Let’s talk about oil for a Volkswagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon everyone. I’ve owned my 2015 Jetta SE (1.8T) for about a year and a half. Initially, I used Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 from Walmart since it was easy to get. I realize, however, that it doesn’t seem to meet all VW specs for newer vehicles (unless I’m missing something. More recently I’ve been using Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 at 5K OCI’s. As quickly as I put miles on the car, the Motul is getting pricy. I have no problem continuing with this oil if that’s what’s best for it, as I know German cars can be picky. Ive narrowed my options to the Motul 8100, Liqui Moly High Tech, Casterol German (If I can even find it) or Mobil 1 0w40. For a newer VW, what would you all suggest? I’m open to other oil options as well! All oil changes will be run for 5K with a VW OEM filter. Thanks!

Walmart's 5-quart jug of Castrol Edge 0w40, or Pennzoil 0w40 there, or M1 0w40 there, all meet VW 502 which is what you need/want.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Walmart's 5-quart jug of Castrol Edge 0w40, or Pennzoil 0w40 there, or M1 0w40 there, all meet VW 502 which is what you need/want.

+1

There is really no reason to look any further than this.

Why not just stop by the VW dealer and get the Castrol product that is specified? Prices are reasonable and you know it meets all the specs.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Afternoon everyone. I’ve owned my 2015 Jetta SE (1.8T) for about a year and a half. Initially, I used Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 from Walmart since it was easy to get. I realize, however, that it doesn’t seem to meet all VW specs for newer vehicles (unless I’m missing something. More recently I’ve been using Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 at 5K OCI’s. As quickly as I put miles on the car, the Motul is getting pricy. I have no problem continuing with this oil if that’s what’s best for it, as I know German cars can be picky. Ive narrowed my options to the Motul 8100, Liqui Moly High Tech, Casterol German (If I can even find it) or Mobil 1 0w40. For a newer VW, what would you all suggest? I’m open to other oil options as well! All oil changes will be run for 5K with a VW OEM filter. Thanks!

What VW specification does your vehicle require that the M1 0W-40 does not have?

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Why not just stop by the VW dealer and get the Castrol product that is specified? Prices are reasonable and you know it meets all the specs.
Probably because its more expensive using this oil than anything else.

I could be wrong, but is the poster wanting to see VW 502,503 and 504 listed on the bottle? It's not going to happen.
You can find Castrol 0W40 in 5 quart jugs at a Walmart near you for cheap. Castrol 0W40 is a rare/real PAO synthetic if you look at the MSDS
and is produced in Europe. Not every Walmart has it, but if there are other Walmarts near you, I but one of them stocks it.

https://www.walmart.com/store/1764/des-moines-ia/search?dept=91083&dept_name=Auto+%26+Tires&query=0w40

https://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/729231D2ABF643B28025817E00527278/$File/11264210.pdf

Use whatevers on sale at walmart for that kind of interval. If it was a 10k interval, Id definitely recommend a top quality oil, but any of those you listed would work fine. Id imagine even the Super tech synthetic would be fine for 5k, but not worth the small savings.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Use whatevers on sale at walmart for that kind of interval. If it was a 10k interval, Id definitely recommend a top quality oil, but any of those you listed would work fine. Id imagine even the Super tech synthetic would be fine for 5k, but not worth the small savings.
The issue is more than "top quality oil" as you put it. Its physics, viscometrics and hydrodynamic surfing in bearing design.
That engine requires hths>=3.5, so SuperTech synthetic wouldn't uphold the VW engine warranty since SuperTech full syn 5w30 is too thin for the right spec.
Frankly, you could likely get away with using SuperTech 5w30 (HTHS=3.0) in the cold winter for 5k miles, but VW is saying it really needs HTHS>=3.5 in a VW 502 oil. Believe VW engineers here and use a proper VW 502 oil.

Originally Posted By: Flying_A
The X-cess is also the only 100% synthetic oil

With a pour point of only -36C, I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The X-cess is also the only 100% synthetic oil

With a pour point of only -36C, I seriously doubt it.

You do realize that the pour point is an arbitrary number that has almost nothing to do with the base oils used right?

Anyone can pour a ton of viscosity improver and get a great pour point. The pour point doesn't reflect the base oil quality alone since it is skewed by the ad pack chosen etc. The pour point used is of the finished product- not the base oil alone. So in fact it can very be a 100% oil and not have the pout point characteristics of a lesser quality base oil product that relies more heavily on additives to get impressive figures on a piece of paper.

Last edited:
Quote:
Anyone can pour a ton of viscosity improver and get a great pour point.

But with a quality base oil, you don't have to.

But anyone with poorer base oil does. That's my point. It is of the FINISHED product- for example the Motul could have a higher VI before additives are added where another oil could have a lower VI but you add some additives and all of a sudden it appears to be a higher performing product when in actuality it isn't (this is how synthetics are graded, their VI BEFORE additives are added). This can go for any competitor vs competitor.

Also you have to consider how using additives upsets the balance of the formulation- using additives to get a fancy pour point will eventually just disappear thus effecting the oil greatly over the oil drain interval both on the operating vis and cold.

I'll take consistent viscosity performance over a longer period of time versus an oil with a pour point that appears to be good and 100% synthetic oil will do just that- better performance across the entire DI.

Last edited:
Quote:

But anyone with poorer base oil does. That's my point. It is of the FINISHED product- for example the Motul could have a higher VI before additives are added where another oil could have a lower VI but you add some additives and all of a sudden it appears to be a higher performing product when in actuality it isn't (this is how synthetics are graded, their VI BEFORE additives are added). This can go for any competitor vs competitor.

Also you have to consider how using additives upsets the balance of the formulation- using additives to get a fancy pour point will eventually just disappear thus effecting the oil greatly over the oil drain interval both on the operating vis and cold.

I'll take consistent viscosity performance over a longer period of time versus an oil with a pour point that appears to be good and 100% synthetic oil will do just that- better performance across the entire DI.

I thought the use of large percentages of PAO is what gave some synthetics good pour points. The use of large amounts of esters (like the Motul) did not provide the same. The base oil has a large bearing on VI and pour point.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Quote:

I thought the use of large percentages of PAO is what gave some synthetics good pour points. The use of large amounts of esters (like the Motul) did not provide the same. The base oil has a large bearing on VI and pour point.

Simply not true when it comes to pour point figures on a TDS- look at PYB 5W30 pour point and Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 w/ PP tech. Nearly identical pour points. That's why it is just a number that doesn't have any real world value when considering a lubricant.

Synthetics will flow better in extreme cold vs a conventional oil for sure but the conventional may just underperform versus the former.

Last edited:
Quote:

I'm guessing a Group III, just like comparing Castrol 5w-30 A3/B4 to their 0w-40 or 0w-30 A3/B4 options.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back