Leased VW - FALKEN Tires Worn down to 5/32" in 11K Miles

VW always had top tier tires until maybe 5 years ago when they started to trip offers to be more competitive with Toyota, Honda etc. It is one of the shifts VW made toward being more appliance on the US market.
Except about 20 years ago, VW also used Goodyear Eagle LS-II tires which were utter garbage. They were so horrible that VW acknowledged it and issued a TSB for its poor wear.

Glad my MK4 had Michelins and my Passat had Pirellis (even though I didn't like the P6 4-seasons)

But a competing Corolla can still get Michelins from the factory for the lower end trims.

Except about 20 years ago, VW also used Goodyear Eagle LS-II tires which were utter garbage. They were so horrible that VW acknowledged it and issued a TSB for its poor wear.

Glad my MK4 had Michelins and my Passat had Pirellis (even though I didn't like the P6 4-seasons)

But a competing Corolla can still get Michelins from the factory for the lower end trims.
Yes, GY was and still is hit or miss.

I can wear out a set of good tires in 500 miles if I wanted to, and have. What a wasted thread.

Reactions: CKN
My advice? Air those tires up to the max (as listed on the sidewall) and drive gently. You'll make it to the lease turn-in with plenty of tread left. Cooler weather is coming, tires wear less on cold pavement.

The stock (awful) Nexens are at 7/32 all the way around (and dead even across the tread) at almost 20,000 on my Jetta. I'm seriously not happy that junk is going to make it to 45 or 50,000 before I can replace them. They could at least have the common courtesy to wear out rapidly so I can put something better on...

Back