Lectin avoidance shopping list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, and before the bandwagon starts about "fads"...we have issues at home.

Family excluding me are diagnosed Celiacs...daughter will react to subway staff not changing their gloves between regular bread and a gluten free wrap, she's that sensitive.

But other lectins are causing her grief too...nightshades...confirmable with the reaction to eating a half a tomato, or a bowl of (gluten free) pasta.

Here's a Gundry shopping list that we get guidance from.
https://gundrymd.com/wp-content/pdf/Plant-Paradox-Shopping-LIst.pdf

Note, we don't obey it where there's no issues...garbanzo beans for instance have zero issues....pickled cucumbers similary.

I'm about to send my hair off for testing for food sensitivity. I'll share the report with you when I get to see if you're interested in testing.

Is Paleo lectin free?

Sorry to hear about the food issues your family has to deal with...but, honestly, I am also very sad to hear that Subway has been exported to your country.
If they have gluten free wraps, though, I can see why it might be a good destination for your gang.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Forks over Knives .video on Netflex

[off-topic]
CourierDriver, With all due respect, The OP has stated many times and for many years they cook (healthy) at home!

Sorry to hear that. That is in Oz, where they pride themselves on clean everything. I found that most food products were of higher quality when we lived there.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I'm about to send my hair off for testing for food sensitivity. I'll share the report with you when I get to see if you're interested in testing.
Can you share a link to this lab service?

Shannow,
RE: gluten free pasta.
You are due (Mrs. and little missus) for searching the gluten free available in your area at all surounding stores.
Read all labels at all time as miss-informed stockers/customers mix products all the time!

Also go to:
-korean stores (sweet potatoes noodles)
-thai stores (different type of rice noodles)
-indian stores (various integral rice)

Also, doable at home:
-homemade rice noodles from wholegrain rice flour
-homemade noodles from wholegrain buckwheat (japanese style); also for options russian cuisine
-use your brick making skills and build a backyard (gluten free) pizza/bread oven (Cooks Illustrated had a pretty good recipe for gluten free pizza dough)

P.S. hmmm, my Celiac daughter reacted to couple (tomato) pasta sauce and fat-free sour cream....

P.S.2: did you managed to find a gluten-free replacement for vegemite? (genuinely interested in that, many thanks)

Shannow, that PDF is a nicely composed list of foods, but "foods that cause disease and weight gain" is very vague, why do the foods in the "no" list cause "disease and weight gain"? Their lectin content? Dairy product don't contain lectins, it could be the A1 vs A2 they are separating, but they do have "1.oz cheese or 4.oz yogurt per day" in the "yes" list without specifying the type of milk used to make that cheese or yogurt. I do agree with minimizing those junk oils on their "no" list.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by jc1112
I think Dr Gundry says pressure cooking certain foods kills the lectins

He does...I pressure cooked some bolognese the other week, and daughter bloated up afterwards...kidney beans no problems...daughter appears to do poorly on nightshades (not even game to try eggplant).

With these problems there is damage to the gut. Beans and Nightshade can be very irritating. Unless the package stated Gluten free there probably is Gluten in the ingredients. somewhere. My wife and daughter have a Gluten intolerance. We have no products with Gluten in the house.

Originally Posted by CT8
With these problems there is damage to the gut. Beans and Nightshade can be very irritating. Unless the package stated Gluten free there probably is Gluten in the ingredients. somewhere. My wife and daughter have a Gluten intolerance. We have no products with Gluten in the house.

I forgot to explain something in my other post to Shannow:
Our experience is the gluten free products have different degrees of gluten free....
So unfortunately, it's trial and error, with all the discomfort it brings.
That's why I suggested they go to all the stores (including online) where they can find gluten free products and basically test one by one until they figure out the ones that work for them.
And after they found the one it works, there is still no guarantee they will keep the current recipe/quality.

For example , here in US we use the flours from Bob's Red Mill, but if you look on the gluten free forums, there are people really sensitive to them.

Wheat has other potentially irritating components that are not gluten, and some other grains contain significant quantities of these same irritants. Some people who are sensitive to wheat do not have a problem with gluten in particular.

Originally Posted by BearZDefect
Wheat has other potentially irritating components that are not gluten, and some other grains contain significant quantities of these same irritants. Some people who are sensitive to wheat do not have a problem with gluten in particular.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Gundry poses an interesting point...half (I think) the world has done everything that they could to remove the lectin containing portions of rice, and make it white as possible (wheat as well in France and Italy)...only recently we've decided it's healthy to leave that stuff in...why, over 10,000 years, haven't rice based cultures worked out that brown is better ?

Maybe it isn't...

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Forks over Knives .video on Netflex

[off-topic]
CourierDriver, With all due respect, The OP has stated many times and for many years they cook (healthy) at home!

Thankyou...yes we do...

Here's what I'm doing to try to help

20190221_185753.jpg

That's a jar of pickles, fermented with the contents of a high end pro-biotic capsule...to the right, probiotic coconut water (not a fan, it's going).

That, and my krauut are full of good stuff (plus more vitamins that plain veges, Courierdriver has to supplement on plain veg).

Alas, I can lead a horse (or a herd of them) to water so to speak and can't make them drink.

The probiotic pickles are really tasty, and the pickle juice tastes pretty good...but they aren't store bought processed stuff, and the kombucha doesn't taste like hibiscus and stevia....

Oh well, more for me.

It can be a real challenge, if not impossible, to get children to eat the better foods that we have put so much effort into providing for them.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
That's a jar of pickles, fermented with the contents of a high end pro-biotic capsule...to the right, probiotic coconut water (not a fan, it's going).

That, and my krauut are full of good stuff (plus more vitamins that plain veges, Courierdriver has to supplement on plain veg).

Alas, I can lead a horse (or a herd of them) to water so to speak and can't make them drink.

The probiotic pickles are really tasty, and the pickle juice tastes pretty good...but they aren't store bought processed stuff, and the kombucha doesn't taste like hibiscus and stevia....

Oh well, more for me.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back