Lease up soon - advice?

Gonna echo everybody else here, buy it out then sell it. You're in a very good winning situation where I can't see a downside at all.

Thanks everyone. It's not often that ANY forum gives unanimous advice. Thank you all. We'll be calling our bank and Ford Credit/Leasing tomorrow to move to the next steps.

Mike B
20190525_164855.jpg

Are the residual values on leases originated today super high, making the lease payment cheap? I haven’t looked but am curious what it would cost to lease the same truck now, payment wise.

Thanks everyone. It's not often that ANY forum gives unanimous advice. Thank you all. We'll be calling our bank and Ford Credit/Leasing tomorrow to move to the next steps.

Mike B
View attachment 84697
Thats a keeper, especially at the price.
Honestly, I’d be hesitant to buy a new vehicle right now. I’m seeing so many supplier issues lately that I am sure cars are being built with some subpar parts.

So, if one is looking to buy a vehicle this time of the year, should they lease first then buy?

So, if one is looking to buy a vehicle this time of the year, should they lease first then buy?
Depends what they're giving out as a residual. If the residual is really high, then lease it now. Prices will probably come down a bit in 3 years so you would actually just turn it in as it will be cheaper to buy a used 3 year old car than the residual price.

Buy it and sell privately if you want. We were going to do this with an off lease car but it's a car I don't want to get stuck owning and the captive finance company instituted a restriction on selling leased vehicles to third-parties. SOB's.

Last edited:
Not sure. With automakers pouring hundreds of millions into BEV I see poor residual values on ICE because automakers don't want to get stuck with a high residual low demand ICE 3-4yrs from now. Never mind that inventory levels are already ridiculously low.

Like we've been talking for the past two or so years, anyone with a pre-pandemic lease will make out like a bandit in today's market, no matter how you slice it.

You won't touch a truck like that for ~$31K so if you need a truck, by all means finance or pay cash for the residual. I'd find a nice credit union rate and finance it. You could drive it for another 2yrs, sell it and still makes some money. I don't see the current vehicle market changing much, if at all going forward.

If you don't need the truck, sell it for ~$41K and pocket the $10K leftover.

I would personally avoid buying anything new/used at the moment if you can avoid it.

A new lease started today is going to reflect the pricing today. So this similar truck would have a ~$41K residual at lease end.

Back