Least expensive oil that meets API SM or SN?

tl:dr What’s the cheapest decent oil you can buy?

I just bought a used car and it’s an extreme oil burner. If my hillbilly fixes don’t work I’m going to need about a quart at every fill up. Right now I can buy a five quart bottle of Providence Automotive brand conventional oil from Rural King for $11.99, which translates to $2.40 a quart. That’s cheaper than Supertech. Any cheaper oil that meets API spec? I’m probably going to be burning either 10w-30 or 10w-40.

See if you can get a deal on used oil from a quick lube place, doesn't seem like it'll be spending much time in the motor anyway😁

Just kidding, that's probably terrible advice

Supertech or Havoline at Walmart, Kirkland at Costco, Farm and Fleet house brand, Formula Shell at Home Depot.

Keep an eye out for these to go on sale or roll back and they're about the cheapest you can get without playing the rebate game.

Running a heavier grade oil worked for my wifes '11 equinox. It used to burn a qt every 750 miles. I have a qt of 20/50 and 10/40 mixed up to top it off with. I run 10/30 instead of 5/30 with a qt of the heavy stuff substituted at each oil change. The dexos nonsense didn't do anything to help it, and my mix doesn't hurt anything that I can tell or see.,,,

I’ve never seen an oil clearance section.
It’s not really a section in stores, it’s more of the fact that you need to be in the right place at the right time when a store is putting oils on clearance. Or hear about from sources such as BITOG and then frequent those stores and see if they’re participating and if you can make a score.

another vote for heavier oil depending on your weather, 15-40 or even 20-50 as noted!!

My local farm store has gallons of 15w40 with pictures of bearded hunters on the label. $10.99 I think?

Dollar tree has half quarts of API certified 10w30 for a buck, but they'll be $1.25 soon so stock up...

You’re in my neighborhood-I used to run Max Life 20W50 with a shot of STP Oil Treatment (Rislone would work too) in an old oil burning 350 TBI Suburban (over 200K, also had lousy oil pressure on 5W30), if you have catalytic converter(s) it would be a good idea to try to slow it down a little.

Back