Leases?

Having leased a few times (Honda and Subaru), I had no problems turning them in early, over mileage and with worn tires, but the key there was, I had something in mind on their lot I wanted to buy and turn the lease in for. I just made it clear that if we can strike a deal on that vehicle and you take my lease in free and clear, it's a done deal. Otherwise I'll go elsewhere, which you can absolutely do at any dealer with a lease. They will deal with your lease company if they want to make a deal with you.

Make sure you understand what the residual value of the vehicle is going to be at the end of the lease and any associated fees in buying it out. You want those terms to be reasonable in the event you want or need to buy it at the end. Sure you are going to pay a bit more than if you financed it in the first place, but it just spreads your payments out for a longer period of time. Again, not the wisest financial move, but what is when it comes to vehicle ownership.

Last edited:
When I worked at BMW we would often waive mileage overages and wear and tear to a point with repeat customers. One time I really ticked off the UCM because I grounded an absolutely pristine 435i Coupe without dinging the lessee for tires. The lessee had bought or leased four cars from us and the car I grounded needed absolutely no reconditioning save the tires. I had cleared it with my NCM so I didn't care what the UCM thought.

Originally Posted by MCompact
When I worked at BMW we would often waive mileage overages and wear and tear to a point with repeat customers. One time I really ticked off the UCM because I grounded an absolutely pristine 435i Coupe without dinging the lessee for tires. The lessee had bought or leased four cars from us and the car I grounded needed absolutely no reconditioning save the tires. I had cleared it with my NCM so I didn't care what the UCM thought.

What happened to vehicles which were flagged by BMWNA for having an aftermarket tune?

Did you guys look for tunes at lease end or turn a blind eye?

Originally Posted by nickaluch
Originally Posted by MCompact
In some cases the manufacturer offers so much lease cash that a buyer is better off leasing then turning around and buying the car. A perfect example is the Stinger- where Kia offers over $10k in lease cash.

You have a link for this deal? I couldn't find one . Thanks

Sorry to be late getting back to you; here they are:
2019 Stinger Lease Deals and Prices
2020 Stinger Lease Deals and Prices

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
This is why all the auto companies are going to third party lease return inspections.

That wouldn't have bothered me one bit; I got tired of hearing the whining from knuckleheads who put Chineseum DitchFinder T speed rated tires on their 3er just before turning it in- only to find that they would still get charged for tires because they either weren't RFTs(if OEM) or they had too low a speed rating. Of course they had relied on Goober at Billy Bob's Tanning Salon, Laundromat, and High Teck[sic} Tire Sales who told them, "BMW don't care what kinda tars are on it when you turn it in."
Ditto for folks who never bought it in for service. That said, if a vehicle was about to be turned in and a service was due I would run it through service and have the work done before grounding it- 99.9% of the time it was covered by BMW's free maintenance and it saved me from having to charge the client.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

What happened to vehicles which were flagged by BMWNA for having an aftermarket tune?

Did you guys look for tunes at lease end or turn a blind eye?

I never had an aftermarket tune issue arise. I had an iPad where I would enter the VIN and then go by a checklist it provided. I basically looked for damage(exterior and interior), tire type and tread depth, OEM equipment present(cargo nets, etc), two keys, Owners Manual, damaged glass, etc. No one ever volunteered tune information and I never asked.

Back