Lesson learned... compare bottle side color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disgusting. I hope for the average oil change joe, that wouldnt even realize something was wrong with the oil, these bottles aren't being contaminated with anything worse than used motor oil.

Can you imagine some sick piece of $@); carefully opening these bottles without disturbing the tamper proof seal, pouring a little out, adding something like muratic acid, drano, bleach or lye to the bottle and returning it?...

Originally Posted By: stevejones
1 qt bottles in a sealed cardboard case here. No issues

Just takes glue/ hot glue to seal those boxes.

Buying from amazon is looking better every day!
mad.gif

OP should call the number on the mobil 1 bottle and complain about they should have tighter security. Mobil knows about this surely but needs a critical mass of complaints to take action.

I never thought about this happening but I'll be paying more attention from now on. I use less expensive conventional oil and I suppose fraud is less likely on those, but still something to pay attention to.
This gives a new reason to appreciate bottles that have a transparent window in them, so at least the color can be compared with others on the shelf.
I'm normally the type that gets irritated by the security seals on many products today. But if this becomes a common problem then I guess another irritating seal will be necessary here.

I think it would be in everyone's interest if "evil ideas and methods" weren't explicitly described here. Sooner or later the occasional angry lowlives may come along and get inspired. Remember everything posted here shows up on search engines.

Last edited:
The return process had mixed results. I tried to return it to the store closest to home and they wouldn't take it because I bought it at another store. I wasn't happy but I understood where they were coming from.

When I took it to the original store there were no issues with the return. In fact the woman who helped me said she will talk to the department manager as this is the second one she has gotten. Apparently (the rather smart) consumer checked the oil in the parking lot right after buying it.

Last edited:
Well, since the foil had been tampered with, you didn't put it in your vehicle. Their security system partially worked. Guess it's like another poster put it already, gotta pop cap on each bottle you intend to buy. I hope it is standard practice on all qualities of oils to use the foil sealer.

Originally Posted By: fordranger03
Can you imagine some sick piece of $@); carefully opening these bottles without disturbing the tamper proof seal, pouring a little out, adding something like muratic acid, drano, bleach or lye to the bottle and returning it?...

Yes.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: mozart
Got home from Walmart with 6 quarts

That was your first mistake.

How was that a mistake? Or is that a hate Wal-Mart jab?

Oh goodie! Another ripoff to watch out for.

This kind of stuff isn't exclusive to Walmar, as I recently had a discussion at a local home improvement store about retuning stuff. They examined the stuff I was returning (extra from a project) very carefully so I struck up a conversation about it and got an earful. I recently returned an oil filter to Walmart that had a dented can and the gal doing the exchange did everything but use an electron microscope to check it out. She explained that they have had people trying to returning used filters and other automotive stuff. Used oil in a bottle is a new one on me though. Thanks for the heads up.

New rule: You try to return used oil and get caught... you get to drink it!

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Doesn't this make a case for the clear bottles that QSUD and some others use??

It is a retailers problem to solve and not a oil manufacturers problem.

Also, clear bottles are not ideal for long term storage. Oil exposed to extensive amount of UV sunlight will break down quicker. QSUD use of clear bottles is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: mozart
Got home from Walmart with 6 quarts

That was your first mistake.

How was that a mistake? Or is that a hate Wal-Mart jab?

That was more like "everybody shops at wal mart, including crazy people, so you're more likely to get crazy results when you buy something as serious as motor oil there".

Not to say that I don't shop the auto section once in awhile there, but it was more of a tongue-in-cheek ill-humor type of jab at wal-mart.

This kind of stuff isn't exclusive to Walmar, as I recently had a discussion at a local home improvement store about retuning stuff. They examined the stuff I was returning (SNIP)
New rule: You try to return used oil and get caught... you get to drink it![/quote]
I've gotten dead light bulbs swapped into the box,and a beaten to pieces heat gun . Problem is , I've shown them where stuff was bad / tampered and they just put it back on the shelf! The returns clerk at the store I frequent mentioned a 5 gallon bucket of paint refilled with water!

That was more like "everybody shops at wal mart, including crazy people, so you're more likely to get crazy results when you buy something as serious as motor oil there".

Not to say that I don't shop the auto section once in awhile there, but it was more of a tongue-in-cheek ill-humor type of jab at wal-mart.

Understand.

FWIW, when I lived in South Texas going back 15+ years or so ago, it was a problem down there of used motor oil and even antifreeze being returned to Wal-Mart. So this incident with the OP is not a new trending event but I suspect being more common with the economy being in the dump as it is.

[/quote]

How could you tell the difference?

Was the oil a different color? [/quote]

It didn't smell the same and was a darker color. I couldn't swear it was conventional, but, I doubt someone would swap it with better stuff. Maybe Supertech or something. Motor is fine so It had to be close to grade...

My fault for not checking that the foil seal was intact when I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back