Lesabres last oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.k guy,s here,s the thing,got a 95 Buick Lesabre 3800 engine 189000 miles.Done two auto-rx treatments,going to put synthetic oil in it and drive it till it dies.What I would like to know is what oil to put in it(Green castrol,Amsoil or maybe Pennzoil and how long to you think it will live.Opinons please

I'm assuming that it doesn't leak? I'd go Mobil 1 EP with a Pure One or Wix and change it after 15,000 miles. Why ruin a perfectly good engine just because it has high mileage?

Mobil 1 in a 3800V6? Are you guys trying to torture me or what? The 3800V6 is the world's best V6; it deserves better treatment than that. I also advise against the Pure One because of its restrictive flow.

I suggest the Puralator Premium Plus, or an AC Delco PF47. As far as the oil, any of the HM 10W-30's will do well.
wink.gif

Makes no sense. Why would you go through the expense and trouble of two Auto R-X treatments then change to an expensive premium synthetic oil then never change the oil again?

I think it would be more fun to see how many miles you can get out of it by maintaining it properly. I vote for MaxLife Syn (maybe FAR in Canada too?)and a Wix/NAPA Gold filter

My Buick went 239,000 before it died on dino. If your going to do what you said you are. Run Amsoil 30wt diesel/gas oil. Run a cheap filter in the 2 to 3 dollar range. Change the filter every 5K and add the 1/2 qt to refill the oil filter.

I am doing the same thing on another car, but have installed a bypass filter and will replace the fullflow every 10K. The engine uses some oil so make up would be in the 1qt range each week.

I would be willing to say you will go to 250K before it gives up the ghost! Heck that's 5 years of driving for the normal person.

Nah, just run High Mileage oil in it, brand your choice, and change it every 5000-6000miles if you no longer care to "baby it"...

If it develops even a slight head-gasket leak (the only chink in an otherwise indestructible GM armor that the mighty 3800V6 is, is that they occasionally develop head-gasket leaks), your motor will face an ever increasing onslaught of extremely thick antifreeze/coolant residue which will turn oil into Elmer's Glue once the water content boils-off, and this would roast your engine regardless of the oil you use...

So I'd either do an UOA to insure that you have no coolant getting into the crankcase if you are set on going synthetic for many a mile, or change the oil every four or five months after 5000 to 7500 miles to flush any contaminants before damage ensues...

I plan on driving mine (171,000K and still going very strong) for another year, then lighting it on fire and pushing into a lake for it's journey to the fighting hall of Valhalla (to the tune of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" of course).
wink.gif

[ April 29, 2006, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Nickdfresh ]

This is my little experiment to see how long this engine will go on 4.5 quarts of synthetic oil before it suffers oil related problems weather it be 10000 miles or 100000 miles time will tell.Thinking German Castrol or maybe Amsoil 0w-30,filter I don,t know yet

BTW, you have eight grease fittings that I'm sure you'll forget about if you don't change the oil on it too...
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by keval85:
This is my little experiment to see how long this engine will go on 4.5 quarts of synthetic oil before it suffers oil related problems weather it be 10000 miles or 100000 miles time will tell.Thinking German Castrol or maybe Amsoil 0w-30,filter I don,t know yet

Interesting... I see. Well, I'd go GC or use an otherwise Ester POE based oil to maximize the support to the seals so you don't develop leaks...

**** it! Now you got me thinkin' the same thing!!
confused.gif

In that case, you may well indeed want to do a UOA on it (take the oil out when you change the filter)...

quote:

Originally posted by Nickdfresh:
BTW, you have eight grease fittings that I'm sure you'll forget about if you change the don't oil on it too...
nono.gif
Nick I will be doing all the other maintence(grease,air filter etc)just going to run the oil for life
wink.gif

quote:

Interesting... I see. Well, I'd go GC or use an otherwise Ester POE based oil to maximize the support to the seals so you don't develop leaks...

**** it! Now you got me thinkin' the same thing!!
confused.gif

In that case, you may well indeed want to do a UOA on it (take the oil out when you change the filter)...

Do as LCM says. Get 2 gallons of Amsoil ACD (10W)30 and go for it.

You may be surprised how far you can go, so.....if the point is to kill the car quick so you have an excuse to buy a new one - may as well just sell it
smile.gif
sleeping.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Do as LCM says. Get 2 gallons of Amsoil ACD (10W)30 and go for it.

You may be surprised how far you can go, so.....if the point is to kill the car quick so you have an excuse to buy a new one - may as well just sell it
smile.gif
sleeping.gif
cheers.gif

Not trying to kill it quick Pablo,just want to see how good syn oil is besides with the price of gas I,m thinkin I might be stuck with this old car anyways
grin.gif

I say, give the car a fighting chance, don't just be a Roman and throw it to the lions. How about putting on a Fumoto valve and once a month drain a jigger, and pour in a jigger of fresh oil.

Then, you do a jigger of your favorite libation. Keep track of the amount of oil utilized by saving your empty bottles of libation.

OR........put a bypass filter on it,(remove when car engine is retired) Put Amsoil 10/30wt diesel/gas oil in it...why? 12tbn and nada VI improvers. And just run it doing a UOA every 20 grand.

This would make the faint of heart feel better
lol.gif

quote:

Please don't kill the car. You could at least donate it to the Salvation Army, or some other charitable group. Fill it with fresh synthetic, donate it, & consider it your good deed of the day.
smile.gif

I did "last oil changes" for 4 years on a car while it "was going to die" I ended up getting tired of driving it and donated it to charity. I also installed a last set of tires, last set of spark plugs, last smog inspection, last headlight bulbs, last brake pads and rotors, last ball joints, and last struts. the engine rattled and the transmission slipped but it was some kind of Rasputin car, it just wounldn't die.

I'd put Delo 15w-40 in your engine if you are bend on it being a "last change". add a little sand if you are really bent on it being the last oil change.

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:
The car will die a coolant death before your test kills it. What's the point of posting later another my gm 3.8 leaked thread.

Did the intake gaskets myself using Felpro,coolant ain,t going to hurt this old girl
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back