Lexus 32V 4.0L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I recently acquired a 93 LS400 that had been neglected by previous owners.

I have gone through several fluid changes and the car has been running a bit better.

I have gone thorugh an AutoRX treatment and am in the middle of the rinse phase. The AutoRX has helped!

The recommended factory fill for the oil is 5W30. At this time their is no oil leak. I have been useing Delo and Delvac 15W40.

My question is if I use a 5W30 will that oil shear to a XW20 after a thousand miles or so and if so is would there be an advantage to using a synthetic 0/5W20 or even a 5W20 dino?

There is also ticking sound coming from the engine. The car has 125K miles on the clock. Is this common for Toyota V8s?

not sure on the ticking, but once you clean it up with autorx, I think this motor would be a very good candidate for german castrol 0w30.

Its a thick 30 weight oil and a long lasting synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by lexluther:

My question is if I use a 5W30 will that oil shear to a XW20 after a thousand miles or so and if so is would there be an advantage to using a synthetic 0/5W20 or even a 5W20 dino?

There is also ticking sound coming from the engine. The car has 125K miles on the clock. Is this common for Toyota V8s?

Ticking is probably from sludged up lifter.

Dont use 0-5w20.
My 2c worth
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:

quote:

Originally posted by lexluther:

Ticking is probably from sludged up lifter.

Dont use 0-5w20.
My 2c worth
fruit.gif

the 1UZ-FE is shim over bucket.

Think I have seen discussion on this forum regarding replacing the shims. Do a search. Sounds time consuming.

Ticking is not normal at all for any Toyota engine!! Make sure it is not noisy injectors!!

I would two Auto-Rx treatment and run some Redline S1 injector cleaner!!! Even a Lexus can only take so much abuse before it need some $$$TLC!!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Even a Lexus can only take so much abuse before it need some $$$TLC!!

Tell me about it. 9 years my mom had a LS400 and she never took care of it even though she had the factory warranty. To this day, she still regerets trading the car in. Myself, I'm amazed it held up the way it did, it was a darn good car. I was only 14 at the time so there wasnt much I could do to help her out on the maintaince other than wash her car with dish washing detergent.
gr_eek2.gif
(I was only 13.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back