Let's play the "what oil" game... yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys (and gals), I've been thinking towards the future regarding what oil to use in my Volt come oil change time. I'm currently at 82% according to the OLM, although I've already put 5k+ miles on the car. My pure EV use is sitting right about 78% right now, so the gas engine doesn't get used very much. This, however, will change come winter time.

I'm considering changing the oil November-ish, due to A: Not knowing what oil is in it (assume generic quick-lube 5w-30 and B: Wanting a better quality filter than the jobber that's on there now. The car is long out of warranty, and I'm not against playing with oil weights within reason.

For filters, I've pretty much decided it will be either an OE PF65 filter that's spec'd for the ELR and the Volt, or use an XG3387A. I like the idea of the synthetic media, being as the filter stays on for as long as it does. Any reason to choose one over the other?

Now... the oil. Where do I turn here? Stick with 5w-30? 0w-30? 0w-20? There's no turbo to worry about, no DI, and relatively stable operating conditions minus the start/stop nature of the hybrid system. I can get almost anything around here:

Mobil 1 AFE
Pennzoil Platinum
Motul xxx

The list goes on and on. The engine requires a Dexos1 spec, however I'm pretty positive that's less of an issue now due to being out of warranty. I know there's lots of good choices out there, so let's hear everyone's opinion.

I can't possibly understand why Motul would be on your list?

Put in the cheapest Dexos 1 Synthetic you can find in the correct grade and have an EV great time

No DI, no turbo. GM specs Dexos 1.2 because they want the licensing money and want to stock one oil at their dealerships. I'd think any Dexos 5-30 would be more than sufficient. Doubt if engine failure will be what eventually takes this car down.

Since the generator doesn't come on as often as a regular ICE would, if it were mine I'd go with a 0w20 (and I do believe the new Volts come factory filled with 0w20 now). You can go wrong with M1 0w20 AFE or Pennzoil Platinum, either one will work well.

I'd definitely avoid using an AC Delco filter though, go with the Fram Ultra for sure, especially if you're going to be following the oil life monitor moving forward (and I believe it allows up to 2 year OCIs)

Originally Posted By: Patman
Since the generator doesn't come on as often as a regular ICE would, if it were mine I'd go with a 0w20 (and I do believe the new Volts come factory filled with 0w20 now). You can't go wrong with M1 0w20 AFE or Pennzoil Platinum, either one will work well.

For the 2013 models, GM spec'ed 0w30 or 5w30 for this engine. I'd go with M1 AFE 0w30 since the winters are cold, and when they engine starts, you want it to get to the bearings as soon as possible. It could probably run on 0w20 as you've indicated to use, yet the 0w30 would have the hot film thickness GM recommends.

I'd definitely avoid using an AC Delco filter though, go with the Fram Ultra for sure, especially if you're going to be following the oil life monitor moving forward (and I believe it allows up to 2 year OCIs)
We've got to tell him why though. Here's why: The PF65 is actually made by Mahle for GM, and I think it even has a silicone ADBV, but I'm not sure about that. The PF65 is 'weird' in that it has no bypass valve at all, and I checked the Fram Ultra XG3387A, and it is also missing the bypass valve. ..... Therefore, to be sure you've got a strong, efficient, wire-backed media and a silicone ADBV valve, I would go with the Fram Ultra XG3387A here.

My reasoning for the 0w20 is that if the generator is only in use for short bursts, it never really gets hot enough to get the oil super hot so that it needs a thicker 30 weight.

As far as not having a bypass valve in either of those filter choices, that's probably because this engine has the bypass built into the block.

Sounds like most are thinking the same way I am... dropping down to a 0w-30 due to the engine mostly seeing cold weather when it runs.

Sounds like the Fram will be the way to go, as well.

My reasoning for the 0w20 is that if the generator is only in use for short bursts, it never really gets hot enough to get the oil super hot so that it needs a thicker 30 weight.
The engine can run for extended periods of time in hot weather, running up mountains, etc. Thats probably why GM says it needs xw30 oil. My gut feeling is that xw20 would also work OK, but I'm going with GM engineers' specs on this application and saying 0w30 is best here.

As far as not having a bypass valve in either of those filter choices, that's probably because this engine has the bypass built into the block.
True, and its important the Fram Ultra mirrors the no-bypass-valve in the filter like the PF65 does. I think some other oil filters on RockAuto for this Volt actually had bypass valves, which is not what the engine was really designed for.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
A Dexos 5W30 with OEM filter goes in my Volt.

Fram Ultra is actually better than the OEM filter here. And GM says you can use a dexos1 0w30 instead of a 5w30. So why not upgrade when you can?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Fram Ultra is actually better than the OEM filter here. And GM says you can use a dexos1 0w30 instead of a 5w30. So why not upgrade when you can?

0W30 is only recommended for "extreme cold" conditions as indicated below (excerpt from Owner's Manual). I live in Southern California where it never gets below +30F. Besides, most 0W30 oils are Euro formulation (A3/B4) and more expensive than standard 5W30 oils.

Viscosity Grade

Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade
engine oil.

Cold Temperature Operation: In an
area of extreme cold, where the
temperature falls below −29 °C
(−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be
used. An oil of this viscosity grade
will provide easier cold starting for
the engine at extremely low
temperatures.

0W30 is only recommended for "extreme cold" conditions as indicated below (excerpt from Owner's Manual). I live in Southern California where it never gets below +30F. Besides, most 0W30 oils are Euro formulation (A3/B4) and more expensive than standard 5W30 oils.
The subject of this thread is in Minnesota. And winter is coming. Yep. ... Euro oils are off the table here since dexos1 is for GM engines. M1 AFE 0w30 is the only one I know of.

The subject of this thread is in Minnesota. And winter is coming. Yep. ... Euro oils are off the table here since dexos1 is for GM engines. M1 AFE 0w30 is the only one I know of.

Your recommendation for a 0W30 was to me as indicated below...

I think I'll just stick with a 5w... seems like that will do fine with my driving and the climate.

That pretty much leaves me with PP or PUP, those are the two I would consider anyways. Or... Idemitsu Zepro? It carries DEXOS certs. Might be worth a go? Although it's no where as affordable as PUP: I can get a 5 quart jug from WM for $14.97 after rebate vs. $35.88 for Zepro on Amazon.

I always like sticking with the OE filter especially if reasonably priced. You'll be satisfied walking the oil aisle at your local Wal-Mart, there you'll find all the 5w-30 your heart could desire with the Dexos rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back