Leaking Something - What are my next steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you switch immediately over to synthetic after the ARX? I waited 2 more oil changes on dino to see if my rear main oil leak would stop, which it did not. (It was leaking before the ARX, too.) I tried this stop-leak at the recommendation of another tech and found it worked for me. http://stores.ebay.com/Best-Automotive-Solutions I felt it was easier than pulling the transmission out of my old truck to replace the rear main seal that was leaking. Not cheap stop-leak, though. Since then, switched over to synthetic oil and still not leaking.

As far as which fluid is leaking, it sounds like you may have some coming from the rear main seal of your engine and possibly a tad from the front seal of the gearbox.

I continued using dino in the engine after the ARX treatment. I got under there again today and now feel like this is likely only engine oil. I am kinda hoping it is the oil pan gasket or something but from the location and drip trail it looks to be right where the rear main is.

I'll check into that stop leak - what is it? an oil base with tons of seal conditioners?

Hi,
I just noticed some oily spots on my driveway today. I crawled underneath and was saddened to see that I had some oil dripping from what appears to be the area at the very front of my manual transmission. Now I'm looking for advice from you guys on what you think my next diagnostic step should be, and any recommendations for a fix.

The vehicle is a '98 Ford Ranger with 3.0 and manual transmission. I have never seen any leaks in the past. This past fall I did Auto-RX both the engine and the transmission and I switched the transmission fluid over to a full synthetic. The fluid appears in color to be the honey color of my engine oil, but it smells stinky like the synthetic trans fluid I put in.

Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back