Leaking Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by opus1
... In this case, Ray-O-Vac batteries and the "best by" date was December 2019. They used to be my go-to battery when Energizers started leaking for me, but now they're just as bad.
I've seen leakers of both those brands, including never-used Ray-O-Vac D's still in their shrink-wrap. However, Duracells seem even worse, in my unscientific survey. They often damage the device terminals, usually at the negative end.

Carbon-zincs seem less troublesome, where their low capacity is not a problem.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by Donald
What brand were the leaking ones?

I've kept most of them for recycling so I'll go over them and do a little report. Been busy all day today and it's getting pretty late, so not tonight..

WHere are you recycling your alkaline batteries? I couldn't find anyone and everything online says to just toss them in the trash, since there are no heavy metals, making them safer to toss AND worthless to recyclers.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
WHere are you recycling your alkaline batteries?

We take all our used batteries to our community recycling. I guess they sort them out.

Originally Posted by Donald
What brand were the leaking ones?

I've kept most of them for recycling so I'll go over them and do a little report. Been busy all day today and it's getting pretty late, so not tonight..

Here is a list of my visibly leaking (all but one) and corroded (one) batteries. 7 batteries in all. We have most often bought Duracell batteries so this isn't the result of a random test. The Duracell batteries were all purchased at Costco.

(2) Duracell AA Alkaline Within Dates USA
Duracell AA Alkaline Out of Dates USA
(3) Duracell Ultra AAA Alkaline Out of Dates USA
Legion AAA Mercury/Cadmium No Dates China

Those legion batteries have Mercury and Cadmium!? Or did you leave out that they are "free" of these heavy metals part?

Those legion batteries have Mercury and Cadmium!? Or did you leave out that they are "free" of these heavy metals part?

First I've ever heard of Mercury and Cadmium batteries too. But apparently there is such a thing. Only 1 out of 3 leaked too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_battery

I don't remember where they came from but assume it must have been some small light or something like that.

The internet says that due to their toxic components they're now banned in many countries.

First I've ever heard of Mercury and Cadmium batteries too. But apparently there is such a thing. Only 1 out of 3 leaked too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_battery

I don't remember where they came from but assume it must have been some small light or something like that.

The internet says that due to their toxic components they're now banned in many countries.

Interesting!

A lot of industrial sealed recombination batteries use cadmium in the negative grid. We made a lot of them in Illinois but had to ship the scrap a to Canada where we also got the lead alloy with the different cadmium ratios in it for the melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back