Leaving this afternoon with 8.5 K on this oil change

Heading out for Florida this afternoon. As many here know, I have done 10K OCIs for the last 43 years with M1 oils, however several times I have gone on long trips with 8K and above on an OC. This will be in the 2017 Fusion. I expect to have around 11K to 11.5K when I return in 2 1/2 weeks. The oil is still on the full mark as this engine doesn't use oil in my normal 10k OCI.

I'm of the mind that if you are posting about it here, you change your own oil. take the 30 minutes and have peace of mind on the return trip when you are clocking over the OCI you are used to. Any little issue with the engine after this will be blamed on this incident even though it is 99.99% likely there will be no issue.

Put some good fresh oil in your baby. make sure to warm it to the ambient engine temperature so it doesn't give it a chill when you pour it in. :)
The engine will smiling as big as you are as you travel to sunny florida.

I'm of the mind that if you are posting about it here, you change your own oil. take the 30 minutes and have peace of mind on the return trip when you are clocking over the OCI you are used to. Any little issue with the engine after this will be blamed on this incident even though it is 99.99% likely there will be no issue.

Put some good fresh oil in your baby. make sure to warm it to the ambient engine temperature so it doesn't give it a chill when you pour it in. :)
The engine will smiling as big as you are as you travel to sunny florida.
Yes, I have been changing my own oil for the last 60 years.

5nfdt9.jpg

Good for you.
I will be doing the same with the same filter you use but running 0w20 Magnatec and will have no issues.

Mag comes out pretty at 10k no issues. No GDI in my stables.

Have fun.

I left on a long trip with my Honda with the oil life indicator showing 40%. 40% means something less than 40%, but more than 30% oil life left. Should be fine, right?

Within a couple of miles it clicked over to 30% left. Simple math (30% of 8,000 km = 2,400 km said there wasn't enough oil life left for a 3,500 - 4,500 km trip). So I anxiously watched the indicator. I made it home still showing 5% left (meaning something less than 5%, but more than 0% left). Whew.

That was my second experience with the oil life indicator on long trips. The indicator ticks over very slowly on the highway. We all know that long trips are easy on oil. My Honda's oil life indicator thinks so too.

Enjoy your trip.

I think that we all know it will make no difference in your case, so it all depends of how much free time you have now compared to when you come back. If you think you have more time now, just change it, one less thing to worry about when you come back home tired after a long trip.

Edit - Just noticed you are going this afternoon, so no time to do it before, have a nice trip!

Last edited:
Back