Let's embrace the gold GC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I think that we all panicked too soon (myself included) when we all first spotted the gold oil inside the latest batches of GC, but based on the VOA we've seen on it, compared to Quattro Pete's VOA on Castrol SLX Longtec, it appears this is what the new gold GC is! And this oil still is 12.2 cst at 100c, has a 3.5 HTHS, passes MB 229.3 and 229.5, ACEA A3, VW 502 00, 503 01 and 505 00. So why are we worried? This new oil looks to be very good too!

So once your local store runs out of the green, and only stocks the gold, don't fear it, embrace it! Love it!
grin.gif

Castrol could've very easily put in some weak watered down 0w30 that barely gets a 3.0 HTHS rating (like Mobil 1 0w30!) but they didn't. They decided to continue getting this oil from Germany. We knew sooner or later the green stuff would be gone since Formula SLX has been gone from the shelves of Europe and Australia for a while now. So now they are simply using the latest and best version of 0w30 that Castrol has to offer.

Three cheers for Castrol!

cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

Pat,

Your and my trains are running on the same schedule...witness my new topic. Can you incorporate mine into yours and then delete mine?

This software doesn't allow you to merge two threads into one, so we'll just have to leave them both going.
smile.gif

Umm... What if they just use the old bottle stickers stock? VOA data is a firm proof of your conclusions though.

me?....panic?....cool as a cucumber I am
tongue.gif

Like I said before, Castrol's methods are a lil' tricky, but I never thought they would misrepresent thier own product. The ELVES would never let it happen!!

(^^see, pscholte....I said it!!!^^)

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:
me?....panic?....cool as a cucumber I am
tongue.gif

Like I said before, Castrol's methods are a lil' tricky, but I never thought they would misrepresent thier own product. The ELVES would never let it happen!!

(^^see, pscholte....I said it!!!^^)

Keep that up and you will be my hero #2 after Patman...and being second to the Patster is not a bad place to be!
grin.gif

PS You ARE right...die kleinen Männer are the embodiment of integrity.

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
So, why didn't they list the MB 229.5 on the bottle?

Probably because they are currently using up the bottles which were for the previous version, and once they do they'll probably put the updated specs on the newer bottles when they come out.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
We knew sooner or later the green stuff would be gone since Formula SLX has been gone from the shelves of Europe and Australia for a while now.

Green SLX is still available on this side of the pond. The last lot I bought was bottled in February 05.

It seems that the green does its thing due to one particular component in the oil. The gold may be a very good oil but not necessarily any better than others that meet those specs. If SLX is still produced (don't let the facts get in the way here guys), my guess is that Castrol found that they could meet those specs more cost effectively with an oil that could still be called synthetic on this side of the pond. Paranoil, does Longtec meet the specs discussed here and how does it compare in price to SLX.

Not Paranoil, but I'll answer. LongTec meets these specs:
 -

In Poland, when LongTec replaced the old SLX, Castrol kept the price the same (already one of the most expensive oils on the market). That said, I wouldn't be surprised if LongTec was group III.

Oh yeah, and here are the safety data sheets:

SLX
SLX LongTec

I wonder what "Highly refined mineral oil" means in the LongTec one.
rolleyes.gif

Might just be a small % as an add pack carrier, but then, why didn't they write the same in the original SLX sheet?

I'm not concerned about LongTec's performance. I know it is still a very capable oil. I would just be unhappy paying PAO prices for Group III product.
nono.gif

[ April 05, 2005, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

Lets hope so, but I still would like to know why they dropped Ca levels in half and increased Mg, something the oil blenders have gotten away from. $$$.
rolleyes.gif

Moderators, can you kill one of these threads? We don't need two of the same subject. Patman's is more populated so maybe keep this one open?
dunno.gif
cheers.gif

Help me with one thing. Is carpy's report, that the GC '05 is primarily a group III oil, accurate? UOA's will be the ultimate answer as to whether this oil is good or not, but I prefer it not be a group III oil.

The problem with carpy's report is that we don't know what oil exactly he tested (didn't provide batch numbers from the bottle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back