Let me ask a silly audio question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is so simple, it must be wrong, but I read that speakers with heavier/more powerful magnets generally are better/louder/whatever.

So, knowing that one change usually upsets all other parameters, I'll still ask the question. Maybe not silly as much as ignorant, as I am very ill informed about audio equip.

Okay, so here it is:

If I add extra magnets to existing speakers, like just let them adhere to the backs of the speakers, will it make the sound any better?????
21.gif
crazy2.gif
banana2.gif
43.gif

No, it would likely screw it up. The TS parameters are set by the manufacturer. You don't want to mess with just one parameter without changing others.

The subs I use are primarily for sound quality but will also handle nearly 1,000 watts peak and 600rms. The magnets are around 20lbs each. The next step up in the same line, same manufacturer uses magnets that weigh twice as much and the driver handles about double the power. However, SQ goes down and it takes more power to produce the same volume.

Box design is more important than the drivers. I have a new enclosure that cost a fortune but with the same drivers, volume is over doubled at the same power level and sound quality is much better.

Probably not.

First, most speakers these days are sheilded. Around the magnet is a steel shield so the speakers can be placed near a CRT television or florescent lights and not interfere with it (or get interference).

Second, the orentation of the magnetic field is a toroid (doughnut) that it would be hard to maintain if sticking extra magnets on the side.

The biggest thing you can do to any speaker to make it sound better is placement. Ear level, at least a foot from the wall behind it, close to an equalateral triangle from the listening position.

Headphones are generally illegal to wear when driving a car, ostensibly because you can't hear horns and sirens. Yet, many car stereos play so loudly that likely the driver isn't going to hear horns or sirens anyway, but then I suppose those volume levels are technically also illegal, no?

Won`t do anything whatsoever,except waste your time. The size of the magnet isn`t the only thing that makes a powerful loudspeaker.........magnet,voice coil size,voice coil material,etc. Lots of factors involved.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The size of the magnet isn`t the only thing that makes a powerful loudspeaker.........magnet,voice coil size,voice coil material,etc. Lots of factors involved.

Not to mention that a powerful speaker requires a powerful amp that can cleanly deliver the content.

Most of the systems I've heard sound like [censored] not because the speakers can't handle the power but because the amplifier struggles to deliver clean power to it. Eventually destroys the speakers in the process.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The size of the magnet isn`t the only thing that makes a powerful loudspeaker.........magnet,voice coil size,voice coil material,etc. Lots of factors involved.

Not to mention that a powerful speaker requires a powerful amp that can cleanly deliver the content.

Most of the systems I've heard sound like [censored] not because the speakers can't handle the power but because the amplifier struggles to deliver clean power to it. Eventually destroys the speakers in the process.

So true. I learned this the hard way. I upgraded my front components and subs in the TL with the components powered by the stock amp. It was a nice upgrade but going to an aftermarket amp made just as much difference as swapping speakers. I had plans on upgrading the rear speakers (I don't use them much, mostly when people are in the back seat) but you would not believe how good you can make stock speakers sound with a good amp. I'm also driving them at 3X the factory power and with them crossed over at 120hz, they're holding up great. Again, I can't stress how much clarity you can gain with stock speakers and a good amp.

It doesn't matter anymore. I just hooked up the 100 watt Radio Shack amp with direct input of the MP3--SWEET! The bass is unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back