Leather or cloth interior? What is your preference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like cloth seats like the ones in my Wrangler Sahara and the sport seats in the ti- cloth center sections with leather bolsters. I also like the cloth sets in the GTI as well as some of M Sport cloth seats that are available on European BMWs.

Having said all that, the cloth seats(and the un-listenable audio system) in the base Mustang GT kept me from buying one. I was very disappointed with the cheap looking upholstery; all I could think of was, "A 1986 Hyundai Excel called- it wants its interior back."

I've always owned cloth and never had an issue with it. I've ridden many miles in leather and it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I also slide around on it more if it's not a bucket seat. I wouldn't turn down a good used car based on the upholstery type though.

So I guess my vote is cloth if I have a preference.

Cloth for me...Leather for the Queen!
laugh.gif

I miss the upholstered cloth from cars 30 years ago. I have faux leather now in my Camry. It's ok. Prefer cloth but it seems you need to get the leather as you move up in trim levels.

Prefered cloth since I hate sliding around in leather but ive had some rentals that were a mix of both and were very nice. I guess it depends but ive never had a problem with cloth. I think its superior against leather in heat or cold extremes. Depends on the vehicle.

Durable, breathable cloth is my preference. Good leather is also OK, but the nasty, bonded leather they use in most new cars today gets wrinkles that turn into cracks, and doesn't breathe worth a hoot. Perforated leather seems to help as far as breathing too.

I have pleather in my VW, and oddly enough I don't mind it. It's perforated and a light color so it doesn't get as hot as I might have expected.

Give me 80s-style velour or woven fabric sort of like a backpack and I'd be happy either way.

Leather or vinyl. I have vinyl in the Mazda. If you use leather or vinyl you must tint the windows and use a good sun shade on the windshield. I live in South Texas and I never have burning seats or even a burning shift knob. I replaced my factory knob with a weighted metal knob.

Our 67 Ford LTD had seats made of interesting cloth. It was breathable fabric made with fibers that were not absorbent. It was also very durable; it outlasted the body. Great for families with kids. It was also my father's patent. Us three kids probably provided some motivation for the idea.

The industry is developing some nice faux leather that feels every bit like real leather, but is more durable. They're even adding odor to make it smell like leather.

My convertible has leather seats.... not a good place for leather.

Cloth because I have two young kids in car seats. I am always nervous about cracking the leather, especially with something that is permanently installed such as a car seat. Be a pain to take them off, condition and put back together to prevent it. Besides that I have no preference as long as the seat is comfortable.

Our van and the Mustang both have leather.
Wife pushed for leather in both.
I admit that leather in a convertible is easier to keep clean.
Other two have cloth.
In general, I prefer cloth.

Wow. Surprised by the number of cloth answers. Leather in every car or truck for me. For starters, if you wear suits or wool dress slacks to work, you will appreciate sliding into your leather car seat. Cloth grabs at wool.

Cloth.

Leather cracks too easily, even in cars protected from sun and living in cool ambient temps. I've closely tracked numerous 4th gen F bodies (1998-2002 Camaro/Firebirds) in the cloth vs leather durability. And the data shows that the leather typically starts to show obvious wear on the seat by around 70K-90K miles...and often tears. The cloth seats rarely show any rips or worn spots until well past 100K miles. My 1998 Camaro had 115K miles when I sold it and had no wear spots on the cloth. Very durable material. I don't know if they still use that today.

My 2002 Lincoln developed mini-cracks throughout the leather starting around 65K miles. It almost never stays out in the sun.

All that being said, I only buy used cars. So the choice of leather or cloth is NEVER a factor in decision buying. That's just too far down the list to even worry about...as long as it looks good at the time of purchase. The general public tends to feel leather is better or at least worth more. KBB and other price guides add in for leather seats. Ever since Ricardo Montalban stumped for "Corinthian Leather" on TV car commercials (Chrysler?), leather has been in the forefront.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Cloth for me...Leather for the Queen!
laugh.gif

Same here. We compromised and ended up with heated/cooled perforated leather seats in both of our cars. I still prefer the feel of cloth but at least I can take care of the temperature problems with leather.

Leather without a thought, cloth doesnt clean nor stay clean like leather. My leather seats in the saab are near 200k miles still in great condition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
The DD I have now has Alcantara. I like cloth but this is better. No leather.

+1 on the Alcantara, great stuff

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Leather without a thought, cloth doesnt clean nor stay clean like leather. My leather seats in the saab are near 200k miles still in great condition.

The cloth seats in my Rav4 look brand new. Almost all of the leather seats I see in 12 year old cars are creased and wrinkled if not worth through on the bolsters.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Superflop

The cloth seats in my Rav4 look brand new. Almost all of the leather seats I see in 12 year old cars are creased and wrinkled if not worth through on the bolsters.
sure thats is all in how it is taken care of. Treat your leather with armor all and you get what you get. Spill something on cloth get some grease or milky coffee or some such on cloth and see how easy it is to clean. I just wipe my leather off with a damp rag and go on my way

Cloth hands down. I've had leather and it's just too much work, constant cleaning and conditioning, they crack, could cut if you set something sharp on them, they deform if you leave the back seat folded or if you put a cardboard box on them, etc.

Also, here in the hottest city in the U.S., it's like sitting on lava.

I like leather because modern "cloth" tends to suck. Fuzzy synthetic junk that wears out fast and feels cheap.

Where did all the good cloth go? The houndstooth, tweed, tartan, and wool? I'd love to have wool seating surfaces. The VW tartan is nice.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have had both. Both our cars currently have leather. I think I slightly prefer leather.

Depends on the car make.If its a Honda, then cloth because Honda "leather" is of such low quality, in my opinion. Even my cheopo cars with cloth are better than Honda "leather" seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back