Let’s talk gin

I don’t always drink gin in my elder years, but when I did in my late 20s, it was Hendrick’s. I’ve also enjoyed Plymouth as well.

for me, GOOD tonic water is key. Fever-Tree, Q or Whole Wallet’s house brand. Most tonics are made with HFCS, for a cloying sweet taste. These are made with cane sugar.

I like to partake in what I call my anti-malarial medicine. Bombay Sapphire or Gordon's Gin, Tonic Water with quinine (an essential ingredient) and fresh squeezed lime juice with a lime quarter tossed into the glass. On large ice cubes made with filtered water and in a tall glass of course.
After a couple I imagine that I am sitting on my veranda with a .470 Nitro Express double rifle and waiting for that man eating tiger that has been ravaging my plantation.

When in London.....
81CC5A4E-7611-4EBA-A7FB-A6F71417EBEF.jpeg

After a couple I imagine that I am sitting on my veranda with a .470 Nitro Express double rifle and waiting for that man eating tiger that has been ravaging my plantation.
You just put the image of Van Pelt from Jumanji or Higgins from the original Magnum, P.I. in my head now.

Jonathan-Higgins-Magnum-PI-John-Hillerman.jpg

Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, Beef Eater, New Amsterdam. That is my pecking order. Hendricks is rarely purchased due to me being a cheapskate but its really good. I always mix, tonic or some sort of sugar free crystal light type flavor. Bombay Sapphire is really the best bang for the buck while still being high quality, at least in my opinion.

Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, Beef Eater, New Amsterdam. That is my pecking order. Hendricks is rarely purchased due to me being a cheapskate but its really good. I always mix, tonic or some sort of sugar free crystal light type flavor. Bombay Sapphire is really the best bang for the buck while still being high quality, at least in my opinion.

This...agree 100% with Bombay being the best bang for the buck - YUM!

I could have written DwightFrye's post. I get either Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire (whatever's on sale) or Beefeater if I'm trying to save a couple bucks, and keep some Gordon's on hand for a cheap but still good drink.

I did a blind taste test with that spendy Fever Tree tonic vs. Canada Dry with multiple gins and didn't think the Fever Tree was any better. Canada Dry wins!

Love the comment about going with Gibley's instead of Gordon's due to price. 1.75l of Gordon's is only $17!

I don’t always drink gin in my elder years, but when I did in my late 20s, it was Hendrick’s. I’ve also enjoyed Plymouth as well.

for me, GOOD tonic water is key. Fever-Tree, Q or Whole Wallet’s house brand. Most tonics are made with HFCS, for a cloying sweet taste. These are made with cane sugar.

I like the Fever Tree elderberry or Indian tonic but they're all good. The Q was a bit too bland for me.

I did a blind taste test with that spendy Fever Tree tonic vs. Canada Dry with multiple gins and didn't think the Fever Tree was any better. Canada Dry
I think the nuances are more subtle and dependent on the gin. Also, since HFCS is prevalent in “soft” drinks, baked goods and condiments*cough*Heinz*cough*Kraft*cough* in the US and Canada, our taste buds are more attuned to the sweetness of it too - HFCS is sweeter than pure sucrose on a pound for pound basis.

with that said, I occasionally have Beefeater or Tanqueray with Seagram’s or Schweppe’s tonic on the plane. Bombay and whatever the soda gun at the bar has for tonic is my default for a G&T if I don’t feel like beer.

I think the nuances are more subtle and dependent on the gin. Also, since HFCS is prevalent in “soft” drinks, baked goods and condiments*cough*Heinz*cough*Kraft*cough* in the US and Canada, our taste buds are more attuned to the sweetness of it too - HFCS is sweeter than pure sucrose on a pound for pound basis.

with that said, I occasionally have Beefeater or Tanqueray with Seagram’s or Schweppe’s tonic on the plane. Bombay and whatever the soda gun at the bar has for tonic is my default for a G&T if I don’t feel like beer.
Yeah I don't think I have a very sensitive sense of taste. I lined up several combos and could hardly tell a difference, despite the extra sugar in the Canada Dry. I can certainly tell the difference between rotgut (Aristocrat), budget (Gordon's), and good (Beefeater/Tanqueray/Bombay) but within those categories they all seem close enough and the real high dollar stuff (Botanist) didn't do anything for me.

My wife LOVES the Hendricks Midsummer pink label, with Hendricks Orbium right behind. The Botanist is a terrific bottle too. Having said that, I'm NOT a gin fan. Gimme a nice single malt and I'm good to go. I DO however like tonic, just straight tonic, either chilled in the fridge or rocks.

Back