Lexus bolt torque maintenance - Is it for real?

My 2006 Tacoma maintenance schedule includes checking torque on prop shaft (driveshaft) bolts. I checked them once, either they were tightened over spec or there's some corrosion making them hard to turn. Either way, they are not going anywhere. And I agree, very few people are actually checking these chassis/body fasteners. Most people don't even check their oil *gasp*

I've run across my fair share of loose Subframe Bolts causing noise complaints, Toyota's & Honda's mostly. Whether or not it's from a sloppy previous repair?....Don't really know.

Far as Torqueing fasteners.....I find it better to pull the fastener to torque slowly than to jerk it to torque quickly.
This is why I use a 75 ft lb torque stick with the impact set to 1 (or lately I've just been using the weak sauce black and decker impact driver) when torquing wheels to 100 ft lbs, gives the bolts some time to adjust to stretching and makes me feel better about getting a more accurate torque.

Thinking about this and it makes no sense. 30K in the rust belt those bolts are going to be rusted tight. So whats the deal loosen them so you can re-torque them? Hit rusted nuts and bolts with a torque wrench that with no doubt is going to click right off the hop even if the bolt is not bottomed out against the frame for example.
Lets force them loose, break the heads off, drill and tap them and use a new bolt and torque it. This is a but loony IMO

I can see it on a new vehicle, just try turning them with a normal ratchet and socket in the first month or so but after that no way.
buT tHe mANuFacTUreR kNOws BEsT

I've run across my fair share of loose Subframe Bolts causing noise complaints, Toyota's & Honda's mostly. Whether or not it's from a sloppy previous repair?....Don't really know.

Far as Torqueing fasteners.....I find it better to pull the fastener to torque slowly than to jerk it to torque quickly.
I have had a couple suspension bolts come loose after I've worked on them... But that was me many years ago trying to estimate torque... Now I just put them back almost as tight as it was to get them apart, and nothing has come loose since, and I still seem to get things apart again the next time, so I guess that's good enough.

i wonder if this may have something to do with the type of rubber toyota uses in its bushings. More than other makes, it’s my impression that their suspension rubber crushes and hardens quicker than other makes, leaving them loose and plasticky rather than snugged in rubber. as excellent as my Gen 1 tundra was, I was not impressed with suspension rubber. I’m a little skeptical about my Lexus as well and have debated the values of doing a suspension refurb in a few years. It tends to hit a little hard over minor road cracks, railroad tracks, minor pot holes.

Back