Leaky 6R80

Well the title says it all. Serviced about 70K miles ago at a dealer according to records. How can I prevent this from happening? Locktite? I assumed the dealer torqued it right.

Also - I bought a new gasket, but my neighbor said they are reusable. Then he saw the leak and said maybe not. What do you think?

I am planning on 7 qts of Mercon LV, an FT-188,and Lubegard Red for this. Also bought the Dorman pan for $26. I have it for all my cars and it is great transmission insurance. I have a measured container and what comes out goes back in.

It is not that bulkhead connector. That looks dry as a bone. The leakage starts at the seams.

20220624_193723[1].jpg
20220624_193751[1].jpg

Don't assume the dealer torque'd it right.

Replace the vent and the plug seals.

Use a torque wrench on those pan bolts/screws and ATF filter.

Don't assume level is correct. Leak could caused by a gross overfill. Use a scan tool for ATF temp.
I don't have that TSB problem. Mine is an 11 and dry. Does the dipstick plug have a gasket?

No scan tool needed. The F150 proudly advertises trans temp on the dash, both analog and digital!

There is a "gauges" screen, only one PID - Trans Temp :(. Like it is teasing you.

Looks like the bellhousing is wet pretty high up, Sure it's not overfull & some fluid didn't get expelled from the Vent?
I was thinking this too. I have the same transmission in the same vehicle and I've had a little experience in this department. Considering this picture....if this is the 3.5l Ecoboost....I'd take a look at the vacuum pump. The seals are known to fail all the time on this thing. It's best to get an inspection mirror to find it and looks for motor oil dripping off of it. If it is indeed leaking, the repair isn't bad, I replaced the whole pump and the tech manual calls for rtv being added to the new gasket. (New gasket comes with new pump). Also, when I dropped my transmission pan and reinstalled, I too had leaks when I added fluid. I noticed the pan was rather picky....I had to reloosen all the bolts and retorque....for a more uniform torquing sequence. So apparently my pan had gotten slightly cockeyed. Those bolts are to be torqued to something like 96 inch pounds.... which isn't much. Don't gronk on them, they will snap. Ask me how I know. Good luck, if my post isn't clear enough, ask and I can try clarifying.

Edit. I didn't mess around using an old gasket on the pan. I replaced it. Oh, if your in there, go ahead and replace the transmission filter too

Last edited:
I was thinking this too. I have the same transmission in the same vehicle and I've had a little experience in this department. Considering this picture....if this is the 3.5l Ecoboost....I'd take a look at the vacuum pump. The seals are known to fail all the time on this thing. It's best to get an inspection mirror to find it and looks for motor oil dripping off of it. If it is indeed leaking, the repair isn't bad, I replaced the whole pump and the tech manual calls for rtv being added to the new gasket. (New gasket comes with new pump). Also, when I dropped my transmission pan and reinstalled, I too had leaks when I added fluid. I noticed the pan was rather picky....I had to reloosen all the bolts and retorque....for a more uniform torquing sequence. So apparently my pan had gotten slightly cockeyed. Those bolts are to be torqued to something like 96 inch pounds.... which isn't much. Don't gronk on them, they will snap. Ask me how I know. Good luck, if my post isn't clear enough, ask and I can try clarifying.

Edit. I didn't mess around using an old gasket on the pan. I replaced it. Oh, if your in there, go ahead and replace the transmission filter too
This is a 6.2L truck, my neighbor has an ecoboost, we changed the leaky pump. And the timing chain too :lol:.

I plan on changing fluid, filter, and gasket. And like I wrote above, a new pan too, with a drain plug. I will try to investigate where the bellhousing leak is coming from. I also have an inch/lb torque wrench.

I hope no pan bolts are seized, but they were removed at one time. The leak may be a good thing :lol: Trans fluid is the ultimate penetrant.

Back