Left lane hogs - BEWARE!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just copied this off of AOL news.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!
by Eric Peters

Some good news: Left lane hogs are finally getting the attention they deserve from traffic cops -- and traffic laws.

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are begiining to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by. For decades, these drivers have been allowed to create rolling roadblocks and interrupt the smooth (and therfore safe) flow of traffic with virtual impunity because "faiure to yield" laws were either not on the books -- or not enforced. And twenty-plus years of ddumbed-down, politicized "driver's education" and "safety" campaigns had effectively propagandized the populace into believing their was only one cardinal sin -- "speeding."

And so the focus of traffic "safety" enforcement was speed limit laws -- which of course were often ridiculous (the best example being the 55-mph National Maximum Speed Limit that Congress finally repealed in 1995. But these under-posted, artificially low speed limits were found to be very useful in terms of generating an unforseen flow of easy money for state and local governments -- who soon became addicted. And it was so much easier for traffic cops to simply shoot fish in a barrel with their radar guns -- because almost every car on the road was going faster than the absurdly low posted limits.

Much easier than actually looking for dangerous drivers, anyhow.

This is finally changing, though.

In Colorado, state police have written more than 500 tickets to left lane hogs since the beginning of the year; in Florida, a bill is on the legilstive docket that would impose a $60 fine and four DMV "demerit points" on the driving record of motorists who refuse to allow faster moving traffic by.

Twenty years ago, this would have been an unthinkable violation of the politically correct orthodoxy that onle "speed kills" -- and therefore only enforcing speed limits (no matter how absurd or contrived) matters.

But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinancy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

Consider the example of Germany -- where yielding to faster-moving traffic is part of the national culture and adhered to religiously. As a result, it is possible for the Germans to have unlimited speed Autobahns -- where drivers in the left lane often overtake other cars at tripe digit speeds. But because German drivers are taught to use their mirrors -- and immediately move right to allow faster-moving approaching cars to pass -- they have a lower accident and fatality rate than we do here in the United States with our dumbed-down speed limits.

It will take time for the facts about the danger of left lane hogging to sink into the general consciousness -- the consequence of 20-plus years of neglect and outright disinformation peddled by know-nothing "safety" advocates.

But, at last, things are beginning to change for the better.

what if I'm doing 65-70 in the left lane of a 2-lane 55-mph road, with slower and enterring traffic upcoming on the right, and some bunghole behind me wants to do 90? Does that mean I have to yield to him by moving right, then hit my brakes to slow down in the right lane?

That seems to be the thing around here. Everybody around here has to pass and heaven forbid someone is in front of them. Nobody can wait their turn, that's the real problem. And we are doing 65 minimum, usually 75-80.

The latest thing around here is when there's a traffic backed up at a light, say two lanes turning left, people will drive up the right line which is supposed to go straight then cut in (only time they ever use their blinker) and then partially block traffic in the right lane.

Illinois has had a law on the books for over a year now to deal with squatters.

I don't know how many people have been pulled over for it, but I do have one acquaintance that did get a ticket for blocking the left lane.

"what if I'm doing 65-70 in the left lane of a 2-lane 55-mph road, with slower and enterring traffic upcoming on the right, and some bunghole behind me wants to do 90? Does that mean I have to yield to him by moving right, then hit my brakes to slow down in the right lane?"

If you in the left lane are passing people that are in the right lane, stay put.

If you are not passing anyone, it matters not if you are going 40 or 400, move over.

It's not rocket science.

Well, maybe to some it is.

btw, i love "triple digit sppeds in Germany" quote. 100kph = a measly 62.14mph

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
"what if I'm doing 65-70 in the left lane of a 2-lane 55-mph road, with slower and enterring traffic upcoming on the right, and some bunghole behind me wants to do 90? Does that mean I have to yield to him by moving right, then hit my brakes to slow down in the right lane?"

If you in the left lane are passing people that are in the right lane, stay put.

If you are not passing anyone, it matters not if you are going 40 or 400, move over.

It's not rocket science.

Well, maybe to some it is.

btw, i love "triple digit sppeds in Germany" quote. 100kph = a measly 62.14mph

Exactly, as long as you are going faster than the right lane traffic, stay put and pull over at your earliest convenience. It's the idiots who stay in the left lane going the speed limit or slower and REFUSE to pull over when there is plenty of other lane that chap my a$s.

The idios in the left lane who drive side-by-side matching speeds with someone in the right lane for miles on end also get a little annoying.

I've had these goofballs try the same crap with me when I'm driving in the right lane. Match my speed. Speed up, they speed up. Slow down, they slow down. Punch it and they won't keep matching your speed, though, and as you slow down to a normal speed they keep their distance from you. Hmmm..it's almost like a magnet, and you need to get far enough away from them to break the magnetic attraction.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
The idios in the left lane who drive side-by-side matching speeds with someone in the right lane for miles on end also get a little annoying.

On a couple of occcasions I have made a panic stop in the middle of no where when someone was doing that to me.
grin.gif
They tend to keep their distance after that.

> If you are not passing anyone, it matters not if you are going 40 or 400, move over.

-

the law will work in remote areas and rural interstates, and highways at 3am. Otherwise you're saying there's no speed limit, which means if you're ever in the left lane and someone is behind you, you're the bad guy. My point is people drive with no consideration, they want you out of their way, and if there is more than a 1/2 car gap between you and the car in front of you then they get mad at you because they think you are going to slow.

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
what if I'm doing 65-70 in the left lane of a 2-lane 55-mph road, with slower and enterring traffic upcoming on the right, and some bunghole behind me wants to do 90? Does that mean I have to yield to him by moving right, then hit my brakes to slow down in the right lane?

Yes. If the other car is going faster, then slow down for a second, go into the right lane, let them by, then speed up and go back into the left lane.

If one is going too slow for the fast lane, and too fast for the other lanes, then they need to change their speed. They must either slow down and get in the right lane, or speed up for the fast lane. Only go the speed you want when its not obstructing traffic!

That's too bad. It can be a lot of fun to speed up a little to block somebody trying to pass you on the right. The speeding weavers need to be sat down and taught to leave home 5 minutes earlier. Nothing beats a nice paced drive with your favourite coffee and the music cranked up.
smile.gif

Steve

"Otherwise you're saying there's no speed limit, which means if you're ever in the left lane and someone is behind you, you're the bad guy. "

no, not at all. You're only the bad guy if you are in the left lane and NOT PASSING ANYONE.

Speeding is against the law. So is left lane driving without passing.

You're only breaking the left lane law if you aren't passing someone.

Someone coming up behind you is not asking you to speed up. They are asking you to move over. If you are passing people and going as fast as you feel like going, chill out and drive on. Just move over when you can or when you are not passing anyone anymore.

What part of this is unclear?

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
That's too bad. It can be a lot of fun to speed up a little to block somebody trying to pass you on the right. The speeding weavers need to be sat down and taught to leave home 5 minutes earlier. Nothing beats a nice paced drive with your favourite coffee and the music cranked up.
smile.gif

Steve

I hope this reply was just a joke, if not, shame on you!
nono.gif
With that kind of attitude, it's a wonder the road rage problem is as bad as it is.

If you want to enjoy your coffee and music, you should stay out of the left lane while you're doing it.

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
Otherwise you're saying there's no speed limit, which means if you're ever in the left lane and someone is behind you, you're the bad guy.

No, I think he said that if you're in the left lane AND you are not passing someone, you need to move out of the way.

quote:

It's simple and logical..just like the 4-way stops that everyone seems to botch up.

gads, don't EVEN get me started.....

(too late)

It is a confirmed metaphysical fact that a lobotomizer is created whenever 4 stop signs are placed at a single intersection. Something about the convergence of anti-matter...the grey kind.

quote:

I've had these goofballs try the same crap with me when I'm driving in the right lane. Match my speed. Speed up, they speed up. Slow down, they slow down. Punch it and they won't keep matching your speed, though, and as you slow down to a normal speed they keep their distance from you. Hmmm..it's almost like a magnet, and you need to get far enough away from them to break the magnetic attraction.

Excellent observation and word choice. I, too, have pondered if some sort of magnetic effect was at work!!!!!!

I finally decided that the brain dead idiots are merely following the "herd instinct" pack animals possess. Humans are not solitary creatures as critters such as mountain lions are. We are like the wolves and chimps, we run in packs.

Those who are not self-actualized, who blunder through life without giving thought to their surroundings, will instinctively drive alongside others.

I have sped up, slowed down, and the dunsels end up alongside me again. The worst cases required extreme measures. Once, a lone female was so insistent upon driving alongside me (without looking over, she wasn't flirting while driving), I had to go on the shoulder and stop. She slowed waaaay down then sped up.

There have been times when I have pulled alongside those I took measures to "escape" from at the next stop light. I have received dirth looks, shaking heads....horizontally to indicate I was a bad boy, etc.

I, for one, will shed no tears when the 30-mile-wide asteroid impacts and rids this planet of the cancer that is humanity. Give another species a chance to ascend. Maybe they will get their act together.

quote:

Speeding is against the law. So is left lane driving without passing

In many states, there is NO law that requires you to drive in a certain lane on a 4 lane road. In these states, there IS a law that makes it legal to pass on the right under these conditions.

quote:

You're only the bad guy if you are in the left lane and NOT PASSING ANYONE

Come to New York and drive I86. The right lane is so bumpy that it will tear your suspension to pieces in a few hundred miles.

quote:

If one is going too slow for the fast lane, and too fast for the other lanes, then they need to change their speed. They must either slow down and get in the right lane, or speed up for the fast lane. Only go the speed you want when its not obstructing traffic!

Uhhh, so when I get a ticket because I didn't want to offend the guy who was speeding in the "fast lane", can I send you the bill for the fine and my bill for increased insurance costs.

The left lane is there for everyone, At no time was it intended for the average motorist to give the "right of way" to a law breaker.

If you are in the left lane and are doing the speed limit - you should not feel obligated to move over for the guy who is a breaking the law by speeding and tailgating.

If these people feel the need to break the law by speeding, then why can't they afford you the same law breaking opportunities (in a state where it is illegal)? Because they are selfish, dangerous drivers!

In all seriousness, if you are in the left lane, and you see someone approaching in you rear view mirror, be nice and move over until they have passed. After this, if you would still like to drive in the left lane (because it is much smoother), feel free until the next guy comes along. This is the only polite way to drive. And, it does require checking your mirrors occationally.

If this same idiot talegates you while you are passing a car, be prepared for him to clip the front of the car you are passing because he can't wait for you to have the suggested 2 second rule between you and the vehicle you just passed.

I am no driving expert, but at the age of 30, I have over a half of million miles of driving experience. I see the idiots on the road. The people who make a big deal out of other driving in the left lane are usually very aggressive drivers, and therefore, IMHO, in the wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

The left lane is there for everyone, At no time was it intended for the average motorist to give the "right of way" to a law breaker.

It is the law in many countries and some states.

Anyone who wants to control the flow of traffic should join a police force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back