Least expensive oil that meets API SM or SN?

Run a quart of HPL Engine cleaner thru it. Might help?

I‘ve been soaking the rings for a couple of days. I’ve never heard of HPL engine cleaner

4CE97821-E8E5-4E8B-9AAB-6A2BAC4BF21F.jpeg

as others have written, why not try a heavier weight oil? this toyota’s 105hp engine is found everywhere in southeast asia, where big box retailers, gas stations and hardware stores (including ace, which has a big shopping mall presence there) pretty much stock only x-w40 weight motor oils.

Looking at TSC here you can get 10w30/40 for $10.99, they also have 5 gallon pails for $49 if you think you may need that much. I don't know anywhere else that has oil as cheap as TSC unless it's on sale or has a rebate.

I‘ve been soaking the rings for a couple of days. I’ve never heard of HPL engine cleaner

tl:dr What’s the cheapest decent oil you can buy?

I just bought a used car and it’s an extreme oil burner. If my hillbilly fixes don’t work I’m going to need about a quart at every fill up. Right now I can buy a five quart bottle of Providence Automotive brand conventional oil from Rural King for $11.99, which translates to $2.40 a quart. That’s cheaper than Supertech. Any cheaper oil that meets API spec? I’m probably going to be burning either 10w-30 or 10w-40.
Harvest King/Providence brand is $11~ 5quart jug at Rural King

Burning that much oil I would not worry about oil being API, just keep oil in it. The pins out of the grenade on that motor...
From what I’ve read some people have been able to run this particular motor a lot of miles just by switching to a heavier oil. It’s a known issue.

Is it worth trying a piston soak? If not at least change the oil viscosity. At this rate spark plugs, EGR and catalytic converter are going to need changing.

Just my $0.02

Wow, I didn’t realize that oil was S rated.
It is but it's an older license and contains around 1150ppm of phos, they can still claim CK-4\SN until the license expires as it was issued prior to the new API rules about dual rated HDEOs that require a dual rated HDEOs to adhere the the resource conserving S-rating, the big blenders like Exxon-Mobil, Shell, and Chevron decided to adhere to the 800ppm rule a while ago, but Valvoline and several other small blenders still continued selling CK-4\SN rated oils that exceeded the phos limits.

Back