Let's Talk Gun Safes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my Dakota Interloc XP arrived last Monday. Brought by ABF freight in 4 boxes. The truck driver was nice enough to help me bring the boxes inside my apartment.

I tackled the task on Thursday, since I was off work. Nothing really difficult about it; the safe came with an instructional DVD (the video is also posted on YouTube). They tell you to assemble it upright, which initially seems like a good idea, as the safe weighs 527 lbs. assembled (the heaviest individual piece is the front, which has the door on it, which is 190 lbs.). But, it's hard to get all of the 6 panels lined up just right, especially if you're OCD about stuff like that, as most of us BITOGers are.

So, I ended up laying it flat to get everything lined up. Surprisingly, I was able to do everything alone without any help. Amazingly. even at 527 lbs, it scoots easily along the carpet. Just FYI, it was made in China. The build quality and fit & finish is not what I'd rate "excellent", but it is "good". I'd give it 3/5 stars. Panels are 12GA steel (1/8") except for the door, which is 3/16". Came with S&G mechanical lock.

I paid $1100 with free shipping. Honestly a safe like this that isn't modular would probably be around $600-700. With this safe, you're paying for the ability to break it down and disassemble. That will be handy when I move. It will also be nice if I ever need to put the safe upstairs.

I'm pretty happy with it. At 60"x30"x26", it will provide plenty of room to expand my collection for the next several years!

AB864349_90_E3_4_BA3_81_D7_902_D56_F683_C1.jpg

3_A76_D70_B_BF47_4048_BA27_7_A4832245_CD3.jpg

E16_D9_E5_F_2_A9_D_4300_A7_D2_27_C02131_BB10.jpg

4_D372_A7_D_923_D_4067_8_B8_B_EA46_F2_E71_F4_D.jpg

I don't worry......I have it anchored to the floor and wall and an alarm......our Police, although very rural and spread out, have responded in minutes the three times the system alarmed; one bad battery, one Stinkbug playing on a motion sensor, and back door not latched and blew open.

I think they won't have enough time to break the bars out of the window, attach a chain around the safe, and hope their truck/chain doesn't break dragging this 1400# safe through the wall/window......all t he while the alarm is blaring, armed neighbors are looking out, and the police are heading there.

Mine is a Liberty Timber Ridge 60". I retro'd the interior with Gun Storage Solutions and some mods and it holds 135 long/hand guns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back