LED license plate lights. Tried the Sylvania Super Bright LED - Recommended.

I tried out some new LED plate lights from the auto store. ($23+ per two pack) They are Sylvania 168/194 Super Bright 6000k LED plate lights. I am not a fan of putting LEDs in let's say brake lights, blinkers or anything like that(Yes i did put LED in projector headlights on the sonata, but thats a whole different thread lol) when they were designed for halogen but for plate lights, im all for it.

I usually get the Sylvania regular 0.5 watt 6000K LED license plate lights but decided to try the super bright version.. And honestly they are bright lol they really illuminate the plate nicely and they also give the vehicle a modern look. The Sylvania regular also do the same. I've never had to replace the Sylvania regular LED once, so while i cant tell you how long the super bright version will last, i can tell you on the regular led im up to years on the sonata and elantra and they still operate perfectly. The kia has the super bright version. The pictures it hard to tell the difference but the superbright are a little brighter, and maybe a "touch" whiter.. I do recommend the Sylvania LED license plate light bulbs in either version. They last a long time, look really nice plus illuminate perfectly. The price is the worst part about these bulbs. Even the regular LED version is at least $17-$18 at the auto store. for two pack...
super.jpg
bright .jpg

Regular Sylvania LED 600K. 0.5 watt.
IMG_0078.jpeg

Super Bright LED Sylvania
IMG_0413.jpeg

Nice car on the bottom pic. You don't see a Forte Koup everyday and you have the big 4 cylinder and manual transmission.

Nice car on the bottom pic. You don't see a Forte Koup everyday and you have the big 4 cylinder and manual transmission.
Thanks! You are correct there!! I never knew about this Koup. I completely overlooked it, and cant remember seeing an SX in person.. ever. I've always had 4 door "sporty" Kia's and Hyundais. The Turbo Optima and Turbo Sport Sonata, a couple elantras, all automatic also, but never even contemplated a koup. I'm sorry I overlooked it to be honest with you. I would of bought it new probably lol. The Sonata engine without DI and a 6 speed in a honest 2790lb car its an absolute blast to drive.... as they say for a Hyundai. :ROFLMAO:

1) I'm glad you like your LEDs and that they work.
2) The 193 & 194 bulbs (3 & 4 watt, respectively) have a thinner base than the 5 watt version so I've always been leery of loose fit. The license plate bulbs I've seen are all 5W5. One has to ask why the industry didn't designate a 195.
3) I'm from the old, "don't stand out" school of automotive appearance, so no $25-$30 rear end LED beacons for me, thank you.

I used the Super Bright LED‘s myself…

Standard size

Oversized

I had a set in the clearance markers in my last Volvo. The Sylvania LEDs are the only replacement I’ve had that have no instances of failure.

Because in some places law enforcement will pull your over and give the driver a warning ticket. Ask me how I know...
I've a car that had bright green led license plate bulbs, you couldn't make out the plate at all. I'm sure there's some ticket for that....

I tried out some new LED plate lights from the auto store. ($23+ per two pack) They are Sylvania 168/194 Super Bright 6000k LED plate lights. I am not a fan of putting LEDs in let's say brake lights, blinkers or anything like that(Yes i did put LED in projector headlights on the sonata, but thats a whole different thread lol) when they were designed for halogen but for plate lights, im all for it.

I usually get the Sylvania regular 0.5 watt 6000K LED license plate lights but decided to try the super bright version.. And honestly they are bright lol they really illuminate the plate nicely and they also give the vehicle a modern look. The Sylvania regular also do the same. I've never had to replace the Sylvania regular LED once, so while i cant tell you how long the super bright version will last, i can tell you on the regular led im up to years on the sonata and elantra and they still operate perfectly. The kia has the super bright version. The pictures it hard to tell the difference but the superbright are a little brighter, and maybe a "touch" whiter.. I do recommend the Sylvania LED license plate light bulbs in either version. They last a long time, look really nice plus illuminate perfectly. The price is the worst part about these bulbs. Even the regular LED version is at least $17-$18 at the auto store. for two pack...
View attachment 88777View attachment 88778
Regular Sylvania LED 600K. 0.5 watt.
View attachment 88779
Super Bright LED Sylvania
View attachment 88780

They both look pretty bright to me.

I've a car that had bright green led license plate bulbs, you couldn't make out the plate at all. I'm sure there's some ticket for that....

I just looked up the law here in Alberta and it says the tag lights have to be white. I imagine it's the same pretty much everywhere.

So I had ordered some of the Sylvania Zevo 2825 White LEDs for my front side marker lights but then changed my mind and want to go with Amber versions for those instead. I didn't feel like returning these and since it turned out that my license plate tag lights used the same bulb I threw them in there. As some of you suggested, it's probably best not to give the police any more excuses to pull you over.

The lights don't quite point in the right direction on my car because my housings are angled and the stock incandescents work in a more sideways manner, while these LEDs point more forwards. They are also maybe a bit too bright. But it is what it is, I'm just going to leave them in now and they should last the life of the vehicle so I'll never have to change them again or worry about them going out. It is kind of a cool look too tbh.

Attachments

• PXL_20220220_135130409 retouched.jpg
    PXL_20220220_135130409 retouched.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 47
I installed some ebay (yep made in china, but they have cool designs!) LED panels in my license plate light location. They have about 8 or 9 pairs of surface mount LED's on each panel, that fit the stock location (replaces the lens) and plugs into the stock harness, very cool.. but..Bright? oh yeah.. You know what's awesome about that? Turn on your parking lights (which light up the license plate light) and you now have light on the ground behind your car! so.. if you drop something behind your car, no need to get a flashlight! (y):D

I installed some ebay (yep made in china, but they have cool designs!) LED panels in my license plate light location. They have about 8 or 9 pairs of surface mount LED's on each panel, that fit the stock location (replaces the lens) and plugs into the stock harness, very cool.. but..Bright? oh yeah.. You know what's awesome about that? Turn on your parking lights (which light up the license plate light) and you now have light on the ground behind your car! so.. if you drop something behind your car, no need to get a flashlight! (y):D

Do you have any pics?

I'm not sure if license plate lights are expected to do that much. All of our cars have similar light housings that are almost frosted which I think reduces the light output. Coincidentally, we were out last night in two cars (daughter was returning to college in her car). Her car has LED bulbs (10-pack from Amazon that fit in # 194, # 168, etc sockets) and when she drove past us in the parking lot, I told my wife the lights don't light up the plate very well. Once we pulled behind her though, with the reflective plate and our headlights on it, the lights really didn't matter.

Back