Leonard Nimoy Passes Away at 83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Okay, I'll let you guys in on a closely guarded personal secret that I've never even told my wife.

When I was in grade school, this bully was picking on me. He noticed my ears were kind of pointy and started calling me "Spock."

The name stuck all the way through High School with me running for Student Council President with the slogan "Vote Spock," (and yes, I was an "AV" geek back in the day).

At first, it really bothered me, but then I started watching "Star Trek" and kinda modeled my behavior on the calm, cool character of "Spock" who always sought to reason things out rather than explode with emotion (we all know who we're talking about here).

I graduated from High School and went far, far away to college and never told anyone my nick name.

My wife doesn't know. My children don't know. But now, you guys know - be gentle.

May the First Officer of the USS Enterprise rest in peace. You lived long and prospered, and touched more lives than you knew in a very positive way.

You could hardly have had a better model among fictional characters.

One more childhood hero gone
frown.gif

we have not only lost a great actor or director, but an iconic legend in my opinion...every thing I read about him indicates he was a good person.

darn this really brought my day down, that man is a Legend.

I wasn't too much of a Star Trek fanatic but i did catch some the older episodes/movies and I really liked the new Star Trek movies and Seeing him in the new ones really endorsed the the new spin on the story.

Like a vulcan I expected him to live for almost forever.

Originally Posted By: kmcavin
RIP Leonard

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... Human".

+1. Indeed.

May you travel unheeded for eternity through the vastness of space. I look forward to joining you one day.

I saw him recently in an episode of Sea Hunt which had to be from the late 1950's, starring Lloyd Bridges. I remember watching that as a kid. He was also in a Bonanza episode I saw recently. His career spanned a very long time.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
On top of that Nimoy directed the 3rd "Trek" film, and did a fine job.

Nimoy also directed Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

hotwheels

I watched all the time in the mid 60's.

Spock was the main reason why I had an 8th Grade Science aptitude... In 3rd Grade...

LLAP Leonard.

You're in good company GreeCguy!

No worries. It's the folks who are insecure that won't admit their fondness for Star Trek.

I think we have all been blessed to have known him (either through his work or in person). I never met him personally, but the loss is quite painful.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
RIP. One of the few heroes from my childhood whose reputation remained untarnished his whole life. May he enjoy his adventures beyond the final frontier.

+3

Bugger...

Quote:
Nimoy’s last tweet, sent on Monday, suggested he knew the end was near: “A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP.”

CreeGuy, I can relate.

I remember watching the very first broadcast of Star Trek: "The Man Trap." I was in Fourth Grade. Over the years it remained one of my favorite shows- watching it in syndication over the years, followed by the movies and the new iterations of the franchise. And I was blessed with a son who embraced the show(along with most all of my other interests) Spock was always such an intriguing character, due entirely to Nimoy's interpretation. While I've mourned the passing of other Trek icons, Nimoy's death really drives home the fact that it is the end of an era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back