Leaping Frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I don't get what's the humor in it?

I think it's a little funny that there have been over 20 posts in regard to a puzzle for Chinese 2nd graders. (Allegedly)

My daughter is pretty smart and I had her try it. She claimed that it didn't take her too long at all. When I asked my wife about it later on, I found out that my daughter had looked up the answer on You Tube, or some other internet source. I guess it didn't take her too long to find the answer....

If all frogs had the same color, finding the solution would be more difficult. The average human can think ahead and previsualize only a limited number of steps with little effort. This game requires thinking ahead 15 moves.

Once you reach this point (I started out with the brown frog), you really can't mess it up. See how easy it is now to previsualize the required moves to complete the game?

2eatkye.jpg

Has anybody used the mathematical approach to figure out the solution?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse

My daughter is pretty smart and I had her try it. She claimed that it didn't take her too long at all. When I asked my wife about it later on, I found out that my daughter had looked up the answer on You Tube, or some other internet source. I guess it didn't take her too long to find the answer....

Makes you think eh, did your daughter show her intelligence by looking up the answer because she knew that somebody has already solved the puzzle? Or should she of hacked away at it for quite a while like I did without thinking of "googling" the solution?
Teaching profession's dilemma these days...

Originally Posted By: moribundman
If all frogs had the same color, finding the solution would be more difficult. The average human can think ahead and previsualize only a limited number of steps with little effort. This game requires thinking ahead 15 moves.

Once you reach this point (I started out with the brown frog), you really can't mess it up. See how easy it is now to previsualize the required moves to complete the game?

2eatkye.jpg

Has anybody used the mathematical approach to figure out the solution?
grin2.gif

sort of.

1 brown
2 green
3 brown
3 green
3 brown
2 green
1 brown
just go one step one way then the next the other way

brown number one forward
green number one over brown number one
green number two forward
brown number one jumps over green number two
brown number two jumps over green number one
brown number three moves forward
green number one jumps over brown number three
green number two jumps over brown number two
green number three jumps over brown number one
brown number one moves forward
brown number two jumps over green number three
brown number three jumps over green number two
green number two moves forward
green number three jumps over brown number three
brown number three moves forward

sweet, I love seeing people express their world vire on abstract stuff.

Trying to attain a visual one on one spread of frogs, then compacting them to the fringes again, I always started with the greens....when describing the process, I just number the rocks.

3, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 4

I work best with numbers, not names.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
sweet, I love seeing people express their world vire on abstract stuff.

Trying to attain a visual one on one spread of frogs, then compacting them to the fringes again, I always started with the greens....when describing the process, I just number the rocks.

3, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 7, 6, 4, 2, 3, 5, 4

I work best with numbers, not names.

...but from what you wrote (in numbers) I can perceive no motion. Now with the image in front of me ..I still see no sequence or motion.

I should have used #1 #2 ..etc..but once I started, I wasn't turning back.

I would have to assign numbers to the rock and the frogs

1/1, 2/2 3/3 ?/4 5/5 6/6 7/7 to depict object and location.

The frogs have no numbers Gary.

My numbers are the rock clicks that I'd suggest when writing a PLC programme on getting the frogs across.

The name (former location) of the frogs is not relevent.

Ah...see ..now you gave the key to the code. Remember, not only am I texturally challenged, I also can't read minds ...yet.

The "just click on the rocks in this sequence" part of it was missing. (now here's where RQ Man would say, "What else would one do with them?"
grin2.gif
)

You made it much simpler to describe the solution.

Gary,
probably a "defence mechanism" that I've evolved to get the point across to people who want the answer, but don't want the mental gymnastics to understand it.

Mori's picture gave nearly the whole game away, but in a single image.

Last week, I was arguing the benefits of an "I" beam for lifting rather than a tube...argued for half an hour on where the effective use of material made one better than the other for same weight....drew 2 pages of formulae, and the case was solved without question...I was trying mori's picture technique first.

Took a few tries, but I guess I caught the trick: When you're hopping about, don't let two frogs of the same color occupy adjacent rocks unless they've reached their destinations.

Man, I bet I could ace preschool if they let me take it again.

Gary,
probably a "defence mechanism" that I've evolved to get the point across to people who want the answer, but don't want the mental gymnastics to understand it.

Last week, I was arguing the benefits of an "I" beam for lifting rather than a tube...argued for half an hour on where the effective use of material made one better than the other for same weight....drew 2 pages of formulae, and the case was solved without question...I was trying mori's picture technique first.

I've got a few missing interconnects in the wetware.

We used Kay-Ray Sensall isotope transmitters for our level indications. Since the receiver, like the "source" was about a foot long/tall, it gave us about 1' of control over a 30 foot vessel that had vast differences in level due to the mass boiling then being dashed with cold feed. I kept pondering the problem for a good while and figured that the best method would be something floating in the mass that transmitted a signal, but couldn't figure out how one would manage that with the incredible turbulence of the vessel with 3500gpm output of the forced circulation heat exchangers.

When I mentioned my pondering to the engineer, he tossed me the manual to the new level indicators to be installed at the next shutdown. They used a side armed still well (tube) that ran parallel to the vessel tapped high and low on the vessel ..and a metal magnetic phallus floated in the tube and that output was read.

I just couldn't manage the missing link on getting it to work.

Gary,

i beams are more susceptible to local buckling so make sure the webs are braced

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Ah...see ..now you gave the key to the code. Remember, not only am I texturally challenged, I also can't read minds ...yet.

The "just click on the rocks in this sequence" part of it was missing. (now here's where RQ Man would say, "What else would one do with them?"
grin2.gif
)

You made it much simpler to describe the solution.
Maybe you really could use those spores for microscopic study, pattern man.
grin2.gif
More than one way to skin a cat you know (looks like there's some good folks on here too
55.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back