Let's talk tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any recommendations/preferences when the time comes for me to replace my set? The bike (07 Yamaha YZF600R) currently has the OEM Bridgestone Battlak (sp?) 57's. I can't find the exact set at their website, only a "56". 120 and 160 x 17 respectively. Not sure of the aspect ratio off the top of my head. Someone recommended sticking with OEM brands for handling purposes but I enjoy trying "new" things sometimes (and, I'm a tire nut).

How do you ride? Is cost and tire life important or do you just care about maximum grip? Today's sport-touring tires offer way more grip then you should ever need on the street and they last much longer then super sticky rubber.

Last edited:
How do you find the date on which the tires were made?..A news report just tonight out of Miami said they found a whole bunch of brand new tires for sale all over the place that were over 10 years old and because of their age can blow out at anytime..The oldest new tires they found were 14 years old.. The report said tires over 6 years old can be dangerous.Their seems to be a ton of very old [new] tires on store shelves everywhere.

Originally Posted By: cos
How do you ride? Is cost and tire life important or do you just care about maximum grip? Today's sport-touring tires offer way more grip then you should ever need on the street and they last much longer then super sticky rubber.

Still learning so I am not very aggressive right now. I value grip over cost and tread life. Now, I'm not looking for a track racing tire, just a real nice sporty, good/high grip, all weather (no snow obviously) tire.

Originally Posted By: cos
It's a 4 digit code on the sidewall. For example: 0604
That's a build date of June 2004.

Thank you very much.

If you are just starting out I would try some sport touring tires. You will get more life and they have plenty of grip for the street. I have several sets on my liter bikes. I would recommend the pirelli stradas and the conti road attacks. They are coming out with the dual compound sprt tourings now you might want to look at too. Like the pilot road 2, bridgestone 021, and dunlop is coming out with one. I am currently running the corsa 3s but I only bought those because of a trackday.

The idea of sticking with OEM tires is bunk. In fact, those BT57's are a relic held over from when the YZF was first introduced many years ago. You can do better for less money. Your size is 120/60-ZR17 and 160/60-ZR17.

Sounds like you are looking for a decent sport tire, not necessarily ultra high performance for the track. The Bridgestone BT014, Dunlop Qualifier, Michelin Pilot Power and Pirelli Diablo or Diablo Rosso would make great choices.

I've used the Pilot Power and Diablo and both are excellent and are available in your size.

Last edited:
I went from oem tires (bridgestone Battlax BT012) to Continental Conti Road Attack on m zx9r. The road attack is the sport touring tires, the Sport Attack is the sport tire.

My commute is mostly on the highway and I got tired of squaring off tires, and wanted longer tire life than 2500 miles so I went with the sport touring tire. Good grip , great tire life. 120/70ZR17 front, 195/50ZR17 back

Got mine from competion accesories, with a tire package deal.

So how many miles are getting on the contis, 02zx9r? I am getting sick of getting 3k running Pirelli Corsa's or Michelin Pilot roads. Love the grip, hate the tire life. I would be happy if I got 5 instead of pushing them to 3.5k and not trusting them.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
So how many miles are getting on the contis, 02zx9r? I am getting sick of getting 3k running Pirelli Corsa's or Michelin Pilot roads. Love the grip, hate the tire life. I would be happy if I got 5 instead of pushing them to 3.5k and not trusting them.

I got 6k miles out of the rear road attack on my 10. Its double the life of a sport tire.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Go to sportbikes.net and click on the FZ6 forum. There you will find that they have thouroughly hashed-out the tire thing. Lots of good tire information there

Search Here for Tire info for your 600R

SBN is a great site wantin...LOTS of useful info there
thumbsup2.gif

Goose
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson

i have less than 1000 miles on mine right now, the center "ContiAttack" is starting to wear a little in the middle but aside from that still look new

You don't have to stick with the OEM tires... just go with something in the OEM size. Like kballowe said, check on Sportbikes.net to get some tire info.

Also, you don't have to worry about grip with any modern motorcycle tire. Any of the ones that Bridgestone offers in the OEM tire size will grip sufficiently for street use. This includes the BT014, BT016, BT021 and BT56.

BTW... personally, I would not buy any tires on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back