Leftover 20 50, how can i use it?

I changed the hydrostatic drive oil 20 50 today and have 2.5 qts leftover. Can I use this for bar/chain oil on my chainsaw?
How about mixing it with 5 20 and adding it to my mixed oil batch for my small engine... getting it to say 10 40 ish?
I won't use this for its intended use for many years.

It'll work as bar and chain oil but supposedly isn't quite as good as the real deal. I use motor oil/used motor oil all the time and never had a problem. It has a tendency to sling/leak a bit more than real chain oil because it isn't quite as thick if it's hot out.

You can run 20w50 in most lawn mower engines no problem as long as the weather is hot or do like you said and cut it with some 5w20/etc.

I have used that weight in my lawn mowers many times without any problems.. Hydrostatic drive oil doesn't need attention that often which is why I would use it in a small engine unless you want it sitting around for a while.. I wouldn't use it for bar/chain oil because it is not "tacky" enough and will fling everywhere including on you.

Motor oil is a poor choice for bar and chain oil. It slings everywhere and you use a lot more of it, constantly needing to refill.
Will it work? yes. Will it work good? no.

So, thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with mixing with equal parts of 0 20 synthetic.
Don't like slinging oil w my chainsaw!

Motor oil is a poor choice for bar and chain oil. It slings everywhere and you use a lot more of it, constantly needing to refill.
Will it work? yes. Will it work good? no.
Interesting comment. I've never used anything but PCMO for bar oil. Is bar oil as sticky as molasses with a very high viscosity or what?

Interesting comment. I've never used anything but PCMO for bar oil. Is bar oil as sticky as molasses with a very high viscosity or what?
Bar and Chain oil is more tacky and sticks to the bar better. It still slings, but a lot less than motor oil.
Also, more environmentally friendly bar and chain oils are available that are less harmful to the environment.

Got my first chainsaws from my grandfather. He used used car straight 30 oil on his chainsaw bars. Which explained why they looked filthy and were all worn out.

Back