5-series, A6, E-class or Lexus' own ES.
That is key Lexus problem. People who buy Lexus usually do not care about engine, FWD or RWD etc. IS500 I think is another attempt to make it more exciting (not very high bar). But, looking at BMW forums, owners of G20 3 series are tripping over this IS500.

I like that's a NA engine. This car would be easier to live with day to day than a Camaro LT1, I think.

Back