Lexus IS250 + factory oil + short trips: Bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at an '06 IS250 AWD for my mother, who may or may not be able to handle a more rigorous oil change regimen than what's in the owner's manual. Thing is, I know the car is direct injected, so I wanted to see if anyone had any red flags to raise.

Please do NOT suggest synthetics or shorter OCIs. Those might not be possible. I am looking for a yes or no answer.

Assuming:

- 2006 Lexus IS250 AWD, automatic (direct injection)
- Almost all short trips (5-20 mins on suburban roads)
- Factory oil (dino)
- Factory OCI (5,000 miles)

Anyone foresee a problem?

The Lexus DI is different than the VW/Audi setup, and not prone to intake valve deposits because each Cylinder has a DI but there is also a single port fuel injector in the intake manifold.

I'm not sure why you think she would need more than conventional and the factory OCI. Toyota is pretty conservative with their engine oil OCI's.

The whole reason [at least I] would buy a Lexus over a BMW or MB is less maintenance and repair costs. Whey increase them if the payer/user sees no benifit.

How much does she drive? I mean, how long will it take her to accrue those 5k miles? If more than a year, then I'd change it once a year. Otherwise, what you're proposing sounds reasonable.

Don't think you'll have a problem at all. The 2.5 V-6, AFAIK, doesn't have any sludge issues.

On a premium vehicle, though, I'd splurge the bit extra for a premium oil. I just don't understand people who buy an expensive, top-line car, and then nickle and dime the service. If she (or anyone) is going to do that, just but a Corolla.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The Lexus DI is different than the VW/Audi setup, and not prone to intake valve deposits because each Cylinder has a DI but there is also a single port fuel injector in the intake manifold.

Excellent. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I'm not sure why you think she would need more than conventional and the factory OCI. Toyota is pretty conservative with their engine oil OCI's.

Yeah, I figured as much. I was just trying to prevent the thread from becoming a debate on the merits of synthetics and short OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How much does she drive? I mean, how long will it take her to accrue those 5k miles? If more than a year, then I'd change it once a year. Otherwise, what you're proposing sounds reasonable.

Good call.

I think she racks up something like 10k miles per year. She makes an occasional 2- or 3-hour trip.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
On a premium vehicle, though, I'd splurge the bit extra for a premium oil. I just don't understand people who buy an expensive, top-line car, and then nickle and dime the service. If she (or anyone) is going to do that, just but a Corolla.

Agreed. Just trying to account for the worst-case scenario.

Fair enough. It should be just fine. Beyond the 3.0 sludger, Lexus engines are pretty easy on oil.

5000mi OCI is high for all stop-and-go short trips. That suggests that you could do 10000 mi OCI with all-freeway miles on dino. Would you really go 10k on dino?

Just do what you think is best... then do a UOA to make sure the her driving habits and OCIs are not hurting the engine.

Decide on synthetics and a suitable OCI after seeing a report.

Last edited:
It's not just if the injectors are spraying and cleaning the valves. Having extra injectors with the DI is not a solution.

It is about the possible oil dilution of the DI and over richness of the programming.

Don't pass up a great deal, but there are other cars to consider.

The 2.5L V6 engine in IS250 is different from the IS350 3.5L V6. The 3.5L has both direct and port injection, and use port injection for low rpm. The 2.5L is direct injection only for all rpm range.

Don't worry about the fuel dilution. The 2.5L has a 6.6 qt sump that would be sufficient for any driving for a 5K OCI. If you compare this to other 4 qt sump engine, you can see that this increased capacity makes your 5K OCI equivalent to a 3K OCI on a 4 qt sump.

UOA on clublexus seems to show that you can even up your OCI to 7.5K, so a dino with 5K OCI should be more than sufficient. Someone has even tried 12k OCI on dino, but that went a bit too far on the UOA.

I'm just going to run 5K on Supertech / Peak dino or 7.5K on Valvoline conventional, and save the synthetic for my 12-14 year old cars for the 7.5K OCI.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The 2.5L V6 engine in IS250 is different from the IS350 3.5L V6. The 3.5L has both direct and port injection, and use port injection for low rpm. The 2.5L is direct injection only for all rpm range.

I see. No concerns with valve deposits on the 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back