Lets discuss Supertech Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's not the next synthetic out there.. but is it better to use cheap supertech synthetic or a quality dino oil??

I'm planning on putting it in my 04 Spec-V because I'm not gonna keep it forever I think, but I beat on it and it's a high stress engine, so I want something that will do a good job.

What are the viscosities on this oil??
Can someone post UOAs comparing it to other oils??

Discuss?...

It depends on how long you are going to leave it in there.
Shorter oil change intervals are great with dino, and synthetic allows longer intervals.
Roughly, 4-5,000 for dino, and 6 -8,000 for synthetic.
Many go longer with modern good synthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It depends on how long you are going to leave it in there.
Shorter oil change intervals are great with dino, and synthetic allows longer intervals.
Roughly, 4-5,000 for dino, and 6 -8,000 for synthetic.
Many go longer with modern good synthetic oil.

+1

Just depends on what they use for...

Cheap synthetic is better than a quality Dino IMO if used for the same mileage as you have superior cold engine lubrication on start up (even if it's not winter)

If they're being used in the same interval, I'd use cheap synthetic. I prefer synthetic because what if you have a water pump failure or a thermostat that doesn't open? Better to have the margin of safety.

If you're looking for something long term a few UOAs would serve you well. It would also be nice to see Supertech Synth against YB wear numbers in the same engine.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Duh... Dino is way better! Because I cannot wait that long to change my oil...

Shhhh you're letting my secret out!
grin2.gif

The 5qt jug of PP,M1,QS,Vav. is all around 20-22 dollars. 21.00 dollars for top notch oil to me is a no brainer....Don't get me wrong either a dino, or cheap syn like Supertech will do the job in most cases. But if your undecided between dino, or cheap syn, why not spend 21 dollars and buy a 5 qt. jug of a quality syn, can't go wrong.... :2cents:

Last edited:
Look at it this way in comparison to conventional oil.
super- better than conventional
tech- higher technology than conventional

Supertech synthetic is a no brainer.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Cheap synthetic is better than a quality Dino IMO if used for the same mileage as you have superior cold engine lubrication on start up (even if it's not winter)

I feel the same way
27.gif
and use synthetic oil in 2 of my vehicles because they sit sometimes for several days before I use them. I feel synthetic oils cling better than dino oils, and give better start-up protection for the way my vehicles are used.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I feel synthetic oils cling better than dino oils, and give better start-up protection for the way my vehicles are used.
Most PAO is non-polar an clings worse than a grp-ii wide cut. Demar, You talking group V?

You have to try it in your engine and see how it goes. Got to prove it on the road. Then pick what works best for your app. I use "synth" for supposed reduced varnishing, as my TC tensioner is prone to sticking. Remember grp-v is the only high temp, high lubricity base - I dont think supertech or many other majors fit into the group-v category.

Want your engine to last a real long time?
Use a SM rated Dino oil, H.Q. filter & Reasonable OCI and it will!
(Good for 99% of vehicles)

So how much longer will the car last if you pour in synthetic and have better cold cranking properties?

Originally Posted By: deven

Want your engine to last a real long time?
Use a SM rated Dino oil, H.Q. filter & Reasonable OCI and it will!
(Good for 99% of vehicles)

So how much longer will the car last if you pour in synthetic and have better cold cranking properties?

7 years or 80,000 miles..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back