Leave Valvoline Synchromesh or swap it out

So we've had some record breaking heat the last couple of days. The little Cruze was feeling pretty notchy especially in first and reverse. It's the 2016 Cruze limited 1.8 with the m32 6 speed manual.
After I bought it I realized that the previous owner just had the transmission fluid changed at Valvoline where they used Max life ATF. Everyone on the cruze forums says to use amsoil Synchromesh. I cannot source that locally so I ended up just getting some Valvoline synchromesh. Put it in so far it feels pretty decent I understand that it's probably on the thicker side for that transmission. So the question is should I roll with it for say 50,000 miles or should I swap it out for some redline mt-lv. The factory fill is apparently Castrol b303? I don't know a thing about that stuff. Either way the Valvoline fluid seems ok for now but I wanted wiser opinions.

Valv syncro is a pretty stable oil judging by the pds so it should hold up better in this heat. If it shifts good leave it in there i suppose. But if you want to go thinner redline or royal purple make thinner oils. Both in the 7cst range.

valv syncro has a vii of 157, a kv100 of 8.8, and a kv40 of 49.9 and a good flashpoint of 201c. Pennzoil synchromesh costs the same $10 a quart at autozone and has a vii of 208, a kv100 of 9.1, a kv40 of 41.8, and a lower flashpoint of 195c.

Last edited:
Is synchromesh or ATF GL4 rated? BOT303 is. BOT402 was originally used. But, the limpwristed couldn't shift and the greenies wanted better MPG.

I would order the correct or similar GL4 fluid and change it out. And, I would consider the Amsoil, Redline, or other brand equivalents.

Typical automaker forum recommending something they don't understand:
tumbling.jpg

Is synchromesh or ATF GL4 rated? BOT303 is. BOT402 was originally used. But, the limpwristed couldn't shift and the greenies wanted better MPG.

I would order the correct or similar GL4 fluid and change it out. And, I would consider the Amsoil, Redline, or other brand equivalents.

Typical automaker forum recommending something they don't understand:
View attachment 103837
I have read that a lot of Synchromesh products could meet the gl4 spec but I am not sure how all that works to be honest. That's above my pay grade.

The earlier M32 are quite notorious for destroying themselves, something to do with an end case bearing?. Recommendation is usually a 75w80 GL-4 Manual Transmission Oil. I don't think they're fussy.

Back