Lets talk inexpensive red dots

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO I have a new PTR91 A3R on the way and was wondering what to throw on the rail.

As of right now I am looking at the Vortex Sparc II. I can always throw on a 3x magnifier behind it later, but since all the local ranges are 200 yards or less, I think it should work okay. I have the large 4MOA Strikefire II on my latest pencil barrel AR build and the quality seems good for the price.

Any other suggestions for sub 300 dollar sights?

This is on my to do list
Several friends have this and we did a multiple purchase. Sorry I can't remember the price

Last edited:
I have a Strikefire, as well, and it's worth the $170 or whatever I paid for it at the time. The Strikefire magnifier is a waste of money, though.

I have some Russian military red dot optics that are excellent. A little more expensive than the Strikefire, but they are 'military durable' with long battery life and smaller dot size than the Strikefire. Check out the PK01-V and PK-A.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
I have a Strikefire, as well, and it's worth the $170 or whatever I paid for it at the time. The Strikefire magnifier is a waste of money, though.

I have some Russian military red dot optics that are excellent. A little more expensive than the Strikefire, but they are 'military durable' with long battery life and smaller dot size than the Strikefire. Check out the PK01-V and PK-A.

The dot on the strikefire is a bit too large for a magnifier. But the Sparc II has one that is 2MOA vs 4MOA. SO that is why I am thinking it would work on a longer reaching battle rifle.

I don't have one but the sig sauer romeo5 looks like a good budget red dot. it can be had for $150 or lower.

I have the vortex strike fire and Bushnell trs25. I am happy with both for the price. I have heard good things about the Burris but don't own one.

I've got a Bushnell First Strike (refurb) on a 30-06 bolt gun
laugh.gif

Whatever you do, consider the ''Primary Arms'' Advanced Micro Red Dot. 50K hour battery life,, tough as nails.... Mine is holding up as well as my usual Aimpoint Pros, [ all on ARs ] and they are one of the top most recommended on the AR forums. And-- PA is one of the most respected vendors period......

Originally Posted By: widetrax
Whatever you do, consider the ''Primary Arms'' Advanced Micro Red Dot. 50K hour battery life,, tough as nails.... Mine is holding up as well as my usual Aimpoint Pros, [ all on ARs ] and they are one of the top most recommended on the AR forums. And-- PA is one of the most respected vendors period......

I clicked this link planning to suggest that as well. I have one on my 9mm AR-like rifle. Been well over a year and the battery is still working and has not lost zero (not that I shoot too much, probably around 500 rounds).

Great value.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I don't cheap out on glass.

Save up, buy the good stuff, and be done it; buy once, cry once.

Scopes = Luepold. Red dots = Aimpoint. Those are my go-to brands. YMMV.

Well...maybe. EOTech's are not exactly cheap and there has been plenty of issues with them. Vortex seems to get plenty of love and their customer service and warranty seems to be downright excellent. Old Jerry Miculek is even using them now.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I don't cheap out on glass.

Save up, buy the good stuff, and be done it; buy once, cry once.

Scopes = Luepold. Red dots = Aimpoint. Those are my go-to brands. YMMV.

Well...maybe. EOTech's are not exactly cheap and there has been plenty of issues with them. Vortex seems to get plenty of love and their customer service and warranty seems to be downright excellent. Old Jerry Miculek is even using them now.

I've never considered EOTech to have a quality product, but they are in fact expensive. No doubt about that.

As far as Vortex, my Strikefire would lose zero from time to time with no real explanation as to why. Even when just sitting in the safe. Zero it, put it in the safe, pull it out, lost the zero. Jerry is the man. But, let's be real, he's a pro. He gets paid to use products.

I'd shoot anything so long as someone else is buying.

Last edited:
I would most definitely send it back then, since they have a lifetime warranty on their products.

Jerry does likely get paid for it, but he also just used a Vortex to set a new world record. I have been eyeing the Meprolight Tru Dot RDS as well. Only about 40 bucks over my 300 dollar budget.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I have been eyeing the Meprolight Tru Dot RDS as well. Only about 40 bucks over my 300 dollar budget.

No, no, and no. So many problems, and the absolute worst (none) customer service you have ever seen. A $65 TRS25 is a step up from the Mepro, and I'm being serious.

Burris fast Fire has always been a reliable unit (and brand).

I have a TechForce TF90 that has been bullet proof. It's an AirGun Red Dot so rated for reverse recoil (spingers) and it's been dropped, kicks, hit the rocks, etc. It's kinda big and bulky, but tough enough for a civilian non-tactical use.

I think you need to look at options and read the reviews of folks who have mounted these things and run them in situations like you envision ...

The one thing I'd look for though, is click adjustable windage and elevation adjustments. The Optima 2000 and the Fast Fire are both smooth adjustments and it's a little harder to tweak them into POI and then lock them down.

I own a Vortex sparc and strikefire, both excellent red dots for the money. Have owned Eotechs in the past, now only have the Vortexs and 3 Aimpoints. IMO they are both better than Eotechs.

Aimpoints are outstanding. I own a couple. Primary Arms and Holosun are good also. I also own a couple. Depends what one wants to spend. If you have the $$$ Aimpoints what you want. If not so much $ Primary Arms and Holosun are a good choice.

I've got expensive glass, and I've got cheap glass. I have an Aimpoint Pro, Acog, Trijicon MRO, Primary Arms cheapo, and two Vortex Sparcs. The MRO and Acog are my favorites, but the little Sparc has been perfect. Besides, Vortex has a lifetime warranty that is good even if you smash it yourself. No questions asked.

I've been rough on my Sparcs, and never had a problem. The Sparc 2 would be even better. I had a Strikefire, and it was great, too. I sold it with a rifle.

I had an Eotech EXPS2 with a Primary Arms magnifier, and I snuffed a few hogs out with it. If going with a magnifier, the Sparc 2 would probably be just fine.

My next will either be another MRO (Love the MRO!) or a Vortex UH1, which is a holographic sight similar to an Eotech, only better in that it won't have the temperature shift. Of course, I never noticed that on my Eotech, anyway, but it looks like it will be a nice unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back