learned something new today

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine owns a BP station and I saw that one of his pumps was down.Asked him if the filter was clogged and he said no.He then told me that lightning had ruined a computer component inside the brains of the pump.$450.00 for a new part.Ever heard of this before?

The year my dad converted his service station from manual pumps to digital pumps it got hit and he lost all 4 pumps and the control inside the office. He was not happy!
mad.gif

He replaced it and sold the station 2 years later.

Originally Posted By: gonzo
You would think there would be some kind of surge protector?
You would think GM would know how to save it's business after it had been on the decline in market share over the years.
21.gif

Things that make you go "HUH?"
smirk2.gif

Shielded instrument cables, grounding out the wazoo, UPSs, gen sets, etc... and we still loose entire plants with a good lightning flash. Mercifully, most of the time it's just the matter of a restart though. On occation electrical components do get hosed regardless.

Joel

Last edited:
It isn't the responsibility of the pump maker to provide surge suppression. Only the station manager can do that because only the station manager has the ability to commission the surge suppressor in the only place where it is effective. When placed properly surge suppression is as close to 100% effective as you are willing to pay.

Same with the plant equipment that is lost. A million suppressors in the wrong place are inferior to a single suppressor in the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back