Lets Idle!

Now I am a car guy with motorcycles, but I fire up and drive away!

That's what I do as well. I ride/drive easy until they are warmed up. There is no reason whatsoever to let a vehicle idle in place to warm up.

Dogs are worst in my neighbor hood, but I like dogs and let it slide. (unless they come into my yard to bite me) Different story then and they will be gone soon!

I don't understand neighbor's that need to have an outdoor dog in town. First thing they do, it put a kennel on the furthest out corner of their lot, close to a neighbor's house. Let them hear the barking. Senseless.

Just get a nice house dog and be done. I don't even care if they poop in my back yard. I suppose those feelings could change thought, with a bigger dog or numerous ones. I try to be a good neighbor.

I had a crappy old Camaro as my first car when I was 16 and the choke didn’t work. On cold mornings I’d have to hold the throttle down a bit to keep it running. Fortunately that was at like 7:30 in the morning and not super early but I’m sure it still pissed the neighbors off.

I had a crappy old Camaro as my first car when I was 16 and the choke didn’t work. On cold mornings I’d have to hold the throttle down a bit to keep it running. Fortunately that was at like 7:30 in the morning and not super early but I’m sure it still pissed the neighbors off.
Carb?

Yeah. A 78 Camaro with a junkyard 350. The prior owners had it as a drag car, but blew up the motor or had an engine fire. A gold hood on a maroon car, welded subframes, traction bars, 4 wheel disc conversion, a line lock and no radio. What the heck was my dad thinking letting me buy that? No wonder they could only meet for a test drive at night! This was the late 90s so it was a POS at that point.

Edit-and cut front springs so the front end was so low it would barely go over a tennis ball.

I had to get a car out of the garage. The '87 Camry parked behind it so I backed it out and parked it on the curb. I don't like to just cold start and kill them so I let it idle and locked it up, dicked around in the garage and got called in for dinner (I'll go out and drive it around town afterward).

Next morning leaving for work, I'm locking the front door and I hear a cooling fan cycling. The Camry was idling for about 10 hours that evening. Used about a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Dogs are worst in my neighbor hood, but I like dogs and let it slide. (unless they come into my yard to bite me) Different story then and they will be gone soon!

I don't understand neighbor's that need to have an outdoor dog in town. First thing they do, it put a kennel on the furthest out corner of their lot, close to a neighbor's house. Let them hear the barking. Senseless.

Just get a nice house dog and be done. I don't even care if they poop in my back yard. I suppose those feelings could change thought, with a bigger dog or numerous ones. I try to be a good neighbor.
My other neighbor has a German Shepard and either locks it in a dog transport kennel inside or has it on a cable attached to a tree outside. It howls a lot like it's very lonely. some people shouldn't own a dog or have kids.
I'm not going to call the cops on either one.

My Nighthawk has an aftermarket Vance & Hines exhaust (bought it that way, it is really the only thing I don't like about the bike) that is kind of loud, and being a carb'ed bike, needs to idle a little with choke on before leaving.
I had installed a blocking baffle to quiet it up some, but it really killed performance, so I removed it.
I leave at 6:30 am, but my neighbors on either side of me are already up and both leave about the same time as me.
I do try to keep idling down as much as I can (less than a minute on really cold days), and do not rev it above 3000 rpms in the neighborhood.

Back