Lets get some opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say you're running a car from the early 1990's calling for an API SG oil. The vehicle is used in what was then considered "Severe Service" conditions according to the OM. Servere Service calls for 3 month 0r 3000 mile OCI's.

Fast forward to 2009, same car, Severe Service now using API SM oil. Since the OM calls for 3 month 3000 mile OCI's in the early 1990's based on an SG category, what would the new OCI be for the 2009 SM oil used in that old car? We all know the SM oils are better, lets get some opinions. Lets keep the discussion to dino oils for now.

Is the old 3000 mile Severe Service OCI really 5000 miles today? We had this discussion over some beers yesterday, thought I'd try it here.

TIA,
AD

It's just me, but I would crank it to 4k OCIs.

With the SS, and the type of engine, it just depends..

The conditions haven't changed much by my readings of what manufacturers call severe. What may have changed (mostly not) is how many consider what constitutes severe.

We had one poster here that brain noddled himself into believing if he didn't manage only a narrow range of 45mph constant, and did events in excess of one hour...unloaded, that his Cummins was in severe duty
54.gif
21.gif

Some severe service isn't severe at all. It's just the mismatch between operational hours and mileage accumulated. Taxis ..etc. They could probably cross the nation twice with the fuel they consumed in doing their 3k of "severe duty" ..or a 6k OCI.

The last maintenance schedule I've seen before OLM use was 3750 severe/7500 normal. That's probably a good safe bet even today. Fuel dilution seems to still tear up oils, just like they did in the 90's.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
The last maintenance schedule I've seen before OLM use was 3750 severe/7500 normal. That's probably a good safe bet even today. Fuel dilution seems to still tear up oils, just like they did in the 90's.

I was thinking in the neighborhood of 4000 miles, for dino.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The conditions haven't changed much by my readings of what manufacturers call severe. What may have changed (mostly not) is how many consider what constitutes severe.

We had one poster here that brain noddled himself into believing if he didn't manage only a narrow range of 45mph constant, and did events in excess of one hour...unloaded, that his Cummins was in severe duty
54.gif
21.gif

Some severe service isn't severe at all. It's just the mismatch between operational hours and mileage accumulated. Taxis ..etc. They could probably cross the nation twice with the fuel they consumed in doing their 3k of "severe duty" ..or a 6k OCI.

Gary, I was taking "Severe Service", as textbook OM for the cars of the early 90's. Many people in metro areas like NY easily fall into that category, and the flip side, people like myself who relocated from NY still have severe service in their heads, but in reality I'm now normal!
banana2.gif

Thanks guys, enjoy the holiday!
AD

See when I think of 3k/3mon, I think of it as what has been preached over the years by oil change places and some oil companies. Not to just include severe service but all the time as a regular practice, no matter what. I used to do that, no longer.

My last oil change I sent in a 4k UOA using Valvoline Premium dino, and an AAP Total Grip. A respectable combination but certainly not a high end combination. Some, at least 50%, I could describe as severe service. Short commute, 2.5 mi. each way. The report came back excellent, saying I had NOT extended the OCI to the oil's optimum/intended limit, and 5k was recommended. So for me 5k it is. And, on my Honda the OLM isn't close to 20% at 5k, no matter what.

Point I'm trying to make is, in my opinion, for many the 3k/3mon has been drilled into their heads, when it's not needed. So for most, I think it's closer now to 5k/6mon than 3k/3mon. Some might want to split the difference for peace of mind. But, unless I start driving regularly (75% or more) in severe service, it's 5k for me on dino. I think BITOG and UOA has been a big influence in this opinion. OK, off my soap box.

I would do 5000 miles or 1 year with SM oils. The warranty is long gone so thats not a factor. Thats what I think.

I was thinking 6 months 4000 miles for severe service in an older car might be a good limit. I guess possibly 1 yr 5000 miles with a UOA to confirm if fuel dilution is an issue.

Keep those opinions coming!

AD

Folk on BITOG are not very opinionated so you probably will not get many replies.

I have a 1986 pickup in daily use. It just went over 301,000 miles. I use an SM oil in it but I use an SM with 1200 PPM ZDDP.

There are also SL oils still on the market. Both Mobil and Valvoline make full synthetic HM oils with high anti wear, high 100C, high HTHS, and in both 30 and 40 grade. Valvoline also makes a HM blend in 20, 30, and 40 grade. The Mobil oils have 1000 ZDDP. The Valvoline oils have 800 ZDDP but also 300 PPM Moly. The Valvoline oils are SM but the Mobil oils are SL.

it's still 3000. the oil might be 2009 but the car is not! not only is the car older but also has alot of miles with a "Severe" schedule

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
it's still 3000. the oil might be 2009 but the car is not! not only is the car older but also has alot of miles with a "Severe" schedule

This thought entered my mind and the conversation I had. We all talk about how much better oils are, but these older severe service engines had a hard life too. The discussion I had the other day about this followed a path similar to this thread.

AD

When did the SM oils come out? My 02 Cavalier still has the 3month/3000 for severe service. There is more to it than the oil companies and quick lubes. Many people are forced to do it through the warranty. Have the manufacturers extended the OCI for SM oil?

labman- SM was introduced in Nov 2004.

This is an interesting thread, since even with the advancements in engine oil since the early 90's (the engine in question for this discussion), we have so many different opinions. I would imagine a UOA would seal the deal, but I think we're looking for a general statement, that would apply to an OM here where a UOA is not suggested.

I'm thinking 6 months 4,000 miles would be my limit for dino oil. I have seen 3750 miles severe service and 7000 miles normal, both 6 month intervals, which could be the answer the OP is looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back