Lesson learned... compare bottle side color

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got home from Walmart with 6 quarts of Mobil1 0W30 (1Qt bottle and 5Qbottle)

I put the 1st quart in and it is see-through amberish

I crack open the plastic cap (yes it wasn't broken) on the 5Qt bottle and hear a "pssss" and my eyebrow raises.

The foil was crumpled

I pulled it back and the oil was blacker than what I took out of the car

grrrrr

someone had returned used oil in a new bottle

time to go back and try to get a new one. Hope they believe me

Last edited:
Check his post, the cap was secure. The unknown jerk got the cap off intact. (Hint, they get it on intact somehow, I have a couple ideas how, but am not going to share them.)

I keep hearing about this more and more... People in this world are a bunch of scammers and scum bags.. Low life moochers

spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

spankme2.gif

That Emotioacon is aweosme.

So sad we screw everyone over like that!!

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: tpitcher

spankme2.gif

That Emotioacon is aweosme.

So sad we screw everyone over like that!!

Yep..I agree..

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
You shoulda learned on here, check the caps first

That's the weird thing. The cap was NOT broken, just the aluminum seal was. I don't know how that can be done. I'm not even sure you could tell the color difference in the side level strip, but I suspect if I had looked I might have seen something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I always purchase my PP from Walmart (for price ONLY) and will from now on look at my jug very carefully.

agreed, this has become to common..

Originally Posted By: mozart
The cap was NOT broken, just the aluminum seal was. I don't know how that can be done.

Dead-easy. That cap security-seal flange is really stretchy.

Turn the cap in the "off" direction until it has a bit of tension on the security seal. Now take a dinner knife or other thin, blunt object, and gently feed the cap's security seal flange over its receiving recess on the bottle neck. You do this by sticking the knife under the flange and lifting it. It works kind of like freeing a bicycle tire from its rim, a little at a time. Turn a bit more, watching the nicks on the cap to make sure they don't stretch so much as to break, and keep lifting with the knife. Turn and lift, turn and lift. In less than a minute, off she comes.

I just tried this, just now, on a brand-new quart bottle of Mobil1. Worked perfectly.

Those integral cap security-seals were meant to prevent tampering IN-STORE ONLY. They are often ineffective against tampering once the consumer has the product outside the store, with time to work on it at his leisure. Better against tampering outside the store are the rigid-plastic shrink-band type seals that have perforations along at least one side. These are often found on food products.

I always purchase my PP from Walmart (for price ONLY) and will from now on look at my jug very carefully.

I had one with the same situation except the oil wasn't used. I believe someone substituted conventional for The Mobil 1. Needless to say, I did a very short OCI.

Let us know how the return goes. Hopefully they don't cause too much trouble with the return.

I was purchasing some compact florescent light bulbs at Walmart and noticed that the white ceramic base of the bulbs in one pack were darker then those of other packs. So I picked up a different pack to purchase, and also took the pack of used bulbs and pointed out the dark parts of the ceramic to the senior sales person, and pointed out that apparently someone had returned used bulbs. At first she did not believe me, saying that those bulbs are in a sealed plastic pack. I told her to look at the plastic pack. It is only held together by a few points of round pop apart / pop together spots where one piece of plastic can fit into the other. She finally agreed that the plastic pack was not fused together, and she agreed that the white ceramic base looked used, and those bulbs were probably no good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnachak

I had one with the same situation except the oil wasn't used. I believe someone substituted conventional for The Mobil 1. Needless to say, I did a very short OCI.

How could you tell the difference?

Was the oil a different color?

Same exact thing happened to me on a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 from Walmart. Man I was hot when I noticed it. They let me exchange it. Ever since then,I check them out good.

The problem, IMHO, oils have gotten so expensive...although there are plenty of other just as good alternative oils other then Mobil 1

The type of people frequenting Walmart has nothing to do with it; I see people of all walks of life, all income ranges...problem is Walmart themselves. They don't teach their employees to seriously look at returned items, they simply scan the return and throw it in a basket.

Not everyone cares to buy their oil from a box auto store, they charge twice as much as Walmart does; and yet, one still has to be careful cause it's been talked about being a problem here in Colorado where box stores have inadvertenly sold used oil in what looks to be new containers as well.

Guess that has something to do the with type of frequent visitors.

There is the certain element who just live 'to beat the system'.

All their thoughts center around getting something for nothing, and they are so proud that they can do so.

I once bought 3 quarts of some M1 gear oil, one of which had been opened and some used from it.

My Diff only takes 2 1/4 quarts, apparently so did somebody else's. I still have a half quart.

I told the manager of the store well after the fact, told him to have his employees check returns closer, and he threw me a free can of brake cleaner or something, I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back