Let's talk beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todays ale: Trappist Achel Blond 8% ABV

This comes from the newest Trappist ale brewery
It pours a straw golden color with an incredible creamy head, it has a definite hop aroma, citrus orange, the head takes awhile to disipate. Some yeast floats in the glass if you pour the entire bottle at once. Try this special ale with seafood or any spicy food combonation.

Who has tried this? Won a gong at the Australian International Beer Awards the 2nd largest beer awards of their type in the world. 974 beers from 31 countries.

Lancer Pacific Trophy for Champion Ale - BridgePort India Pale Ale, BridgePort Brewing Company, Oregon, USA

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Who has tried this? Won a gong at the Australian International Beer Awards the 2nd largest beer awards of their type in the world. 974 beers from 31 countries.

Lancer Pacific Trophy for Champion Ale - BridgePort India Pale Ale, BridgePort Brewing Company, Oregon, USA

I did about a year and a half ago at the Bridgeport Pub in Portland. I don't remember it in particular, but remember Bridgeport brews in general were quite good.

Portland is about as good as it gets for a lot of good brewpubs in one city.
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Honestly Bridgeport IPA is overhopped for even a hoppy style. But it's a pretty clean comercial beer.

I agree with xs650, Seattle is an OK city for brewpubs but Portland is awesome. Widmer is my favorite of the big boys.

Sam Adams : UTOPIAS
Brewery : Sam Adams
Worlds Strongest beer you can buy.
25% ABV

This is no ordinary beer, it is more like a vintage port wine in taste. It should be served in a snifter glass.. It has a deep amber color and pours without a head, no carbonation. It was brewed with several strains of yeast to achive such a high ABV. It was matured in single use cask from the Buffalo Trace Distillary in oak barrels. It has a slightly smoky,vanilia flavor.

Chimay local eatery (Debacle) near work has Chimay Tripel on tap and 70 other beers. This is an old list.

Coopers Light 2.9% (SA) 3.5 4.3 5.5
Coopers Pale Ale 4.5% (SA) 3.9 4.9 5.9
Coopers Sparkling Ale 5.8% (SA) 4.5 5.5 6.5
Coopers Dark Ale 4.5% (SA) 4.5 5.5 6.5
Coopers Stout 4.9% (SA) 4.5 5.5 6.5
Asahi 5.0% (Japan) 5.4 6.4 7.4
Mercury Dry Apple Cider 5.2% (Tas) 4.5 5.5 6.5
Old Speckled Hen 5.2% (England) 5.5 6.5 7.5
Chimay Tripel 8.0% (Belgium) 8.5 (330ml)
Erdinger 4.8% (Germany) 5.2 (300ml) 7.5 (500ml)

Warsteiner 4.8% (Germany) 5 Litre Keg served at your table 50.0

Imported
Samuel Adams 4.8% (USA) 6.8
Efes Pilsener 5% (Turkey) 6.8
Tui east India Pale 4.0% (NZ) 5.9
San Miguel 4.8% (Phillipines) 6.8
Asahi Super Dry 5.0% (Japan) 6.8
Singha 5.9% (Thailand) 6.8
Tiger 5.0% (Singapore) 6.8
Kingfisher 5.0% (India) 6.8
Kingfisher Strong 7.2% (India) 7.5
Pilsener Urquell 4.4% (Czech) 6.8
Tuborg Green Pilsener 4.6% Denmark) 6.8
Carlsberg Green Label 5.0% (Denmark) 6.8
Peroni Nastro Azzuro 5.2% (Italy) 6.8
Peroni Gran Riserva 6.6% (Italy) 7.9
Becks 5.0% (Germany) 6.8
Corona Extra 4.6% (Mexico) 6.8
Stella Artois 5.2% (Belgium) 6.8
Kilkenny 4.3% 440ml (Ireland) 7.8
Beamish Irish Stout 4.2% 500ml (Ireland) 8.0
Guiness Stout 4.2% 440ml (Ireland) 8.0
Boddingtons Pub Ale 4.7% 440ml (England) 8.0
Caffrey’s Premium Ale 4.2% 440ml (England) 8.0
Hoegaarden 5.0% (Belgium) 7.0
Hoegaarden “Forbidden Fruit” 8.8% (Belgium) 8.0
Hoegaarden Grand Cru 8.7% (Belgium) 8.0
Duvel 8.5% (Belgium) 8.0
Leffe Brune 6.5% (Belgium) 7.0
Leffe Blonde 6.6% (Belgium) 7.0
Leffe Radieuse 8.2% (Belgium) 8.0
Leffe Vieille Cuvee 8.1% (Belgium) 8.0
Leffe Tripel 8.4% (Belgium) 8.0
Delirium Tremens 9.0% (Belgium) 8.9
Grolsch 5.2% (Holland) 7.9
Tripel Karmeliet 8.0% (Belgium) 8.0
Belle-Vue Kriek (Cherry) 5.3% (Belgium) 8.9
Belle-Vue Framboise (Raspberry) 5.8% (Belgium) 8.9
Timmermans Peche (Peach) 5.0% (Belgium) 8.9
Timmermans Gueuze 5.0% (Belgium) 8.9
Chimay Bleu 9.0% (Belgium) 8.9
Chimay Bruin 7.0% (Belgium) 8.9
Chimay Blanche 8.0% 750ml (Belgium) 19.0
Gulden Draak 10.5% (Belgium) 8.9
Rochefort Trapiste 11.3% (Belgium) 14.5

Australian

Hahn Premium Light 2.7% (NSW) 4.5
Cascade Premium Light 2.8% (Tas) 4.5
Carlton Draught 4.7% (Vic) 5.9
Tooheys Extra Dry 5.0% (NSW) 5.9
Cascade Premium Lager 5.2% (Tas) 5.9
Boags Premium 5.0% (Tas) 5.9
Carlton Crown Lager 4.9% (Vic) 5.9
Little Creatures Pale Ale 5.2% (WA) 5.9
Beez Neez Honey Wheat Beer 4.9% (WA) 5.9
James Squire Porter 5% (NSW) 5.9
James Squire India Pale Ale 4.9% (NSW) 5.9
Blue Tongue Premium Lager 4.9% (NSW) 5.9
Blue Tongue Ginger Beer 4.9% (NSW) 5.9
Coopers Heritage Premium Ale 4.9% (SA) 5.9
Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale 7.5% (SA) 6.5
Coopers Special Old Stout 6.8% (SA) 6.5
Redback 4.7% (WA) 5.9

Christophe Zierholzs beer is my favourite on tap at Debacle brewed in Canberra suburb Fyshwick.

http://the-riotact.com/?p=2949

Now that is what I call a real beer list. Great selection not many great selections like that close to here in a pub. We do have (Max's on Broadway) in Baltimore that has maybe 100 or more beers from around the world on tap and a large bottle selection.

Not really a pub as such just a local eatery/cafe. Several places like this around Canberra with several micro breweries as well. We do very well for a city/town of 300,000+ people. I'm getting a Chimay Belgian Red Beer (7%) from my corner shop tonight to try. They also have Delirium Tremens (9%) once voted best beer in the world but a bit to much when I have to work the next day...s

Sprintman, I would try the Chimay Bleu with any meal and you may be able to get it in a small bottle 11.2 ounces. This beer is a great example of the Trappist style of ales.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Nobody has mentioned Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin, etc...

Ah, mori, you have a friend for life. Sapporo......from the Land of the Rising Sun. From the Land of "Zero Defect." From the Land of Perfection. Sapporo.

Rich, smooth, creamy. Yet, light and refreshing.

I used to drink Heineken and Corona. No more. Those 2 are about as attractive as ditchwater to me. Only 1 drink for this man now, and that is Sapporo.

quote:

Ah, mori, you have a friend for life. Sapporo......from the Land of the Rising Sun. From the Land of "Zero Defect." From the Land of Perfection. Sapporo.

Rich, smooth, creamy. Yet, light and refreshing.

I used to drink Heineken and Corona. No more. Those 2 are about as attractive as ditchwater to me. Only 1 drink for this man now, and that is Sapporo.

If you like Japanese beer, you may also want to try sake. Sake is technically a beer, because it is made from fermented grain (rice), but it is not carbonated and tastes more like wine. It is consumed fresh and can be drunk cold or hot. It tends to go down rather smoothly and it may unexpectedly knock your socks off.

The Hakusan sake brewery in Napa is very nice and situated among a bunch of Japanese gardens. Luckily I get visitors every year, and for my selfish benfit a Napa vinery and Hakusan brewery tour is always on my list of planned activities.
grin.gif

PS: All the drug and alcohol recovery institutions are situated in Napa and Sonoma wine country. Go figure.
grin.gif

WooHoo!!
I went to octoberfest at the local german eatery last night. drank 1/2 liters of spaten optimator (one of my favs) haufbrau octoberfest, and spaten octoberfest. all were on tap and they made my beer belly happy.

Trappist Achel 8 Bruin - a Belgian Strong Ale 8%

Pours dark, little red in the darkness (like a sunset red), some bubbles that hang some, heavy lacing, sweet frangrance - marshmellow and candied fruit, taste is sweet and tangness on the palate with a bitter end, lots of carbonation and lite on the tongue, nice mouthfeel.

Jolly Pumpkin Maracaibo Especial - A Abbey Dubbel 7.5%

Dark elixir with bubbles overflowing, sweet and tangness all in one, brewed with cocoa and orange peel, mouthfeel is light on the palate, very bubbly, the 750ml bottle spewed over when first opened, had to pour quickly into a glass as to not waste the this precious drink.
cheers.gif

Went to a bottle shop on the way home from a few hours at work this Sunday on what is a long weekend. Picked some different beers I havn't tried before. Starting with Wells Banana Bread Beer 5.2% alc in a full English Pint (568ml) bottle. A hint of Banana's (Fair Trade Banana's in fact) on the back palate and surprisily very good, even the wife likes it. Unopened the others are Red Line from Jamaica, Wells Bombardier Premium Bitter U.K (5.2%), Shepherd Neame (U.K's oldest brewer bottle says) Premium Spitfire Kentish Ale (4.5%), and Old Speckled Hen. Anybody tried these?

When in UK I had Shepherd Neame prouducts. Quite good if my memory serves me. Can't testify as to the bottle surviving the boat ride.

Banana and beer is not a good combo - because when I think of those amyl esters in beer - my champ homebrew mind screams "defect"! Now give me a berry beer and I'm in heaven (long way of saying to each his own).
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back