Leonard Nimoy Passes Away at 83

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Good Sir! I grew up watching him play Spock and will miss seeing him in that role. He gave a fantastic speech at my graduating class in 2012 at Boston University.

Great guy and he will be missed!

'LLAP'

RIP sir, you still bring me joy while watching the original series. Thank You

RIP. One of the few heroes from my childhood whose reputation remained untarnished his whole life. May he enjoy his adventures beyond the final frontier.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
RIP. One of the few heroes from my childhood whose reputation remained untarnished his whole life. May he enjoy his adventures beyond the final frontier.

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro

Exactly!

Personally I liked Spock better than the Captain. Spock seemed more professional. And I liked the newer version of the show better than the old version. But the original show was a groundbreaking new kind of show.

Leonard Nimoy did a great job playing Spock.

frown.gif

Nimoy got much better as an actor as he went along. He didn't spring onto the acting scene fully formed, per se. He was on record as saying that at one point he had to support himself as an acting teacher and driving a cab. I've seen an early performance of his, pre-"Trek," on "Perry Mason," and another on "Man from U.N.C.L.E.," and with both you could be forgiven for thinking he'd never be a star.

Then came "Star Trek."

What he, and occasional co-star Mark Lenard, gave us with their alien characters was a strong impression of superb intellectuality holding emotion at bay. So many of the actors who followed them playing Vulcans seemed unconvincing, except for Tim Russ as Tuvok on "Voyager." Nimoy brought some of that same flavor to a role as a Chinese spy, impersonated by his character Paris, on "Mission: Impossible." The character was impressive.

On top of that Nimoy directed the 3rd "Trek" film, and did a fine job.

The stories and comments on Yahoo! indicate he was a gentleman in private life as well. R.I.P., Mr. Nimoy. When I get to the Happy Hunting Grounds, I'll look you up, along with Robert Culp. I'll bet you'll have some real stories to tell.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
MinamiKotaro said:

Agreed. So rare these days.

Last edited:
RIP Leonard Nimoy. I had an impromptu opportunity to meet in in Lake Tahoe about 30 or so years ago. I played Black Jack with him and had an opportunity to speak with him. Strangely we were the only two people at this table. He was about as down to earth and nice a person as can be. I enjoyed Star Trek, and the Star Trek movies with him.

I did manage to get an autograph.

RIP Leonard
frown.gif
You're one of my favorite actors of all time!! He did a few easy listening lps in the late 60's. I need to find copies of them to add them to my record collection.

Terrible loss. He was not only great in Star Trek, but I used to watch In Search Of that he hosted. Great series.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
RIP Leonard
frown.gif
You're one of my favorite actors of all time!! He did a few easy listening lps in the late 60's. I need to find copies of them to add them to my record collection.

There's a record of whale songs with him. "Whales Alive". Great drift-off-to-sleep-music.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
RIP Leonard Nimoy. I had an impromptu opportunity to meet in in Lake Tahoe about 30 or so years ago. I played Black Jack with him and had an opportunity to speak with him. Strangely we were the only two people at this table. He was about as down to earth and nice a person as can be. I enjoyed Star Trek, and the Star Trek movies with him.

I did manage to get an autograph.

That's awesome!

Okay, I'll let you guys in on a closely guarded personal secret that I've never even told my wife.

When I was in grade school, this bully was picking on me. He noticed my ears were kind of pointy and started calling me "Spock."

The name stuck all the way through High School with me running for Student Council President with the slogan "Vote Spock," (and yes, I was an "AV" geek back in the day).

At first, it really bothered me, but then I started watching "Star Trek" and kinda modeled my behavior on the calm, cool character of "Spock" who always sought to reason things out rather than explode with emotion (we all know who we're talking about here).

I graduated from High School and went far, far away to college and never told anyone my nick name.

My wife doesn't know. My children don't know. But now, you guys know - be gentle.

May the First Officer of the USS Enterprise rest in peace. You lived long and prospered, and touched more lives than you knew in a very positive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back