Leaking coolant, head gasket concern?

I think we are going to pass on it at this time. The only way I'd want to pursue is if we got the leak fixed (too much $$ and not worth the cost) or if a stop leak product was able to stop the leak (unlikely). I'm not thrilled with coolant leaking on the road where it is parked, and just over one night it left a sizable amount.

I’d feel different about it if I had some assurance that the leak wouldn’t get worse over the next 2 years or so, but there is no guarantee.

Its a shame, because the car drives well especially considering the miles.

Last edited:
I think we are going to pass on it at this time. The only way I'd want to pursue is if we got the leak fixed (too much $$ and not worth the cost) or if a stop leak product was able to stop the leak (unlikely). I'm not thrilled with coolant leaking on the road where it is parked, and just over one night it left a sizable amount.

Really a wise decision. The costs associated with the maintenance, insurance, registration...all just to drive around in an old junker just doesn't make sense. Use and enjoy the two safe and reliable cars you already own.

Really a wise decision. The costs associated with the maintenance, insurance, registration...all just to drive around in an old junker just doesn't make sense. Use and enjoy the two safe and reliable cars you already own.
I understand where you are coming from, but a 3rd car for muddy dogs and salty humans would make sense for us. I just don’t think this is the one. If that seal were to give on the highway we would likely be on the side of the road overheated.

Who’s to say though? My sister takes it on 5 hour road trips and has had no issues.

I understand where you are coming from, but a 3rd car for muddy dogs and salty humans would make sense for us. I just don’t think this is the one. If that seal were to give on the highway we would likely be on the side of the road overheated.

Who’s to say though? My sister takes it on 5 hour road trips and has had no issues.
Yeah but how do you when it has its last trip left in it? What do they say in the stock market? prior performance is no guarantee of future results.

I hear you on having a beater though, it has its uses. But one tends to get rid of one at the first breakage. It's always a gamble. Usually though with a beater one puts their own sweat equity into it, then it's "cheap" regardless of how many repairs it needs.

Bars Leaks. The goopy stuff will slow down a coolant drip. Your sister's car sounds fine for dogs and local drives Get AAA Gold. About '87 . I was just starting out on a new career.. 3 little kids, mortgage, My commuter was a 50$ Dart that I rescued from a teenager's hack of a lost key. It leaked oil, coolant and ATF . The oil leaks made the engine Bay a filthy mess. I kept ahead of the leaks by topping off and that was it. One afternoon , the thermostat bypass hose split and doused coolant on the belt. No way, I was gonna deal with a breakdown in my nice new work clothes. I kept driving, about ten miles from home, the leaky head gasket , milk shake maker, let go and I coasted over the crest of a hill , then over the bridge to within sight of exit ramp.

I’d feel different about it if I had some assurance that the leak wouldn’t get worse over the next 2 years or so, but there is no guarantee.

Its a shame, because the car drives well especially considering the miles.
Do you know what is leaking? There's a radiator hose right there.

So I did a thing.

I am not an "additives guy" at all, but in this case I figured I would give it a shot. I poured in a bottle of "Liquid Copper" from Bars Leak.

I believe the leak is coming from the timing cover, the cover on these ends up pitting allowing coolant to seep out. I spent about 30 minutes the other day trying to find the source of the leak and this is my best guess based on what I saw. Also, before adding the Liquid Copper, after shutting the car off you could hear a slight hissing sound (assuming this was from the pressurized coolant hissing past the seal). So far, 30 minutes after adding the L.C. there is no more hissing. Time will tell!

Before I get bashed, I did some light research on the product and read quite a few user reviews. Plenty of people had a positive experience when using this for small leaks and had no negative side effects. This is what swayed me to give it a shot. The car has been on the market for a while now and plenty of people have been interested but none of them ever bought.

We may end up with the Taurus after all....

Is that a crack?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211010-164550~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20211010-164550~2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 36
Tried it on a minor HG leak on my Ford 3.8. Lasted one month for me till the gasket totally blew. That would be just a temporary fix at best. I wouldn't waste the time on a patch up repair. Once the HG starts leaking, it's only a matter of time.

If the head gasket is leaking, I would pass on the car. It could totally fail miles from home.
7 months and still working. ;)

Back