LeMans 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oliver88
Cleaning the Vette was the lamest racing moment i have ever seen...if a car runs flat out for 24 Hours it ought to look like it...Cheesy move.

i remember one year one of the teams actually waxed their car on a pitstop.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Cleaning the Vette was the lamest racing moment i have ever seen...if a car runs flat out for 24 Hours it ought to look like it...Cheesy move.

yeah that is really g a y.

Originally Posted By: buster

it pleases the sponsers that pay for the team so its not all that bad.

i miss when Audi was able to swap out the gearbox and rear suspension in 5 minutes. i remember watching that when it happened and the announcer was speechless.

The car that really impressed everyone was the Porsche RS Spyder in LMP2...ran without any issues at all...and won by a substantial margin. Unfortunately they weren't so lucky in GT2 as accidents and issues plagued all the teams.

That's what I like about the endurance racing, esp. the 24 hours of LeMans. They do all sorts of mechanic jobs from brake pads to gear box changes. This is all done in minutes, usually, and the components are red hot. I keep hoping the 'quick change' technology is going to trickle down to the street cars of Audi, Corvette, Porche, etc.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
It's not in their interest since they charge by the hour.

Cynic.

Recently I did some research on racing brakes and as part of it I located a small dry-break connector that's designed for race car brake lines. Basically, with racing brakes on a car, you pull three bolts (two to attach the caliper to the knuckle, one to hold the rotor on the hub), pop the connector and pull the caliper and rotor assembly off the car as a unit. Installation is the reverse of removal. Practice it fifty times and you can do it in less than a minute.

Not a lot of demand though for the connectors at $500 for each half (in aluminum, the titanium version costs more) plus about $2000 for each caliper and rotor set (the basic ones). Heck, even the pads are $200 per corner.

But it sure saves a lot of time!

now if i could only find out where they get the centerlock hubs i would be in business.

btw heres an awesome video of a rotor change on a Aussie V8 Supercar pitstop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppffCnGcUWU

i have that caliper piston tool, the really big one, works awesome on Brembo calipers btw.

I've got one too - it's a great not-so-little gizmo!

If you want center-lock hubs, get a 2010 Porsche GT3. It comes complete with a set of four.

I suppose it depends on what you think your time is worth! You are right though this stuff is not trivial.

Originally Posted By: buster

it pleases the sponsers that pay for the team so its not all that bad.

i miss when Audi was able to swap out the gearbox and rear suspension in 5 minutes. i remember watching that when it happened and the announcer was speechless.

I remember that Audi swap. I was speechless myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back