Leaky just installed new TPMS sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tire dealer installed the 5 Denso units after their approval and Lexus mechanic approval that they were the correct ones.

The light did not come on immediately. It was a a few weeks to a month after the installation. I don't remember exactly as it was 10 months ago when I had the Denso's installed.

After erasing the code about 8 or so times over this 10 month period , I ended up with Lexus mechanic trying to register the TPMS and he could only get 2 to register.

He didn't understand it. When I checked everything with my scanner it always showed 3 that were not receiving a signal. Heck, I may have gotten some fake Denso ones off Amazon.

@Gebo
"The tire dealer installed the 5 Denso units after their approval and Lexus mechanic approval that they were the correct ones."

It is a shame that the Lexus mechanic did not verified if there was 5 registered units at this point and 5 units receiving signal. This would be the baseline measurement.

"When I checked everything with my scanner it always showed 3 that were not receiving a signal".
The Lexus mechanic verified that 3 units could not be registered. It kinda of points to 3 units gone bad and are defective.

I wasn't clear. The Lexus mechanic had nothing to do with the initial install at the tire dealer. He lives almost 2 hrs from me.

I sent him a pic of the Denso I wanted to order from Amazon. He said that was the right ones.

After about 10 months of me alone restring the codes, I went to the tire dealer and he said I would have to take it to Lexus. That's when I called my Lexus guy and he said drop it off at his house and he would get the TPMS to link up with my cars computer. In the process, he said I only had two he could program. I had 3 that his machine would not recognize.

I hope that makes sense. As far as I'm concerned, I messed up buying the Denso ones off Amazon. It's on me

Originally Posted by Gebo
I wasn't clear. The Lexus mechanic had nothing to do with the initial install at the tire dealer. He lives almost 2 hrs from me.

I sent him a pic of the Denso I wanted to order from Amazon. He said that was the right ones.

After about 10 months of me alone restring the codes, I went to the tire dealer and he said I would have to take it to Lexus. That's when I called my Lexus guy and he said drop it off at his house and he would get the TPMS to link up with my cars computer. In the process, he said I only had two he could program. I had 3 that his machine would not recognize.

I hope that makes sense. As far as I'm concerned, I messed up buying the Denso ones off Amazon. It's on me

Thanks for the information.
I got home early and the wife complained that the tire monitor is a solid yellow. All 4 tires measured were 35 lbs and essentially no change from last nite. Called the technician and told him I am returning to verify registration of the units and the cause of the event in the log file.

I depressed the TPMS reset, the tire symbol flashed several times and then returned to a solid yellow. We pull out of the driveway drive 2mi and miraculously the tire symbol v disappears. Bad news this means that there will be no error event logged. The technician hooks up the OBD and gets the following 4 TPMS + the spare codes. See pic. As expected the registered units have no recorded error events.

[Linked Image]

Patrick,

For what it's worth, I was having my tires road force balanced this week at a local tire shop. They have the Hunter 9700 so they have gone all the way in tire balancing. I asked the front office if they could install TPMS on my Lexus. They said (to corroborate
what my normal tire dealer said) that they could not sync up Lexus TPMS systems. They said I would have to go to the Lexus dealer (about 1.5 hours away).

It seemed mine would communicate for a while and then lose communication. IDK. This is my wife's daily driver so it got driven every day.

If I were you, I'd get the Lexus TPMS's from Lexus and have Lexus do it. Probably be several hundred dollars but you will be good for 10 years or so. You may be able to return the RockAuto ones.

I lived this TPMS "[censored]" for too long and wasted way too much time and money. Every month or so my wife would say, "Gary, that stupid light is on. I thought you said you fixed it. Why can't you just fix it?"

I'm not saying you can't get it worked out but 2 tire shops said I would have to go to Lexus to get things to work. I trust both of them as they have been in business many years.

Patrick,

For what it's worth, I was having my tires road force balanced this week at a local tire shop. They have the Hunter 9700 so they have gone all the way in tire balancing. I asked the front office if they could install TPMS on my Lexus. They said (to corroborate
what my normal tire dealer said) that they could not sync up Lexus TPMS systems. They said I would have to go to the Lexus dealer (about 1.5 hours away).

It seemed mine would communicate for a while and then lose communication. IDK. This is my wife's daily driver so it got driven every day.

If I were you, I'd get the Lexus TPMS's from Lexus and have Lexus do it. Probably be several hundred dollars but you will be good for 10 years or so. You may be able to return the RockAuto ones.

I lived this TPMS "[censored]" for too long and wasted way too much time and money. Every month or so my wife would say, "Gary, that stupid light is on. I thought you said you fixed it. Why can't you just fix it?"

I'm not saying you can't get it worked out but 2 tire shops said I would have to go to Lexus to get things to work. I trust both of them as they have been in business many years.

Keep us updated. Thanks

Posting today's Saturday morning exercise: the LEXUS ES350 TPMS reset procedure.
The independent garage verified all 5 TPMS were registered but I forgot to ask about live tire pressure data. That would have indicated everything is working.

I wanted to do the threshold reset that I did two years ago in December when the temperature triggered the tire monitor icon to ON.
Never had any TPMS issues since then.

My desired tire pressure is 35psi.
Dropped all 5 tires to 30psi with the trunk's spare tire valve stem pointed to the 5'oclock position.
Leave the key fob in the cup holder.
Depressed start/stop twice to START mode.

Tire monitor icon came on and then turned OFF which is a good sign. No flashing of tire monitor icon.
Turn off all accessory items.

Depressed and hold TPMS reset button and count for the three tire monitor flashes then release the reset button.

The car needs to remain in start mode. Allow minimum of 20 min. Did breakfast and waited for 60 minutes.

Returned and depressed start/stop button- the car is in OFF mode.

Inflated all 5 tires to 38psi.

Drove around the 'hood' and onto the expressway. Recorded drive time was 33 minutes.

The next event error fault, I am returning to the independent garage to read the error.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I thought you were dealing with your Lexus? Does this apply to your car?

Last edited:
I thought you were dealing with your Lexus? Does this apply to your car?

Yes, it is my wife's Lexus but the Denso TPMS part # is applicable for both Toyota and Lexus. I posted the link because it probably covers Lexus too. The link said Toyota used two OE suppliers Denso and TRW.

By the way the Denso repair kit arrived and the grommet is no different than what was on the 09 Lexus TPMS. The Rockauto price is 1/3 the price of a Toyota dealer.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Posting today's Saturday morning exercise: the LEXUS ES350 TPMS reset procedure.
The independent garage verified all 5 TPMS were registered but I forgot to ask about live tire pressure data. That would have indicated everything is working.

I wanted to do the threshold reset that I did two years ago in December when the temperature triggered the tire monitor icon to ON.
Never had any TPMS issues since then.

My desired tire pressure is 35psi.
Dropped all 5 tires to 30psi with the trunk's spare tire valve stem pointed to the 5'oclock position.
Leave the key fob in the cup holder.
Depressed start/stop twice to START mode.

Tire monitor icon came on and then turned OFF which is a good sign. No flashing of tire monitor icon.
Turn off all accessory items.

Depressed and hold TPMS reset button and count for the three tire monitor flashes then release the reset button.

The car needs to remain in start mode. Allow minimum of 20 min. Did breakfast and waited for 60 minutes.

Returned and depressed start/stop button- the car is in OFF mode.

Inflated all 5 tires to 38psi.

Drove around the 'hood' and onto the expressway. Recorded drive time was 33 minutes.

The next event error fault, I am returning to the independent garage to read the error.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sunday, all tires except front passenger(36.5) measured 37.5/38 psi. Saturday drove to the market 40min total round trip. Tire monitor icon was OFF during the trip.

@Gebo based on the following information the proper TPMS diagnostic tool would need to unlock the ECU, to have the Ids recognized and ECU re-learn completed. The looping ECU condition causes yellow flashes and needs to be unlocked. According to ATEQ, a TPMS tool manufacturer Toyota/Lexus is one of the most difficult re-learn processes.

ATEQ Toyota Lexus re-learn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back