Leaky propane bottles

Anybody had a disposable propane bottle leak on them? Picked up a couple of the tall skinny ones from my wife's late uncle, unknown how old they are but they appeared to be unused. After I partially used one on the camp stove, I could hear it hissing. Tried poking the valve a couple times, but it was still going. Found out I could buy some brass caps to cap them off, so I ordered a few. Put my torch head on in the meantime to hold it until they arrive, but that's a first for me.

No but it wouldn't surprise me. Generally when I hook one up to something, it stays hooked up till emptied.

At the same time I should think about this more because I relay on that, that if the old bottle leaks, the widget using it will seal, but as my widgets get older, they too may leak! All my widgets that use propane are well over two decades old. However I store little bottles in the garage, 20lb grill tank outside, so it is unlikely that much would accumulate without anyone noticing and some ventilation clearing it out through normal activities.

I may eventually come across this too because it annoys me to throw away a seemingly good bottle, so somewhere I have one of those 20lb tank adapters to refill the little ones... just haven't emptied any little ones since I got the adapter.

I know on the 20lb tanks it is mandated that they have a date code. Anyone know if this is true on the little ones? Maybe not since not considered refillable.

Last edited:
Yes, they need to be recertified every 5 years to 10 years depending on the tank type. They are actually quite dangerous when homeowners start storing them inside, instead of outside with the grill. It's why cylinder exchanges are SOP.

There's a few wear items in the POL valve. The overfill prevention device (OPD), pressure relief valve seal, and outlet piston oring (basically a schrader) can all leak.

No but it wouldn't surprise me. Generally when I hook one up to something, it stays hooked up till emptied.
That's what I usually do. You can buy those brass caps, and they work. I use them if and when I refill one that I'm not going to screw on to something right away.

Another thing I do when they're empty and I want to refill them, is to give the valve a shot of this stuff. It's a non gumming lubricant that's meant for locks. I push the valve down and allow a small amount it to run into it. It doesn't hurt anything you attach it to when it's full. And I've never had one leak that gets that treatment.

Yeah my pound cylinders leak. Annoying. Use the torch head as suggested.

I've had a few disposable ones leak after disconnecting them. Most will only seal for a few connect/disconnects.
I've got a refill adaptor I use when camping to recharge lantern bottles off a 20 lb. tank.
Didn't know there were sealing caps for them, thanks for that tip, makes for safer transport or storage.

None of the little disposible ones have leaked for me. Thankfully that includes an old MAPP gas one - with real MAPP gas.

I refill the 1lb bottles for my camp stove and lantern. When they get old, dirty or well used, they do start to leak/hiss. I bought some brass caps with a rubber seal for an extra level of safety. But, once they start leaking, I'll use it up and recycle it. There are plenty empties to be had at campgrounds.

Back