Least Aggressive 3PMSF Tire in 275/65/18

I am looking for the "least aggressive" truck tire in the 275/65/18 size. Ride quality and wet traction are the highest priorities.

Off-road performance is not a priority since the truck will never go off-road.

Price is not a concern, but good availability is a plus.

least aggressive highway terrain?
any winter driving?

I would probably start with, continental terraincontact HT, great wet traction, snow traction, a little firm on some bumps(which I like).

and then check out firestone destination LE3, michelin defender ltx ms/2, and those kumhos.

Last edited:
I’m really liking my General AltiMax 365s. 4K miles and they are great in wet, dry, and very good in snow. We had 8-10 inches the other day and the little Honda Fit just plowed right through. They are also really quiet. I’m sold. They look like Michelin LTXs.

Michelin Defender LTX ms2 hands down to me.

I don't think the Defender LTX has the 3PMSF rating.

The Michelin Agilis CrossClimate does though, and appears to come in the OP's size. It looks similar to the Defender as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.11.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 6.11.46 PM.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
Sorry, for some reason I thought the OP said he required 3PMSF rating...but now I'm looking at the post again and I guess I was just imagining that. If that is the case then I'd go with the Michelin Defender LTX line.

That’s very close in the size range I’ve had. The continental AT is hands down the best wet-traction truck tire I’ve had. It’s also very quiet. It is not 3pmsf

the BFG Advantage TA Sport LT is a 3pmsf, but very quickly lost wet traction in 18 months on my wife’s crv. I could get the front tires to spin at 30 mph, rolling, when wet…. in the crv. I cannot suggest them for wet traction.

i have the yoko geolandar g015 on the truck now. It is 3pmsf. It handles better than the continental, but takes a slight step backwards in wet traction. The continentals held on to their wet grip far longer than any other truck tire I’ve had. The g015 needed 2 weeks to get the wax off, and during the first 2 weeks they were scary in the rain. Since then they are halfway between new LE2s and continentals, also meaning better than Goodyear all around.

i had the LE2s a long time ago. Both were decent in the wet new, but lost their above average wet traction after 1/3 of the tread was gone. The LE3 should be better. Not sure if they have 3pmsf.

I have the BFG Advantage TA Sport LT on my Jeep, and also had them on my previous Ram. Both have/had about 12k miles. I love them. The Jeep is a beast in the snow with them. My Ram was a rwd Hemi. It couldn't get traction on anything wet, so it was tough to compare there. The tires ride and handle well. Costco often has $160 off a set, so you couldn't beat the price/performance.

Michelin Defender LTX ms2 hands down to me.
That was my original choice, but I figured that having a 3pmsf rating may be slightly helpful if I ever take this RWD truck for a suicide trip to Lake Tahoe.

The Michelin Agilis CrossClimate does though, and appears to come in the OP's size. It looks similar to the Defender as well.

From the limited research I have done, the Agilis CrossClimate was intended for use in heavy, loaded vehicles.....like delivery vans. Supposedly its characteristics will be a poor match for unloaded pick-ups.

That’s very close in the size range I’ve had. The continental AT is hands down the best wet-traction truck tire I’ve had. It’s also very quiet. It is not 3pmsf

the BFG Advantage TA Sport LT is a 3pmsf, but very quickly lost wet traction in 18 months on my wife’s crv. I could get the front tires to spin at 30 mph, rolling, when wet…. in the crv. I cannot suggest them for wet traction.

i have the yoko geolandar g015 on the truck now. It is 3pmsf. It handles better than the continental, but takes a slight step backwards in wet traction. The continentals held on to their wet grip far longer than any other truck tire I’ve had. The g015 needed 2 weeks to get the wax off, and during the first 2 weeks they were scary in the rain. Since then they are halfway between new LE2s and continentals, also meaning better than Goodyear all around.

i had the LE2s a long time ago. Both were decent in the wet new, but lost their above average wet traction after 1/3 of the tread was gone. The LE3 should be better. Not sure if they have 3pmsf.
Interesting - and thanks for the comparison. How long did you have the Continentals for?

I replaced the continentals with much hesitation a little early. I came into a set of take-off oem ford wheels I really liked and refinished, which were in a different size than what I had. So all in all I had about 22k miles on them and at that point had maybe just under 3/4 of their tread and had not lost any discernible wet traction.

i will say, continentals in general are known for a soft sidewall and compliant ride, and these were no different. I ran them about 3 pounds higher for my tastes.

i was very close to staying with them, and went with the g015 knowing DT does the satisfaction guarantee. The g015 drives better-they are more precise. And my mpg is up a small hair with them. But, while gaining that and the 3pmsf, I lost a smidge of quiet, and a smidge of rain grip. all in all I can’t complain of either, both have been my top choices for gentle ATs.

Older thread, but I need to recant my recommendation on the BFG Advantage LTs. After 14,000 miles (1 year), ours have gotten extremely loud. I thought something was wrong with the drivetrain on our Jeep. I'm quite positive it's the tires. I checked everything else out, and it drives 100% fine otherwise. They started sounding like M/T tires. They are still smooth, and wearing evenly. The sad thing is, they still have 9/32nds left. I don't know if we can handle 2 more years of this noise?! Our size is 265/50r20.

Kumho Crugen HT51 is probably the least agressive. Have sold a few with no complaints. tire rack has stock
I have these on our '17 MDX for winter use and no problem for past two seasons. Not as noisy as old General Altimax winters with slight loss in traction vs. true winter tires. I think I paid $650 for four tires in 2020 in 19" size. Good value.

That was my original choice, but I figured that having a 3pmsf rating may be slightly helpful if I ever take this RWD truck for a suicide trip to Lake Tahoe.

Caltrans will still make you chain up with RWD/FWD if there’s chain controls at Twin Bridges/Colfax, 3PMSF or not.

IIRC, Goodyear made a Wrangler “adventure” with 3PMSF that doesn’t seem as aggressive as the Wrangler Duratrac. General’s ATx is 3PMSF. I think the Falken Wildpeak AT and one of the Yokohama Geolandar HT/AT is 3PMSF and seems to be popular with the “adventure” Subaru crowd(and now, Subaru is installing them on the new Outback Wilderness grade).

Caltrans will still make you chain up with RWD/FWD if there’s chain controls at Twin Bridges/Colfax, 3PMSF or not.

IIRC, Goodyear made a Wrangler “adventure” with 3PMSF that doesn’t seem as aggressive as the Wrangler Duratrac. General’s ATx is 3PMSF. I think the Falken Wildpeak AT and one of the Yokohama Geolandar HT/AT is 3PMSF and seems to be popular with the “adventure” Subaru crowd(and now, Subaru is installing them on the new Outback Wilderness grade).
The Yoko Geolandar A/T (G015) is 3PMSF rated, but the H/T is not, and didnt do well compared to competitors in the Tire Rack’s wet road and snowy road tests.

Back