Lexus/Acura Dealer selling at msrp.

Was getting service at the Lexus dealer here in SW FL and noticed that their new vehicles did not have additional mark-ups on the window. I tlaked to a salesman about it and he stated that they sell at msrp with no mark-ups. He said they are a family owed dealership and have built a good rep over 20-30 yrs and don't want to lose that. He said that high demand, hard to get models still sell at msrp and they try their best not to sell to someone who is going to flip it. I found this refreshing in today's market.

I've been shopping a Ford Mavrick, and one ford dealer offered to sell at MSRP with no markups. It would be ordered from ford with a six month lead time.
Can't even order them at the moment. They shut the order bank down at the end of Feb, and probably won't re-open it until summer.

My aunt just bought a Lexus yesterday. Large dealer in Plano, TX. No mark up.

I know the car market is crazy today, but I'm surprised by some of the responses here about MSRP being a good price to buy. Are you all saying in regards to today's market specifically, or in general?

My last car purchase was the Giulia. MSPR was $55,390. I paid $51k out the door. With the exception of an '07 Charger I bought in '10 or '11 that was sold with a "Fair Market Price", I've never paid at or above the price listed on the sticker.

I know the car market is crazy today, but I'm surprised by some of the responses here about MSRP being a good price to buy. Are you all saying in regards to today's market specifically, or in general?

My last car purchase was the Giulia. MSPR was $55,390. I paid $51k out the door. With the exception of an '07 Charger I bought in '10 or '11 that was sold with a "Fair Market Price", I've never paid at or above the price listed on the sticker.
MSRP has always been a fair price. That's the whole point.

Below was good, at was fair, above was bad.

Now below is great, at is good, and above is "normal."

Looking to buy an Electric Vehicle like Kia Niro EV, Hyundai Kona EV or New Hyundai Ioniq5.
Not many vehicles available to start with at any dealer. Kona is not available in WA but Niro is. Those who have stock, all they have are EX Premium models for $4,000 more than EX model. Most of "in transit" vehicles are also sold at the same marked up price.

Most dealers mark-up $2,000 above MSRP for Niro, smaller dealers add $3,000. On top of those, there are many unneeded mfg or dealer installed options averaging $2,500, bringing the final price at $4,000 to $5,000 above MSRP. The new Ioniq5 EV, most mark-up $5,000-10,000!

Last edited:

In regards to today’s market.

At first i found these dealership practices, followed by consumer antics….. intriguing…… i now find the whole situation disturbing. Anyone and i do mean anyone whom is (regardless of if you have the finances or not) paying over MSRP for any car or truck is a fool. 5k over for a hyundai? Give me a break. Ya’ really think when you go to trade that lump on something else in 5 years the overage will be reflected? People have LITERALLY lost their financial minds. I feel bad for the people that are in a jam, car was totaled and or stolen, and have no choice but to get rolled, but these people supporting this business practice and trend are…are…. something that i cant even say on here…..it is just absurd, compulsive behavior. I work in the business and have my entire adult life. PSA here: THEY ARE SCREWING YOU AND LAUGHING ABOUT IT!

Hello people. Did anyone ever think the manufacturer jacked up the MSRP? Who do you think sets it?
Wouldn’t that indicate collusion between oem and dealer? oem’s compete with other oems, dealers compete with other dealers.

At first i found these dealership practices, followed by consumer antics….. intriguing…… i now find the whole situation disturbing. Anyone and i do mean anyone whom is (regardless of if you have the finances or not) paying over MSRP for any car or truck is a fool. 5k over for a hyundai? Give me a break. Ya’ really think when you go to trade that lump on something else in 5 years the overage will be reflected? People have LITERALLY lost their financial minds. I feel bad for the people that are in a jam, car was totaled and or stolen, and have no choice but to get rolled, but these people supporting this business practice and trend are…are…. something that i cant even say on here…..it is just absurd, compulsive behavior. I work in the business and have my entire adult life. PSA here: THEY ARE SCREWING YOU AND LAUGHING ABOUT IT!
But but but people "need" to buy that $70K (MSRP $57K) pickup truck NOW!

The manufacturer can list a MSRP as high the they think the market will bear. MSRP is not what the dealer pays.
True but MSRP is what OEM's advertise. Which competes with all the other OEM's. If they jacked their price relative to everyone else it'd be called out by the other OEM's in their ads. "Look we sell for less!"

The games the OEM plays with their distribution network is seems to be hidden to all, but a separate issue. All smoke and mirrors to me.

MSRP has always been a fair price. That's the whole point.
Not sure I agree.
MSRP is a number, nothing more. It has nothing to due with selling price beyond comparison.
Tesla only sells at MSRP. Model 3 MSRP has gone up $4K in the last few months.
I am not sure that is vastly different than dealership "Market Adjustment".

Just my 2 cents...

Not sure I agree.
MSRP is a number, nothing more. It has nothing to due with selling price beyond comparison.
Tesla only sells at MSRP. Model 3 MSRP has gone up $4K in the last few months.
I am not sure that is vastly different than dealership "Market Adjustment".

Just my 2 cents...
Correct. MSRP on anything with wheels is “sucker” territory. RV’s were a prime example. MSRP of 37k but sold for 19k. Yet now they sell at a “market adjusted price” of 42k…..all the while manufactures of literally EVERYTHING are cutting record profits?? Throughout modern times literally nothing has sold for MSRP, from washing machines, to hunting rifles, to Ford trucks. In the real world distributers are under MSRP. MSRP is the high point. Yet here we are….. i could swallow all of this easier if it weren't for the record profits recorded in all industries. Im tired of hearing about supply and demand. Nothing more than an excuse to price gouge. You dont cut record profits when supply is low. You maintain and keep your head above water all while waiting for industry stabilization. Tom foolery is a’ foot all the while fools buy in….

Correct. MSRP on anything with wheels is “sucker” territory. RV’s were a prime example. MSRP of 37k but sold for 19k. Yet now they sell at a “market adjusted price” of 42k…..all the while manufactures of literally EVERYTHING are cutting record profits?? Throughout modern times literally nothing has sold for MSRP, from washing machines, to hunting rifles, to Ford trucks. In the real world distributers are under MSRP. MSRP is the high point. Yet here we are….. i could swallow all of this easier if it weren't for the record profits recorded in all industries. Im tired of hearing about supply and demand. Nothing more than an excuse to price gouge. You dont cut record profits when supply is low. You maintain and keep your head above water all while waiting for industry stabilization. Tom foolery is a’ foot all the while fools buy in….
I would agree. During "truck month" truck discounts were $10,000.00 to $12,000.00 off sticker. And MSRPs have not gone down-but up. As much as I would like a new truck-it's just not worth $10,000.00 more to me.

Back