Leather

Status
Not open for further replies.

q12

Is there a cleaner/conditioner that also will give leather seats some "slip" so that I don't feel glued to the seat?

Mother's Leather Cleaner, and Leather Conditioner.

They actually just came out with a new 2-step set called Leather Tech

Originally Posted By: q12
Is there a cleaner/conditioner that also will give leather seats some "slip" so that I don't feel glued to the seat?

Land O'Lakes?
lol.gif

Armor All Leather Protectant. Best stuff I've ever used. Lexol made me feel as if I was glued to the seat and attracted dust. I HATED that stuff!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Armor All will make it feel like you're drifting.

X2 plus your leather is probably coated anyway so OTC leather conditioners won't actually condition.

I don't understand why you would want the leather to be slippery? That means you have excess product not being absorbed. Doesn't sound safe.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I don't understand why you would want the leather to be slippery? That means you have excess product not being absorbed. Doesn't sound safe.

Why am I reminded of 80s hair...

Ok, ok. Leatherique.

I like Leathermasters protection cream, perfect for coated/protected leather. But if you like your leather greasy, slippery and shiny, then use one of those OTC products like Armor All. Not exactly good for your leather, but will give you that slippery feel your after ; )

The first step is to determine whether your "leather" seats are actually leather or whether they're leather with a plastic coating.

Applying Lexol or other leather conditioners isn't going to do your seats any favor if they're coated, and the vast majority of American and Japanese cars are.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
Anyone ever use Leather Honey? Lots of positive feedback had me tempted. Need to pick something for spring detailing.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003IS3HV0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I have tested it a little this winter on the top of my rear seats. It seems to slowly soak in and leave the surface shinny. Of course this is winter with colder temperatures. Also,I did not try to really clean off any excess. However, I think it seems to condition the leather and make it softer.

Last edited:
LEXOL. Period.

Well, I also use "Connolly's Hide Food."

The 2 "bad reviews" people gave Lexol is IMHO, because they either used too much and/or did not let it absorb. Lexol is cheap enough $5-7 at PepBoys, that if you don't like it, it's not a major loss.

They also have single use wipes for a buck that they often have at the checkout line or can even be found at some gas stations.

Lexol was developed about 40yrs ago for the horse trade (saddles).

It's cheap, and not difficult to find, every auto store has it. I use it on just about everything...that's leather and could use some moisturizing.

"Connolly's Hide Food" (you'll probably have to order it on-line. But I swear by it's 100-125yr+ formula). There are petroleum based ingredients, but plenty are natural.

Both will give you that little "slip" you're looking for.

Although Connolly is no longer in business after 125+ yrs
frown.gif
its "hide food" and name/logo (for small leather goods) is back on the market. Connolly provided hides for EVERY expensive vehicle you can think of. From Bentley to Ferrari.

It can be expensive stuff, but it's VERY VERY thick stuff, you only need small amounts and you really need to massage it into the leather. It's VERY rich in oils and lanolin, which will keep your leather looking good and feeling good. Imagine the thickest hand cream you can imagine, then multiply it by 10. Thats how thick this stuff is!

I like to massage it in by hand... no joke, it'll make your hands pretty soft too LOL.

As I was saying, Connolly is unfortunately no longer in business, but the Hide Food recipe/formula was sold and is back on the market, along with their cleaner.

I like to use Lexol maybe once a month. And about 2-4x a yr I'll use the Connolly for a deeper moisturizing. Once again, don't let the price fool you, a jar will last you 10+yrs. (depending on how many vehicles you have, how much and often you use it).

The mistake many people make with Connolly is that they use too much and then they end up with "thick goo" all over their seats.

Once again, use a little, start in a small area, and rub it it in until it's absorbed. Instead of smearing a somewhat large amount over your seat, only to wipe it off, waste it, and not really help "feed" you leather.

The Lexol is very thin and good for a quick wipe down and you're good after 5mins. The Connolly, you need to leave it overnight! At least thats what they recommend.

Lastly, neither give you ANY type or "glossy" finish like Armour All. They both have a matte like finish. And if you follow their instructions, will make your leather look like new!

Make sure you use the cleaner (lexol is fine, Lexol wipes are handy for cleaning, although I do like Connolly's Cleaner.) or all you're doing is pushing the dirt into the leather.

_L3O7151.jpg

41XKjJ-oIeL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
The first step is to determine whether your "leather" seats are actually leather or whether they're leather with a plastic coating.

Applying Lexol or other leather conditioners isn't going to do your seats any favor if they're coated, and the vast majority of American and Japanese cars are.

+1

The ones Im familiar with are Honda, which is more plastic than leather. My 30 year old MB tex vinyl feels more realistic than that coated stuff
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes, true. What vehicles have real, uncoated leather these days? A Bentley or Rolls?

It's been a while since I sat in a new Roller but the quarter million dollar merc we went to lunch in yesterday was painted leather.

I see very little 'open' hide and I clean leather for a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back