Lexus IS500

Don't assume, just because it has a double-wishbone suspension, it's going to handle well.

My dad's old Pinto had a double-wishbone suspension, and it wasn't a good handling small car

The M340i is rated at 4.4 seconds. AWD cuts it down to 4.1 seconds.
Step up to the M3, it's still 4.1 seconds.
Cough up money for the competition package, then it's a sub 4-second 0-60,
I am not assuming anything. Numerous vehicles have double wishbone, but they are not good handling cars. However, at least they are not doing some monkey business sharing parts with cheaper Toyota's. And it will handle well. Again, question s how well? Is it going to be close to BMW, Audi or MB, or not nearly as close?
M340 in testing is sub 4 sec car:

It is still an IS. Nice car and reliable.
It is no replacement for the GS, but it's all Lexus has.

If you want performance, you gotta go Tesla.
Meh, acceleration, yes, I’ll give you that.

E-motors win at that...until their batteries die.

Im the type that likes to take a performance car on an all-day drive out to the mountains of East Tennessee and WNC.

The new IS500 would be an ideal car to do that in.

Couldn’t do that in a Tesla. At least, not with current technology.

Get back to me when e-cars can go for an all-day drive in remote areas, while utilizing all their performance.

I doubt they'll get BMW, Audi and Mercedes buyers.

The Lexus IS500 and previous IS-F are more like American muscle cars... just fast in a straight line with a Japanese badge.

The Germans also have figured out how to balance handling and ride comfort, so the IS500 won't handle as nice as a German car, especially with a heavy 5.0L V8 throwing off the weight distribution.
Sure they will.

The most hard-core enthusiasts who are willing to sacrifice reliability, servicing complexity, servicing cost, and pay the entry fee for those Euro brands, perhaps not.

But, there are lots of folks out there who appreciate a good-handling, rear-drive performance sedan with a great NA V8 engine that will last forever and be as reliable as a Camry.

Lots of folks out there who have been burned by the undependability and costly and complex servicing requirements of those Euro luxury brands, and aren’t willing to compromise reliability for ultimate performance.

I am not assuming anything. Numerous vehicles have double wishbone, but they are not good handling cars. However, at least they are not doing some monkey business sharing parts with cheaper Toyota's. And it will handle well. Again, question s how well? Is it going to be close to BMW, Audi or MB, or not nearly as close?
M340 in testing is sub 4 sec car:
I quoted figures from BMW.

There is variation due to manufacturing, driver, and test conditions that magazines have to face with, so Car & Driver's single data point isn't as reliable as the manufacturers which has done numerous testing to get a statistical confidence level figure

Meh, acceleration, yes, I’ll give you that.

E-motors win at that...until their batteries die.

Im the type that likes to take a performance car on an all-day drive out to the mountains of East Tennessee and WNC.

The new IS500 would be an ideal car to do that in.

Couldn’t do that in a Tesla. At least, not with current technology.

Get back to me when e-cars can go for an all-day drive in remote areas, while utilizing all their performance.
How far are you gonna go in a day? The Model 3 Performance beats every other car in its class. More than acceleration.
But each to their own. Are you gonna get an IS? I bet it is a blast.
I love out GS350 F Sport, which is why I kinda struggle with the IS as a performance car. The GS (from 2013 to 2015) is a great car.

I quoted figures from BMW.

There is variation due to manufacturing, driver, and test conditions that magazines have to face with, so Car & Driver's single data point isn't as reliable as the manufacturers which has done numerous testing to get a statistical confidence level figure
Well, we will just have to live with that statistical anomaly, and maybe survive somehow.

Lexus are RWD but they understeer like good FWD (Audi). That tells you that performance is afterthought. I think their problem is that after 1st gen IS, they just wanted to please their core customers who wanted to feel cool. Hopefully they go at it now. One good point I read is that it is not IS F, why? Maybe even stronger IS? More capable? That would be interesting to see.
Toyota doesn’t do anything quickly, as we all know.

They probably won’t introduce a more performance-oriented variant for a couple of years.

How far are you gonna go in a day? The Model 3 Performance beats every other car in its class. More than acceleration.
But each to their own. Are you gonna get an IS? I bet it is a blast.
I love out GS350 F Sport, which is why I kinda struggle with the IS as a performance car. The GS (from 2013 to 2015) is a great car.
GS350F is more of a “sport” car than lighter, also RWD based IS with same engine? Tell us why? I seriously want to hear this.

You could kick out tail of FWD in right conditions. Audi AWD will fishtail on track, even in dry conditions, but they are known as understeer monsters (there is term "Audisteer"). It is heavy nose and tendency of nose to pull to other direction. On IS F there were aftermarket solutions in wider front tires and better bushings that provide better control. But, you cannot fight weight. Weight balance in Lexus is far from what is in BMW. Not only that, BMW is very specific where weight is located, so they use in newer ones carbon at high points (roof pillars etc.). That is why in the beginning I mentioned battery. Battery in car like IS500 has to pack the punch bcs. all the electronics, so it is heavy. Yet, it is at worst location, even though it is behind wheel basically. Much better location would be under back seat, or somewhere in the trunk (like BMW's do). To me looks like they pushed engine to the back a bit, which is good. As for 328, yes, bcs. weight balance is so much better it will be much more eager to take a curve and more natural. Of course there are other things too. I think Lexus IS should have double wishbone suspension, which is good.
My volvos were similar in that the batteries were in the trunk, and I know they aren’t know for it, but I found the s60s very willing to play and be nimble, especially for a fwd. Reading this, it starts getting me thinking “bad ideas.” I’d once considered a battery relocation to the trunk of the GS... and then also noted that power sports batteries are now AGM. one could parallel 4-5 of the suckers in a tall, skinny “side pack” in the trunk and they’d take up minimal space, or even possibly fit around or within the spare. Its so tempting to push the 50lbs out over the back axle. BUT, once I figured out it’s English, I kinda dropped it. I don’t need to be driving it like that anyway, and battery replacement time would be less fun dealing with my custom pack and harness.

still, your comment is inspiring, like, I could.....

My volvos were similar in that the batteries were in the trunk, and I know they aren’t know for it, but I found the s60s very willing to play and be nimble, especially for a fwd.
i don’t know what car you were driving but my S60R had the turning circle of two titanics welded together, the brain dead AWD and mega understeer didn’t help its cause either.

As very happy owner of 13' Gs350awd f sport, if I could only do with rwd, IS500 would be the only car in this category, that I would spend my money on.
We will be looking next year for a new car , as GS will be passed to my daughter.
Over 200k km and 8years of absolutely trouble free ownership.
And GS with good rubber is pretty decently driving car.

Back